New Diad

MC0493

Mapnav is eh... I hate to admit that sometimes it does come in handy as a cover driver when you're out blind or want to check which way to go for number breaks. It's not the best by any means but sometimes it helps. I had the pleasure of beta testing diad 6 for 2 days next week, dude who rode with me said it's supposed to be out February next year. It's basically the helper phone with a big case and keyboard, i gave ALOT of feedback to him about issues/things it can't do and so on. It's got a ways to go before I could recommend it, but it was nice to try out.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Mapnav is eh... I hate to admit that sometimes it does come in handy as a cover driver when you're out blind or want to check which way to go for number breaks. It's not the best by any means but sometimes it helps. I had the pleasure of beta testing diad 6 for 2 days next week, dude who rode with me said it's supposed to be out February next year. It's basically the helper phone with a big case and keyboard, i gave ALOT of feedback to him about issues/things it can't do and so on. It's got a ways to go before I could recommend it, but it was nice to try out.
I only have one legitimate purpose for mapnav which is going through a large apartment complex without a consistent numbering scheme. Not even using it when driving, just to see where the dots are because this stupid place has 4 different paths to take to get to an apartment.

Please Call Center

s-l225.jpg
DIAD VI

Staydryitsraining

Depends on where you are. By no means am I in a big city. We tried to hire 10 drivers a few years ago. 2 pt signed the bid. They both quit week 1. Only 4 more people off the street even applied.

One driver couldn’t go from 800 main to 906 main without using gps. Didn’t make it.

One was older and came from another teamsters driveling job. Year in said friend this it isn’t worth the extra pay.

One got caught stealing after 3 months.

One is still there.
Is where your at littered with job opportunities? I could understand that, where I'm at jobs are everywhere and pay for pt compared to other places isnt good at all. We have 4 centers in my building and no shortage of tcds waiting to go ft. Some days the preload is short and supervisors are working but they are still finding people to be hired.

JL 0513

Is this the "DIAD VI" you beta tested?

It's odd enough that they are dumping a ton of money installing these DIAD V cradles 7 years into the 5's life, it would be even more odd that they are planning on rolling out its replacement in the next year after such an investment on the current unit.

MC0493

Is this the "DIAD VI" you beta tested?

It's odd enough that they are dumping a ton of money installing these DIAD V cradles 7 years into the 5's life, it would be even more odd that they are planning on rolling out its replacement in the next year after such an investment on the current unit.
Yup that's the one. I miss RDO and just mapping my way around a new route, you learn more that way. Mapnav you just memorize left and right turns between stops and learn nothing.

MC0493

We need purpose built machines. Not refurbished phones.
I kind of agree, Diad 5 feels purpose built where as so far the Diad 6/phone thing seems like an after thought. There was so much :censored2: it can't do it makes me think the developers have never seen a diad 5.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yup that's the one. I miss RDO and just mapping my way around a new route, you learn more that way. Mapnav you just memorize left and right turns between stops and learn nothing.
It's worse than that. Old school driving involves more brain activity, mainly the hippocampus. This brain activity would cause the brain to analyze multiple paths at once, learning navigation as it goes. This person adapts and develops what would seem to be a natural sense of direction.

GPS reliance involves mainly the prefrontal cortex. The brain doesn't adapt. Change anything and it can seem quite stressful.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Map nav
I tried it out for the first time the other day just to see
Cannot count the number of times it led me astray
Good thing I know my route like the back of my hand and know right where I am going each and every stop
And they expect this technology to be the future of this company
That is truly a "good" one

Driver7906

I hope I never have to temporarily come from feeder back to packages after those new DIADs go live. And that turn-by-turn navigation? Ouch.

I had a feeling I was getting out of package car at a good time.

davidix

What kind of trash diad is that? Who's running the show for ups that they continue to make bad decision after bad decision. Orion is a joke, and now some diad with tiny buttons and some navigation system?

They are trying to make the job easier for our replacements. But they are just making things more difficult for the current drivers to do their job. I mean do they want us to be less productive ? Is that what the people up top want. I'm confused as to why these terrible ideas are being pushed.

If I have to follow some navigation turn by turn cell phone that's on some holder I see production going waaaaay down. I guess I'll do 100 stops a day max.

Ups is their own worst enemy.