New Driver, what to expect?

cino321

As much complaining and whining you read on this board, I still think to this day this is one of the greatest jobs in the world.

Never a dull moment, you're outside and alone, and you have the opportunity to interact with hundred's of strangers everyday.

You will have countless bad days, and plenty of moments where you'll be second guessing being a UPS driver. You have to take the good with the bad.

It gets easier as each day goes by, try to stick it out maybe you'll land yourself a career. Good luck.

just interested

I'm new, too. I do my ride along tomorrow and then go to the "Integrad" class for 5 days. Do any of you know how many hours are required each month to count towards earning benefits?

I thought the sock thing was strange, too! :dissapointed:

helenofcalifornia

I agree with Cino. Good job if you are prepared both mentally and physically to work hard and put up with BS to a degree. After the first day, when you get home, you will feel like a truck hit you. This is normal. Advil or ibuprofen will be your best friend for the first couple of days or weeks. I don't care what you do to "prepare" for this job, there is nothing that can prepare you for the beating your body will take the first week until you get used to it. I don't think you get benefits now until after a year of working. I think that is right. Some one else will correct me if I am wrong. Too bad. Used to be 30 days of working would get you FT benefits. Oh well.

Good luck in your driving career. Hopefully, one day you will be permanent.

Socks are a sore subject here. Every once in a while someone will ask where can I get some UPS socks? We have to buy them. For your own good, don't mention socks EVER AGAIN. jk

SWORDFISH

I'm new, too. I do my ride along tomorrow and then go to the "Integrad" class for 5 days. Do any of you know how many hours are required each month to count towards earning benefits?

I thought the sock thing was strange, too! :dissapointed:

For any questions like the one your asking you need to tell where your from because otherwise there is at least 5 different answers to that questions if not more. For instance in my area you need 40hrs/month to keep your medical dental vision benys. To count as a year for your pension you need to work a minimum of 500hrs and to max out you need 2080hrs but all that info is useless if your not in my area.:peaceful:

just interested

For any questions like the one your asking you need to tell where your from because otherwise there is at least 5 different answers to that questions if not more. For instance in my area you need 40hrs/month to keep your medical dental vision benys. To count as a year for your pension you need to work a minimum of 500hrs and to max out you need 2080hrs but all that info is useless if your not in my area.:peaceful:

Thanks Swordfish - the ride along was great! I got a taste of the job, worked hard helping and am a little sore tonight with my calves and shin muscles trying to cramp up on me.

I met the steward and he gave me a copy of the UPS agreement and the Atlantic Supplement, which covers my area - he showed me where to find the answers.

I plan on reading it tomorrow.

jer

Glad today was the last of the classroom stuff. I don't think I could sit at a desk much longer.

Monday, out on the road. Wonder where I'm going.

axel88

I am also a new driver in the North East, and we drive from June 1st til January 1st then we can be taken back down to preload if need be but more than likely will stay on as drivers do to the high retirement rate for our area, at least thats what i was told in my center.

browniehound

As much complaining and whining you read on this board, I still think to this day this is one of the greatest jobs in the world.

Never a dull moment, you're outside and alone, and you have the opportunity to interact with hundred's of strangers everyday.

You will have countless bad days, and plenty of moments where you'll be second guessing being a UPS driver. You have to take the good with the bad.

It gets easier as each day goes by, try to stick it out maybe you'll land yourself a career. Good luck.

I Like your post and agree 100%. If I didn't I would have quit long ago.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
expect to get treated like crap the rest of your working career

Not sure if everyone is treated like crap but if you are looking for positive reinforcement you are working for the wrong company.
You won't get thanked for handling an upside down 11 hour load but will be hauled in the office for being 79% on something meaningless like +/- 15.