New here, new hire, newly qualified

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
just got the call from my center manager last night that i qualified. he was on vacation all last week so tomorrow will actually be day 33 (i think) driving.
turned in my union app on friday. never been part of a union before, all kinds of terminology in here i'm still trying to decipher. anyway, i'm "just" a 22.4 who wants to figure everything out so i ended up here.

can i take my lunch yet?

JJinVA

just got the call from my center manager last night that i qualified. he was on vacation all last week so tomorrow will actually be day 33 (i think) driving.
turned in my union app on friday. never been part of a union before, all kinds of terminology in here i'm still trying to decipher. anyway, i'm "just" a 22.4 who wants to figure everything out so i ended up here.

can i take my lunch yet?

Congrats. As far as terminology, when your center manager says "NO LATE AIR!", what they mean is, "put all your air in pre-record before you leave the center and go enjoy a nice long IHOP breakfast". This will get you off to a good start

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Take all your breaks
Work safe
Never talk to Management unless they have a name tag on that identifies them as Management.
Never talk to Management without Union Representation.
Never use your cell phone to communicate with your center.
All messages through DIAD

Welcome to the Union my Brother!

TEAMSTER STRONG

JJinVA

33 days in and i still have no idea what pre record is...

Definitely don't take my advice first and foremost.

Second, pre-record (PreRec softkey) is a way to record a stop and put it on pause basically. The only time i tend to use it is when I'm doing apartments or retirement homes and have multiple packages for different addresses. Here's an example.

Youre at a ghetto apt where things normally get stolen. Your center tells you that you're not allowed to DR there. So what you have to do is get signatures from all the tenants and if they arent in, you would take it to the main office or try to.

By putting all of the apt stops into pre-record, you can go to the address, knock on the door, if they answer, hit the pre-record button to bring up all stops in PreRec, find their stop, enter it and complete it. If they arent there you just go to the next address. Once you're done making your rounds, you go to the main office with all the leftover deliveries you werent able to make. They are all in PreRec so all you have to do is open PreRec and check LeftAt for all of them and then fill out where you left them at "Main Office", stop complete and youre done.

Its a courtesy to leave a note on the door for anyone who isnt home saying "Will try to leave at main office" since some offices arent accepting pkgs due to the corona virus hoax.

The only other time i use PreRec is when i run EAMs and the info has to be entered manually since I haven't got EDD yet and the stop isn't in my board. Scan package>> enter info >> big arrow down (important to hit big arrow down before hitting prerec otherwise it won't save the pkg info)

542thruNthru

can i take my lunch yet?
Yes you can take your lunch and all your breaks. You made it, congratulations.

Find out who your shop steward is and introduce yourself. He/she will be able to answer questions for you but do your steward a favor and download your contracts and try and find the answer yourself before pestering your steward everytime. :)

Last edited:

JJinVA

Another tip that will help you is, when making regular house deliveries, get used to using the shift key (gold key, or orange). Scan pkg>> shift>> 5>> 7. Once you get quick at it it speeds things up a good bit.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Take all your breaks
Work safe
Never talk to Management unless they have a name tag on that identifies them as Management.

TEAMSTER STRONG
UNION STRENGTH! , UNION POWER!

🧔✊

JJinVA

STRENGTH
THROUGH
SOLIDARITY

I think thats how a union is supposed to work, and I joined it with that mentality that no matter what our political differences are, we are in this particular thing as one. But I dont get that same sense back from the union. Infact, Virginia is talking about forced-vaccinations now, and if UPS makes it a condition that we HAVE to get it or be fired Im striking. I dont know how many brothers would be with me though.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Take all your breaks
Work safe

TEAMSTER STRONG

thank you.

i still don't understand breaks, keep in mind i'm a 22.4 and my on road sup told me that "breaks" are only for Full Time Drivers and that we only get our 60 min lunch break. during my qualifying period, i always took my DIAD into the back of the package car with me without fail. i know training says don't do that, but our pre load method seems to be "blame the driver" and i wanted to qualify so as soon as i knew i had to look for a package i immediately went on lunch break. if i found the package quickly i stayed on lunch for at least 5 minutes cleaning up shelves and noting large packages blocking the door. more than once i stayed on lunch longer than 5 minutes only to realize that it was a frickin call tag stop D'OH! but that's totally my fault so live and learn i guess.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Definitely don't take my advice first and foremost.

Second, pre-record (PreRec softkey) is a way to record a stop and put it on pause basically. The only time i tend to use it is when I'm doing apartments or retirement homes and have multiple packages for different addresses. Here's an example.

Youre at a ghetto apt where things normally get stolen. Your center tells you that you're not allowed to DR there. So what you have to do is get signatures from all the tenants and if they arent in, you would take it to the main office or try to.

By putting all of the apt stops into pre-record, you can go to the address, knock on the door, if they answer, hit the pre-record button to bring up all stops in PreRec, find their stop, enter it and complete it. If they arent there you just go to the next address. Once you're done making your rounds, you go to the main office with all the leftover deliveries you werent able to make. They are all in PreRec so all you have to do is open PreRec and check LeftAt for all of them and then fill out where you left them at "Main Office", stop complete and youre done.

Its a courtesy to leave a note on the door for anyone who isnt home saying "Will try to leave at main office" since some offices arent accepting pkgs due to the corona virus hoax.

The only other time i use PreRec is when i run EAMs and the info has to be entered manually since I haven't got EDD yet and the stop isn't in my board. Scan package>> enter info >> big arrow down (important to hit big arrow down before hitting prerec otherwise it won't save the pkg info)

thank you, that helps. fortunately my training route for the last 30 days kept me out of the ghetto and pretty much everything including apartments (all gated) was DR. I'm not familiar with EAM yet, i'll look it up but if you don't mind explaining it here i'd appreciate it.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Yes you can take your lunch and all your breaks. You made it, congratulations.

Find out who your shop steward is and introduce yourself. He/she will be able to answer questions for you but do your steward a favor and download your contracts and try and find the answer yourself before pestering your steward everytime. :)

thank you. i'm still trying to figure out if i get breaks or not. as stated previously i'm just a 22.4 and my on road sup. told me i only get 60 mins for lunch. i have met both of my shop stewards and turned in my signed app last friday.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Another tip that will help you is, when making regular house deliveries, get used to using the shift key (gold key, or orange). Scan pkg>> shift>> 5>> 7. Once you get quick at it it speeds things up a good bit.

thanks, i'll try to remember this tomorrow when i get a DIAD back in my hands. I'm going to be on a new route tomorrow that i've never seen before so everything helps.

JJinVA

thank you, that helps. fortunately my training route for the last 30 days kept me out of the ghetto and pretty much everything including apartments (all gated) was DR. I'm not familiar with EAM yet, i'll look it up but if you don't mind explaining it here i'd appreciate it.

Early AM packages. Usually commit times before 8:30AM. Your center likely has Air Drivers that run these so you might not ever have to but in the event that you do, the stop wont be in your board. Kind of like a misload (if youve had to deliver one of those yet?). You scan the package and the board doesnt recognize it because its not in there so you have to enter all the info manually. Address number >> Street Name >> St/Dr/Ter/Cir etc >> City >> zipcode and then big arrow down. Same with an EAM. I like to put those into PreRec because they are usually big money packages, can be in the 100s of dollars or thousands of dollars depending on what it is and how much it weighs etc. You definitely dont want to friend that up because youll lose alot of money for UPS. And sometimes, depending on what time the plane lands, you may only have seconds by the time you get to the stop to complete it on time, so if its in PreRec, you can pull into the parking lot, stop the truck, open the stop, and complete it if you see the person youre going to be delivering to at a business, or FD it to the house its going to so it isnt late. Ive saved many a EAM that way with less than 30 seconds to spare.