New PVD - sorting tips please?

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
They understaff all year on purpose because it is cheaper to pay overtime than hire more drivers and pay benefits. And they get away with it because they have a bunch of Uber drivers come in at peak. Some of us are thinking about more than the next 8 weeks. We are thinking, do we really want an army of PVDs around during negotiation time. Maybe try Amazon flex? I hear you aren’t even allowed to say the word “union” there. You would fit in great.
I understand, and respect this opinion. Given the pro union sentiment AND your post tell me why is the union allowing PVD drivers? There is obviously a lot more to this than I can wrap my head around so I'm leaning on ypu all to educate me. I have great respect for you permanent drivers and I didn't have the slightest notion that the PVD seasonal hires were a threat to the permanent drivers but I still have to wonder why the union isn't protecting you from the threat(s) you speak about. It really seems like a very big issue so???
Your skills are being wasted as a PVD.
Sarcasm or genuine? If the later then how so?
I think it was that they’re hiring them as package car drivers. But they’re driving their personal cars.

They’re doing nothing and accomplishing nothing.

Haven’t stopped ups from doing anything
Can you please explain this post. I don't get what you're saying.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I understand, and respect this opinion. Given the pro union sentiment AND your post tell me why is the union allowing PVD drivers? There is obviously a lot more to this than I can wrap my head around so I'm leaning on ypu all to educate me. I have great respect for you permanent drivers and I didn't have the slightest notion that the PVD seasonal hires were a threat to the permanent drivers but I still have to wonder why the union isn't protecting you from the threat(s) you speak about. It really seems like a very big issue so???

I think the main answer is that there is no language in the contract addressing PVDs specifically. There was an arbitration ruling recently preventing them but it was more on a technicality than anything. And the company is still using PVDs this year because they claim they did not have enough time to create a plan for peak without PVDs.

Why is there no language is another question. The high level union leadership seems to have been asleep at the wheel for a while. Hopefully in the next contract negotiations this will be addressed. It seems to me that the Teamsters don’t want to play hardball with UPS because UPS is their last big golden goose. But just because the union is flawed doesn’t mean we would be better without it.

I think the main answer is that there is no language in the contract addressing PVDs specifically. There was an arbitration ruling recently preventing them but it was more on a technicality than anything. And the company is still using PVDs this year because they claim they did not have enough time to create a plan for peak without PVDs.

Why is there no language is another question. The high level union leadership seems to have been asleep at the wheel for a while. Hopefully in the next contract negotiations this will be addressed. It seems to me that the Teamsters don’t want to play hardball with UPS because UPS is their last big golden goose. But just because the union is flawed doesn’t mean we would be better without it.
We all know that the language of this contract is horrible.
And especially after the company can see that to go back to the bargaining table but the union decide to impose the contract.

You are correct there is no language about PVD drivers but article 26 covers that no driver You should have to use your personal vehicles for employment

BlackFriday

I didn't know that UPS is the last of the teamsters "golden goose". That has to have a lot to do with the relationship.
Do you UPS drivers have a similar opinion of those who drive FedEx etc as you do for the PVD drivers?

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
I didn't know that UPS is the last of the teamsters "golden goose". That has to have a lot to do with the relationship.
Do you UPS drivers have a similar opinion of those who drive FedEx etc as you do for the PVD drivers?
One of the things with FexEx drivers is they don't actually work for FedEx, they work for a company contracted to FedEx.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
These PVD conversations come up every peak season and the same sentiments are usually voiced. While more and more Teamsters members are realizing the shortcomings in the language related to this subject it should be noted that PVD's are not considered regular employees as it is related to Article 26, that's why the company is using them and their vehicles. They aren't being "forced" to use their vehicle, it's part of their position and known going in. Again, when negotiations begin on a new working agreement it will be critical for union members to voice their opinions to their elected union representatives and demand clear language on the subject. Then, when votes are held, getting maximum member participation.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I think it was that they’re hiring them as package car drivers. But they’re driving their personal cars.

They’re doing nothing and accomplishing nothing.

Haven’t stopped ups from doing anything
Boy you look at the 804 website and you would think the union stopped the French at Waterloo!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
oie_overlay.gif

As a 3 year PVD let me answer your original question. but before I do as you have found out we PVD"S are hated here. Even when I pay $40 plus Union dues every week for the 8 week and get nothing from the union but the job. So i'm ok with that. I'm a Greenskeeper(Golf course that hoops on to help and make money in off season).

As far as loading,, I sort everything by street instead of Pal. Look on map and try to join streets in same area together and take what ever fits in loads. I do not follow given route in order. I tackle harder or apartment or unlit areas first and leave the good areas for after dark. ie well marked address areas, some areas have addresses on mailboxes. Those are easy areas to do. but most times you will find our routes will be made up of the crappy, time eating areas cause they give it to us so the regular drivers can get more done, go faster, or do more pickups since we don't pick up.

onewithedd

I know our PVD’s are issued a uniform, which in my opinion makes them a “UPS EMPLOYEE” and should be paid accordingly.

We all know this job can’t be done at peak without help. I know I don’t want to work 14 hours a day!

Now if said PVD employee gets in a serious car accident and kill’s himself or someone else using their own vehicle, UPS should be held 100% responsible for that accident including their car.

UPS is a crooked company. From falsifying delivery and time card records, manipulation of numbers and not following the contract they agreed to.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

No. A lot of us think they would be better off with a union. But they are not coming to our job and taking packages with UPS shipping labels out of our trucks.

BlackFriday

Thanks for the tips.
Today was a joke. A new driver came and unloaded. He's bucking for a permanent route but has been a fill in for 18 months. The loader made his load a nightmare. I was missing 6 packages and met up with him to get the ones he had yet I was still missing 3 packages. Also my route was really poorly set up and had me backtracking to the tune of at least 10 miles. Being new I wasn't able to pick out the screwed up delivery order. It was a pretty inefficient day but I did 60 stops in 5.5 hrs. Very few packages need signatures in the area I do so far. Those really slow me down.
Sorting by street is the way to go IMO. I, so far, reload one time. All the first load packages are right in my neighborhood. Then I reload and take care of the rear which are generally within 5-6 miles max. I will likely reverse this order once it starts to get dark because the second load consists of a lot of single wide, dirt road, loose dogs and rebel flags. When I say dirt roads I mean either 8" deep sand or gravel/sand roads with potholes a foot deep. Literally tar paper shacks too.