New Driver, which center would you pick?

Overpaid Union Thug

Here in the southern supplement, in a multicenter hub, you choose which center you want considering they have an opening. You may be waiting a while. We have a driver who was assigned to a certain center when he started, and then after almost a year he wasn't getting to work, laid off alot, and starting filing grievances about not getting to choose his center. He won and got to move. They are going to try to put you where you are needed, but you do have a choice. You just may lose alot of seniority while you wait for the center you want.
I don't see that in the southern. Must be a local thing.

BrownThunder

So your seniority will "reset" when you move to another center? I could do my 30 days and if/when I switch my seniority goes back to 1?

PT Car Washer

So your seniority will "reset" when you move to another center? I could do my 30 days and if/when I switch my seniority goes back to 1?
My building has two Centers. Drivers can bid back and forth between Centers without losing Seniority. For lay off purposes it goes by building seniority. Same with biding into Feeders. You dovetail your FT seniority.

Cementups

Box Monkey
2 centers in my building and I've worked for both of them. I started with the one that I was more familiar with as it was all closer to home. But eventually I bid a FT cover bid to the other center and never really looked back. I wouldn't mind being able to go home for lunch and such but our two centers are run so different even though they are only 50 yards apart. I will never go back to my original center. Go wth center Y and mix it up and live a little.

rkctkc

I don't see that in the southern. Must be a local thing.

Now that you mention it, I can't find the article either. I see about tcd multi-center hubs openings will be filled by seniority. Thus guy I speak off worked in the same center as I and was getting loaned to a different center and working every day while I was getting laid off. I filed a grievance every week on seniority violation. Union finally got back to me several weeks later stating that I had no case, language says you can choose your center and he did not get to choose. He wasn't being loaned, he switched centers. I just took his word for it that the language was present.

Overpaid Union Thug

Now that you mention it, I can't find the article either. I see about tcd multi-center hubs openings will be filled by seniority. Thus guy I speak off worked in the same center as I and was getting loaned to a different center and working every day while I was getting laid off. I filed a grievance every week on seniority violation. Union finally got back to me several weeks later stating that I had no case, language says you can choose your center and he did not get to choose. He wasn't being loaned, he switched centers. I just took his word for it that the language was present.
Sounds shady to me.

moldsporh

Won't really matter what center you choose, I'd pick the one with the least seniority. You will be cover for awhile and will learn the routes anyway. I'd take the malls or country areas. ....note where all the apartments are cuz they will be a workout and a headache.

BrownThunder

Ended up taking the safe route. I have fantasized about having my old d_ckhead boss (who said I'd never become a driver) sign for his packages. My old job is on that route.

Hopefully this makes my 30 days smoother.

Brown_Star

Methods Man

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 150

browner89

I like your style bud. It's still a toss up and although I'm leaning towards my home town the other city and what I've witnessed has me very interested in working a route out there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Working at home may be more familiar, but you'll probably also grow tired of it quickly and since you'll likely be a cover driver for a few years first you'll want to learn as much of your centers area as you possibly can.

Also, get too friendly with the women where you live and your wife will probably get suspicious, even if you're not trying to pull anything, it's human nature. Tons of people love flirting with drivers who have good personalities and whether its harmless or not your significant other may not approve.

If you have that personality work away from home to prevent issues.

And Yoga pants.

Edit: I just finished reading this thread, seems you already found the flirty types. Have fun! No home wrecking!

WorknLateHuh

That's good that you have a choice. Some centers have a little more free-rein than others. I was offered full time driving many years ago in a very dense city hub. People thought I was crazy for turning it down and waiting for a slot to open in a rural center. Many of the routes in the rural are on average 75 stops/day 150 miles. So glad I waited... love being out in God's country.

I would've been stuck somewhere I didn't want to be for a long time. Sometimes it pays off to make calculated risks