New PVD - sorting tips please?

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Pvds get small stuff to deliver?
Load them up with bed in a box, boxes of copier paper, and have them deliver Rod his anvil he ordered along with bags of dog food, etc!
Give THEM the difficult stuff to deliver!
I have been getting two bags of smalls lately. Doesn't amount to all that much. I've also been getting 100 lb deliveries at least twice a week and plenty of 50-60lb packages. In regard to the 100 lb packages I've had former drivers say, "don't deliver them-give them back to driver " Huh? Then I'll have to handle the heavy stuff way more than if I drag it to the damn door.
We also get these giant boxes from Azon that contain one tiny object. Considering the limited room I have these make my ace ache.
And, that cures the problem of pvds!
Besides, they are supposed to help by taking stops from the drivers.
The driver gets to pick what stops they take, right?
When a driver wants me to take stops, after finishing my route, I mention that im happy to take the PIA stops. The PVD's should be helping the drivers any way they can IMO. Usually I just give me some section of their route and say, "I get plenty of OT, I just want to get home and see my kids" or something to that affect. I usually get asked to help after 4:30-5:00 and take about 25 stops average. This may only save the driver an hour. Still, he has to finish his route which is average 25-40 remaining stops AND drive 45 minutes back to the center. He's still not getting home before dinner most likely.

BrownStains

Pvds are not replacing regular drivers. 1 business stop on my route wouldn’t fit in a Subaru. That’s only 1 stop. Nvrmnd 100s + the pickups.

BrownStains

I thought about bringing this up but I know the reaction it would get. Delivering out of a step van would be awesome. I drove one for a long time and, although MUCH MORE difficult to maneuver, they sure a a lot more better for getting in and out of.

The career UPS driver has sold his sole for the coin. Never home, can't watch the kids games, work/sleep/work. That's not the life I'd want to live.
That's also why so many, that retire from UPS, are lost after doing so. Their lives were so strongly tied to the job that it leaves a devil of a void once it's no longer there.
One of my very good friends did all he could to try to spend time with his son. It wasn't enough. He walked into his garage one morning and found his son had overdosed and died. So damn tragic.
We sold our soul for coin ? Some of us have wives and kids that we have to support. Ups is a job that provides great medical benefits and pay . It’s not that we sold our soul. When you’re an adult and have a family to support then you do what you have to do to pay the bills, that’s what being a man is all about. It’s a sacrifice you make to provide a better life to your family and when it’s over my soul will remain intact.

BlackFriday

We sold our soul for coin ? Some of us have wives and kids that we have to support. Ups is a job that provides great medical benefits and pay . It’s not that we sold our soul. When you’re an adult and have a family to support then you do what you have to do to pay the bills, that’s what being a man is all about. It’s a sacrifice you make to provide a better life to your family and when it’s over my soul will remain intact.
I agree 100% that a man/husband /father should feel responsible to provide. I'll part company where you say this has to be done by having a job that keeps you from spending time raising the family and being emotional support for a wife. Plenty of people do so without working until 9:00PM.

UPSER1987

I agree 100% that a man/husband /father should feel responsible to provide. I'll part company where you say this has to be done by having a job that keeps you from spending time raising the family and being emotional support for a wife. Plenty of people do so without working until 9:00PM.
But I want my 8 hour guarantee….the contract says….waaah! Lol

BrownStains

It is what it is . Sure I’d like to be home with the family more but I don’t decide how much is on my route. We’re not the only ones though. Fedex amazon people work long hours too. People that own businesses work 12 hour days and devote their lives . If you’re in the military you have to be away from your family for long periods. This is what we choose, somebody has to do it . Thankfully we have a union that helps get us the great overtime and vacation pay , etc. Believe me , there is a lot of other people out there that have it worse.

UPSER1987

It is what it is . Sure I’d like to be home with the family more but I don’t decide how much is on my route. We’re not the only ones though. Fedex amazon people work long hours too. People that own businesses work 12 hour days and devote their lives . If you’re in the military you have to be away from your family for long periods. This is what we choose, somebody has to do it . Thankfully we have a union that helps get us the great overtime and vacation pay , etc. Believe me , there is a lot of other people out there that have it worse.
Exactly. That’s why the whining is so hilarious. UPS affords us all a lifestyle better than most. No job is perfect, especially one that doesn’t require a real education. We came to UPS, not the other way around.

Punch in, do your job, go home and shut up. If you don’t like it, find another job. Everyone (including management) is replaceable. No one is saving lives at UPS.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
7FA4A9A6-B07C-4459-B3D6-80F84E584A52.gif

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
Exactly. That’s why the whining is so hilarious. UPS affords us all a lifestyle better than most. No job is perfect, especially one that doesn’t require a real education. We came to UPS, not the other way around.

Punch in, do your job, go home and shut up. If you don’t like it, find another job. Everyone (including management) is replaceable. No one is saving lives at UPS.
UPS Express Critical?

BlackFriday

I can go with this ^^^

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The residentials are our loss leaders. Sure you could say you delivered thousands worth of bulk, even tens of thousands of dollars worth in pickups. But our Union won't survive unless we have union employees also delivering $4 surepost to kyle's apartment on the end of floor 3 without an elevator.
Challenger is a POS. Just do what you have to do to survive and leave. It's not beneficial to your peers and the wider public to assist in breaking a union.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Also the vehicle shortage feels like corporate ineptitude. We have had dozens of vehicles scrapped before their 20th anniversary that could have been serviced far longer had they managed a better network for parts and service. Going all automatic really was not necessary. It even aligns with climate goals to be maintaining vehicles for longer.

UPSER1987

Also the vehicle shortage feels like corporate ineptitude. We have had dozens of vehicles scrapped before their 20th anniversary that could have been serviced far longer had they managed a better network for parts and service. Going all automatic really was not necessary. It even aligns with climate goals to be maintaining vehicles for longer.
Going automatic was another necessity to dumb down the job.

Residential stops lose money. How long can any business stay profitable while a major segment of its providers do a function that loses money everyday? Got to mitigate loses somehow as labor costs continue to rise.

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
Possibly, but maybe there is a better way to interact with others than spitting venom with the same 30 like minded people.
Something to think about, yeah?
Lol. Literally ANYONE can deliver the package.
No, that's a false statement.

Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote but I took it to mean we don't deliver anything of importance that effect people's lives e.g. medicine, vaccines, etc.

Last edited:

UPSER1987

Something to think about, yeah?

No, that's a false statement.

Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote but I took it to mean we don't deliver anything of importance that effect people's lives e.g. medicine, vaccines, etc.
I didn’t say it was unimportant. It’s all relative.

Anyone CAN hand a package from one person to another. It’s important, but not life saving per se.

I guess I see from a perspective that sometimes UPSers (myself included) act as if only they can deliver packages and somehow the ground they walk on is to be worshipped. PVDs prove that theory wrong everyday. Very little to no training to take a package from point A to B.

BlackFriday

The residentials are our loss leaders. Sure you could say you delivered thousands worth of bulk, even tens of thousands of dollars worth in pickups. But our Union won't survive unless we have union employees also delivering $4 surepost to kyle's apartment on the end of floor 3 without an elevator.
Challenger is a POS. Just do what you have to do to survive and leave. It's not beneficial to your peers and the wider public to assist in breaking a union.
Why do you think I'm a POS?
Also, if I were one of your pro-Joe union buddies here, (won't bother mentioning the name) I would report you for that personal attack. I don't report people for calling names but the aforementioned Karen does and it's embarrassing for him.