New package handlers questions

boxerdan

California

Where do you keep all your stuff? If I were to bring a large water bottle, do I just carry it around with me or do you get assigned a temp locker for the day or something?
I can guarantee you that as a new hire...in california...in the summer, you are gonna want your water bottle on you at all times.

My hub does have lockers outside one of the security entrances, and I'd imagine most other urban hubs where a significant amount of the workforce commute by public transit have a similar setup.

Phraust

To the OP: During training make sure to ask questions, some top ones might be the following:
1) How long does the shift run?(Them telling you that you're PT means nothing, I'm PT as well and most weeks lately I'm clocking closer to 40 then 20 without trying for the extra hours, and I'm not so new as to be stuck in my position till end of sort)
2) Bag/Locker Policy: Some centers don't mind a small bag, if there's a security station though I'd avoid it. Early on during the summer I liked to bring a fresh shirt and a towel or 2 to help stay cool but I'm in a fairly relaxed center with no guards.
3) Boot Policy: Some centers are trying to force a certain level of compliance on employees, for the most part it's merely a suggestion they'll hassle you over but until you make seniority do your best to play ball. You've already heard plenty of suggestions on the type to wear. Also ask about UPS discounts, I myself am a fan of Red Wing Boots and we get a small discount with them if you mention you're with UPS.(Also applies to some phone carriers and other useful businesses)
You'll also want to find out who your shop stewards are, even pre seniority it's good to touch base and know the faces and ask questions, they'll often be the ones making sure the company complies with local labor laws for breaks and what not(at least it's something I've had to deal with in my center as a steward)

You've got nothing on us: 70 days.
Now the question is, is that 70 working days? or just '70 days'? For a long time we had passed around the policy it was a 90 day period but in truth it was 'just' 70 working days but somehow that 'working days' part still confuses people...the world is truly doomed...

Hi all, got some questions if you don't mind!

Orientation in 2 weeks for Package Handler at a Hub, 10pm to 4am part time

1)What type of boots do you guys recommend I get?
2)Should I bring gloves?
3)When are breaks/bathroom breaks? Can you go whenever you want?
4)Any tips?
Enjoy your hundred dollar a week bonus for showing while everybody else dont get :censored2:

BrownSnowFlake

1.) Boots:
I wear something similar to this:
They're about $300. When I was part-time I was doing landscaping, janitorial, and maintenance work on the side. Now that I drive I'm always stomping through snow and mud puddles. These keep my feet warm and dry all day. When the soles wear out, I bust out my second pair. Take the first to the store and for $100 they ship it out and get it resoled. I'm a fan of steel toe. We never kick packages but eventually you are gonna try to push something out of the way with your foot (seriously).
2. Gloves
I'm a fan of the Atlas Showa 300.
Even with the coating I can work the softkeys on the DIAD. If they don't give you the manual dexterity to work the scanner you can cut off the fingertips. This will keep you cooler in the summer. But in the winter you might want the fingertips. The cardboard and the dry air suck the moisture out of my skin and my fingertips start to split open.
3. Breaks
In my old building, a largeish sorting hub where I worked night shift, we never took a break. When I got divorced and moved back in with my mom, I transferred to preload in a much smaller center in another state. There we took a 10 minute break sometime during the shift when the unload was waiting to switch trailers. If you gotta piss, wait for a bit of a break in the flow and just go. Let your supervisor or neighbor know you're going, but don't ask for permission. Hurry back. Don't waste time washing your hands, those boxes have been everywhere.

Carry a GALLON jug of cold water in with you, maybe a small lunchbox with some protein bars and fruit. I highly recommend leaving your phone outside, especially during your probation period. Depending how big your building is you might have to go through a guard shack to get in.

sorryJack

Are all of these or any of them good? I haven't received a call from HR yet telling me what I'll need so I don't know what the requirements of my hub are. Opting for #1 tho if these would work

What about these gloves?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Are all of these or any of them good? I haven't received a call from HR yet telling me what I'll need so I don't know what the requirements of my hub are. Opting for #1 tho if these would work

What about these gloves?
Sorry Jack, gloves are for girls.