New DOT Regulations

Indecisi0n

I just don't get it. It's just a thirty minute lunch what's the big deal?? Take it. The sense of entitlement makes me sick. People so entitled that the will break the law and falsify a timecard just so they don't have to take a lunch. How stupid does this sound??????

​I am entitled....to my hour lunch which is taken EVERYDAY at the same time.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
All package car drivers are required to take a 30 minute lunch in their first eight hours. Actually before the. 7:30 mark. We have an employee who is terminated in my local right now for this kind of violation. Also a driver in Kentucky was given a ticket for not adhering to this new LAW.

Then why didn't they union address this issue.. ? Why not change to 8 hr guarantee for every route run. To pension. No option of under 8. That's why we need to request 8 hr days

gman042

Been around the block a few times
If UPS is going to say Both feeders and package are to be treated as equals under the DOT rules then all rules should apply. Not just when it is convenient for UPS. That should go for HOS too.
Back on the last Christmas eve day I had an issue with hours of service. Got a nice little warning letter for it.
I quoted DOT and center manager said that did not apply to package. So which is it? Do all rules apply all the time? Or.....just some of the rules apply some of the time?

If UPS is going to say Both feeders and package are to be treated as equals under the DOT rules then all rules should apply. Not just when it is convenient for UPS. That should go for HOS too.
Back on the last Christmas eve day I had an issue with hours of service. Got a nice little warning letter for it.
I quoted DOT and center manager said that did not apply to package. So which is it? Do all rules apply all the time? Or.....just some of the rules apply some of the time?

Youre being lied to all of the time.

​Youre just being lied to all of the time.

UPSGUY72

All package car drivers are required to take a 30 minute lunch in their first eight hours. Actually before the 7:30 mark. We have an employee who is terminated in my local right now for this kind of violation. Also a driver in Kentucky was given a ticket for not adhering to this new LAW.

It's says you can't work MORE than 8 hours without a 30 minute break. It doesn't say you have to take your 30 minutes before you work 8 hrs. S0 you could work 8 hrs and then take you 30 minute break.

During peak you have to worry about taking your lunch to early and then running into the the problem of having to work more than 8 hrs after it. If that was the case you would have to take another 30 minute break. (ie If you take 30 minute break at 12pm and then work till pass 8:30pm you would again be in violation.

It's says you can't work MORE than 8 hours without a 30 minute break. It doesn't say you have to take your 30 minutes before you work 8 hrs. S0 you could work 8 hrs and then take you 30 minute break.

During peak you have to worry about taking your lunch to early and then running into the the problem of having to work more than 8 hrs after it. If that was the case you would have to take another 30 minute break. (ie If you take 30 minute break at 12pm and then work till pass 8:30pm you would again be in violation.
Your thirty minute lunch has to be completed before your first eight hours is completed. This is the law. If you worked 7:59 you would not be required to take a thirty minute rest but if you worked 8 straight hours and didn't complete you thirty minute break you would be in violation.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
407 you are wrong. We may not drive after 8 hours since the last 30 minute break. If I punch in at 8:45 am, out the building at 8:55 am I can drive untill 4:44 pm then I must shut it down untill 5:14. My supplement says I should take my lunch between 3rd and 6th hour. I am not in violation of the law but I did not adhere to the guidelines of my supplement.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Yes the break periods apply to all drivers of CMV's including package drivers. If you have a DOT number on the side of your vehicle, it's a commercial motor vehicle (and the definitions have been posted ad nauseum on here). A Commercial Drivers License is only required for certain classes of CMV's. Package drivers may not be legally required to have a medical certificate if they drive in an "exempt intracity zone" but this does not mean they are not driver of commercial vehicles and not subject to the HOS regulations.

Physical qualifications for drivers. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Limited exemptions for intra-city zone drivers. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Note that in 2014 CDL holders no longer have to carry the certificate on their person which will be a nice change.

The 30 minute rest period & 1-5 am restart periods apply to all drivers of commercial motor vehicles. Package cars are involved in interstate commerce and therefore subject to the Federal regulations. Some might remember when your DOT number was an ICC number (Interstate Commerce Commission). Again, Package drivers have different regulations governing the required documentation (i.e. logbooks) than CDL drivers, but they are subject to the same regulations as far as the HOS goes.

What is legal and what is enforced in any given area can be two very different things. DOT Enforcement officers are the same as local Police in that they all have their own focus and list of things they let slide. In my State independent and foreign drivers are pretty much guaranteed to be stopped & given the full anal inspection while fleet carriers seem to get a pass unless they do something to get the officers attention. An enforcement officer does not need probable cause to stop any commercial vehicle at any time for any reason.

407 you are wrong. We may not drive after 8 hours since the last 30 minute break. If I punch in at 8:45 am, out the building at 8:55 am I can drive untill 4:44 pm then I must shut it down untill 5:14. My supplement says I should take my lunch between 3rd and 6th hour. I am not in violation of the law but I did not adhere to the guidelines of my supplement.
Sorry but I'm right.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Your 30 minutes has to be in before your 8 is up. So if you haven't taken a lunch by your 7:30, then it's time to shut it down for 30.

Again.......this is all a moot point.

LUNCH IS TO BE TAKEN BETWEEN THE 3RD AND 6TH HOUR!!!!!!!!!

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Sorry but I'm right.
No *, you are not. The guidelines have been posted on this thread and in others multiple times. I feel sorry for my brother who has been, "terminated," in your local over this issue if he actually did not violate the 8 hour rule (which again, because you can't seem to find a clue, says one can not drive OVER 8 hours without a 30 minute break.) He has * a steward who can not read nor understand the government rules.

If you can not provide better for your brothers you need to step down! Do your job or get the hell out of the way and let someone who can actually think do the job that you are incapable of doing.

Last edited by a moderator: