New hire. Any tips on backing to business docks. That are narrow

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I hate when this happens...
earlydeparturedoklokjustification1.jpg

ibleedbrown

back slowly, constantly checking the concave and the convex, left and right and once you're lined up u can use the back up camera to touch the dock.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It’s a package car, not a tractor trailer.

Here’s a hint, make sure you don’t hit either side of your truck on the other vehicles. It’s like asking how to drive down an alley that’s got cars on either side.

oldngray

nowhere special
Don't rely on the backup camera as a rear view mirror either. It is a very useful tool but your side mirrors are more important.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Huge difference between the drivers who were used to doing with no camera and the newer drivers who rely on it far too much.
I'd disagree, you can usually get them out of that mindset quick. It's something you notice early on and try to correct. I was the same way when I started

rod

Retired 22 years
Huge difference between the drivers who were used to doing with no camera and the newer drivers who rely on it far too much.

I never had a truck with a back up camera in it when I worked. Are they any good or did UPS "cheap out" as usual on their equipment? They always told us if our head was banging into the bulkhead when you hit the dock -you may be going a little too fast.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never had a truck with a back up camera in it when I worked. Are they any good or did UPS "cheap out" as usual on their equipment? They always told us if our head was banging into the bulkhead when you hit the dock -you may be going a little too fast.

They pretty much cheaped out.

bbsam

Staff member
New hire fresh from school. Just started my supervised deliveries this week and my route is mostly industrial so its all backing to docks, most are very narrow with cars and trucks close by so hard to swoop in. Thank you in advance
Don't hit anything.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

They pretty much cheaped out.

Yeah the newer ones are better but the first were total garbage.

Regardless of what OnG says, once you got used to having one, it was a pretty valuable tool.

I hated them at first, and always hated that they were on all the time, but it was certainly nice to know how much room you had behind you when backing.