New driver getting sent home

thetee398

I passed Intergrad over a month ago. I called HR when I passed my test to ask when I would start and they said you would get a call later that day. I got a call the next Tuesday saying I would start in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I’m driving for my first day I get a call saying “we can start you till next monday”. I started that Monday worked all 5 days. 3 with supervisor 2 by myself, this Monday I drive up there am told there is no route for me, I worked Tuesday finished in a good time then today websday I get a call saying I’m “laid off and will be back Next week on Tuesday” my supervisor told me it wasn’t cause of anything I did wrong. They also told me I am not able to work as a per loader on days I don’t get work. Is this a normal thing till I pass my 30 days cause I gave up my old job thinking I’d get guaranteed hours here.

How many mimons in a year?
qdDO6hTcyeDks.gif

I think you're supposed to work 30 working days in a row to make book. After that just show up and ask for your 8 hours.
I think it is 30 days working in a 90 day period. A lot of guys trying to qualify this time of year only work a few days a week. Really makes it tough to learn a route. Also new drivers do not have a 40 hour week guarantee.

Walk88

Welcome to UPS. Same song and dance I dealt with. Barely made my 30 within 90 days. Then work one, two days a week. If you're single with minimal bills you can probably make it work. If you have a family, mortgage, etc. It's damn near impossible to survive. You can't bump back until you make seniorty, so that screws you. Think about how long you can survive on making peanuts. I for one cannot. My family and home mean more to me than struggling for years trying to become a steady PC driver.

Snack

I qualified last year. Besides Saturdays, I can count on one hand the number of days I’ve gotten to drive this year. I’m hoping things will pick up in April. I didn’t realize it would be like this.

thetee398

I qualified last year. Besides Saturdays, I can count on one hand the number of days I’ve gotten to drive this year. I’m hoping things will pick up in April. I didn’t realize it would be like this.
I thought you are guaranteed 8 hours a day once you get in union

thetee398

Yes. I’ve been working in the hub on days I don’t drive, but I make less per hour and 8 hours in the hub is a really long 8 hours.
How many days a week are you not driving? I don’t mind gettting 1 day a week off but anything more then that would be tuff

Snack

How many days a week are you not driving? I don’t mind gettting 1 day a week off but anything more then that would be tuff
I have been driving on saturdays pretty consistently. Other than that, not at all really. I have the option of asking other drivers if they want to go home and I can cover their routes, but I feel weird doing that.