New Feeder Driver

Package Stick

"Send it."
I went and got my CDL at 21, and UPS took me on. 3 years inside unloading, saved up cash, got CDL. Passed the UPS road test (easy), and I start this month as a FT feeder driver.

Any tips for the youngest feeder driver at my hub haha. I can't believe I was able to pull this off. I've never even been pulled over by the police because I knew they might need drivers.

They needed 40+ drivers. I talked to our feeder manager, and he was like "go get your CDL, we'll road test you, you have a job".

So I did.

I know I need a flashlight, good gloves, water, snacks, and a bigger wallet haha.

This world is crazy. I have no idea why the job was unfilled, I thought I'd have to wait 10 years to even get a chance to feeder drive.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not sure where you're at, but in my local if you come straight from part-time you have a 30 day qual period, so don't hit anything. Other than that just relax, you're in the best job at UPS. Welcome to the country club.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
You’re not in package anymore. Slow down. Lives are on the line. There is no such thing as a small accident. Other semi drivers will be flying by you at night, don’t take their lead. You are paid to be safe. Act Accordingly. The rest will follow.

quad decade guy

But....why pay for your cdl?

Ours was free......

Didn't he bid the feeder list?

Then by seniority, get trained, take your test and so forth?

So if he's so wise.....already behind by hundreds if not thousands(I'm not sure what cdl training costs).

quad decade guy

This kid gets it. Wise beyond his years.

Max out your 401k if you can, don't get married, don't have kids, retire a multi-millionaire at 51.
Wow. Except for the multi millionaire(and everything would have to go such a way and you wouldn't have done much in life until retirement)......sounds pretty miserable.

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
If you don't remember doing something. Get out and check again. Don't pull anything that's not road safe. Write things up. Get yourself some zip ties. I use them to secure the dolly and you'll find other uses too.

This job is about safety. Ask a question if you don't know, most senior guys are willing to help if they can.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
UPS Feeder drivers are some of the best trained in the world so always act professional and do not do anything illegal which happens sometimes from dispatchers and bosses.

Bumped into a feeder driver today and he told me they just hired 100 drivers off the street. When I was hired I was #99. When I retired there were 180 feeder drivers. Now over 300 at my old hub.

Most are making about $125k. Some more that have Sunday runs.

Max out 401k and you'll have 3 million or more at retirement. Keep your nose clean. Take your time and do it right 100% of the time.

congrats.

Shiftless

I went and got my CDL at 21, and UPS took me on. 3 years inside unloading, saved up cash, got CDL. Passed the UPS road test (easy), and I start this month as a FT feeder driver.

Any tips for the youngest feeder driver at my hub haha. I can't believe I was able to pull this off. I've never even been pulled over by the police because I knew they might need drivers.

They needed 40+ drivers. I talked to our feeder manager, and he was like "go get your CDL, we'll road test you, you have a job".

So I did.

I know I need a flashlight, good gloves, water, snacks, and a bigger wallet haha.

This world is crazy. I have no idea why the job was unfilled, I thought I'd have to wait 10 years to even get a chance to feeder drive.
Timing is everything! OR? Ya just got lucky!

It can go away just as fast!

HFolb23

As another young guy (25) that just went to feeders don’t sweat it. Accept that you’re the new guy and listen to what the senior drivers tell you. When they help you, return the favor when you can. Most senior drivers are more than willing to answer your questions.

Learn at your own pace from the senior drivers. The guys that cowboy their dolly might be able to tell you how to do it, but that doesn’t mean you should try it for the first time trying to build a set in in the choke point of a busy yard.

You’ll gain respect from the other drivers by showing ability and safety, not speed and recklessness. You already have an advantage by coming to feeders from within and not as an outside hire.

Keep your tractor clean, have some pride in your office especially if you share a tractor.

Double Check everything. Paperwork. IVIS. Hook-ups, etc.

Do it the same way every time and develop muscle memory, especially when building sets.

When you make a mistake, stop and own it. Don’t try to sweep it under the rug or hide it.

Tug test every time. Especially leaving any rest area or truck stop.

If you can’t get a seal on your airlines, a bit a fifth wheel grease off the front lip of the trailer can get you back home.

Good gloves, zip ties, a good flashlight, hammer for knocking tires, glass cleaner, rags, some type of extra layer for rain. Grab a few red tags and keep them in your tractor, even if you don’t have to write anything up, they’re handy to have in case your light cord is loose. Carry a few glad seals and know how to change them.

I have a 12V Radio Transmitter that is nice for being able to listen to your music in the older tractors, even the ones with USBs on the radio don’t always work. I run a CB. A lot of people don’t but I enjoy having it.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Tug test every time. Especially leaving any rest area or truck stop.
Always, always, always check your coupling after leaving sight of your equipment. There are some dirty sons of b* that will pull your pin when you aren’t looking. You better learn quick that a lot of other “professional” drivers HATE us. My father, who is a 30 year driver with another outfit told me to set your hand valve and pull against your brakes to get pressure on your kingpin anytime you are going to walk away from it. This will make it damn near impossible to pull your pin. And even then, check your coupling before you pull off.