New Driver, what to expect?

JonFrum

Would any of my fellow American UPS drivers care to have any ideas on what this Canadian 10pt commentary would include?:wink2:
Perfect the Unperfected
Correct the Uncorrected
Select the Unselected
Reject the Unrejected
Detect the Undetected
Suspect the Unsuspected
Affect the Unaffected
Inspect the Uninspected
Eject the Unejected
Direct the Undirected
Collect the Uncollected
Respect the Unrespected

That's twelve, but you only need to recite any ten to pass.

jer

You will go to school for 4 days you need to memorize the 10 point commentary and 5 seeing habbits word for word, you will need to be able to recited them probably when your driving around with your on road trainer. You'll also need to know the 6 rules of backing, 5 things to avoid slips and falls and 8 things about lift and lowering a package. The 5th day will be a safety ride in your building with the safety guy.

Just remeber it's only a job so be safe and make sure you make it home to your family every night.
Thank you. Appreciated.
I've been looking over the sheet of paper over the weekend.
You will be fine, just hang in there and realize it will get better! It is a fantastic job, and one that will make or break you...totally up to you. Watch out for mean dogs, they hate UPS trucks and drivers...even the nice ones. Ask questions of the senior drivers, mgmt doesnt have the time or patience. Good luck!!
Thank you.
One stop at a time. You will be overwhelmed by the number of packages they stick in these trucks. You just need to work at a quick pace and not focus on how many are still back there.

Before we got EDD we used to have new guys constantly sending in messages telling the center how many stops they had left and that they weren't going to get done. If they wouldn't have been messing around in the truck counting stops they would have had a lot fewer left.

Good luck .. work and drive safely.. and no matter how stressed everyone in management is remember they are just boxes and everyone was the new guy once.

Work and get it done. Got it.

Thank you.

bigbrownhen

Delivering:
Work safely is the most important, at a steady pace. Be nice to the customers, but not too chatty. Always have in mind what your next few stops are. They are in order in the board, well as far as the computer guru is concerned. They don't take bulk stops and where you are one route when you make our last next day air(NDA) delivery into conciteration. You will have to make adjustments as you go sometimes. It is overwhelming at first, but you will get it after a few days. Just do the best you can, work safe, don't have late air, and don't let the customers see how frustrated you are.

Driving:
Always, always be aware of what is going on around you at all times, when moving or parked. Little kids think our trucks are cool and sometimes get too close. The sneaky ones will try and get in or on it, the rotten ones will try and ride on the bumper. Check mirrors and cameras frequently. Try not to park your truck where someone will back into it, if possible, out of the flow of traffic. I will take up two spaces when I back into a parking spot if possible, right in the middle. It leaves enough room for the tail swing and no one will park too close to you. NEVER park nose first anywhere. Always park where you move forward first. Use flashers at every stop.

These are just a few tips. Dont try to be a superstar, just do the job. I wish you the best of luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hen, good advice, especially the park in the middle of two open spots--I use this one quite often and for the same reason(s). However, I do not "use flashers at every stop". I use my 4-ways when I am unable to pull all of the way out of a traffic lane (double parking) or if I have to park in a way which may limit visibility for other drivers. I also use them when I am at an occupied crosswalk, especially on a street with two travel lanes in each direction, to alert drivers behind me that there is someone in the crosswalk. I use them when approaching a RR crossing. I will also use them in advance of parking in a travel lane (on the same street as above) and am amazed at the number of drivers who either don't see the 4 ways or ignore them as I will walk around the rear of the PC to find a car right on my butt waiting for me to move. I simply point to my 4 ways and proceed to make the delivery across the street. I have found that drivers tend to ignore the 4-ways if I over use them.

jer, go in to work tomorrow with your eyes and ears open. Make sure you hold the DIAD while your trainer drives between stops. Use that time to scroll down through EDD (list of delivery stops on truck) to see what kind of day you will have. You will see different symbols and times next to certain stops. These are too numerous to list here--have your trainer explain each to you--but they cover all levels and types of services that we offer. If you have a few minutes between stops go to the pickup log to see what your scheduled daily pickup stops will be on that area. You may have pickups that you complete while delivering and others that you will pickup up separately later in the day.

The DIAD and PAS/EDD have made our lives both easier and more difficult. Easier in that recording packages and running a route are much easier than when we were on paper. More difficult in that UPS realizes this and has added more work to our cars.

We have all been the new driver so do not be afraid to ask questions or for help if you need it, whether here or at your center.

Have fun and stay hydrated.

Dave.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Run; fast.
Always run on peoples lawns, never use the walkways or driveway. If the customer doesn't like it, they will tell you for next time.
Throw packages to front door instead of walking to the door and placing.
When driving, always up to full speed as quickly as possible.
Drink lots of coffee and smoke cigarettes repeatedly.

These are a few examples of what the last on-car supervisor in the great northeast trained me to do while on road. (not joking, here) Hope this helps! ;/

jer

Some usefull replys.

Thank you BBH and Upstate.

Should I bring a pad and pen tomorrow, to take some notes? I was thinking I should, considering it's a class type setting, but not sure how it works.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I assumed you were going on road--by all means you should at least bring a pen. They may or may not have a workbook for your use so it wouldn't hurt to bring a pad.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
long hours, much stress, endless company rules to follow, the work load to increase daily, get use to sups spying on you and never ask about ups socks here.

SWORDFISH

Very strange, never heard of a seasonal driver in the spring/summer time. In the west they cannot hire seasonal people until October 1st. If you where in the west you would be on probation to become a full time driver.
The most important things I can tell you is
- Do what your told unless its unsafe illegal or immoral
- Be safe
- Dont make excuses or argue(its kinda like the military just say yes sir and try to do it even when it seems impossible and if you end up not being able to do it call them and give them enough time to get you help)
- Get to know your shop steward
-Thats just to start off w/ I will give you more info if you make full time
:peaceful:

Don't do anything that could be misunderstood as dishonest. In other words do it by the methods don't cut corners and if you hit something report it asap.

jer

Appreciate the helpfull replies gentlemen.

I still don't get why they don't give you/us socks, when they give us half a dozen shirts and shorts/pants, a belt, hats.......but, w/e got a half dozen on the way.