New PVD - sorting tips please?

UPSER1987

Oh, and I'm supposed to kiss the feet of a person that just joined in August after a 30+ year UPS career? Where has he been to support the members here? His avatar is "join or die"? He gets no static. He's all good so long as he is spewing hate toward any PVD.
The dude doesn't have a dog in the fight yet I'm the one people call weird?
When you retire are you going to spend your precious newly found time posting on the forum of UPS members? That's whacked out IMO. THAT'S weird AF but go ahead and defend him. After all he's a UPS driver.
Oh, wait.... No he ain't.?.

Yeah, the number of old retire heads posting here is strange. What’s the purpose of a long career only to come back and :censored2: on it on an Internet forum? It basically invalidates your career. Or maybe they think they were the one gear holding UPS together? …lol. Obviously something is missing in some folks life.
Shrugs shoulders.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
Youll never be as fast. We deliver packages from a vehicle specifically designed to deliver packages from. Youd have to buy or build your own deliver van.
I thought about bringing this up but I know the reaction it would get. Delivering out of a step van would be awesome. I drove one for a long time and, although MUCH MORE difficult to maneuver, they sure a a lot more better for getting in and out of.
Oh, and I'm supposed to kiss the feet of a person that just joined in August after a 30+ year UPS career? Where has he been to support the members here? His avatar is "join or die"? He gets no static. He's all good so long as he is spewing hate toward any PVD.
When you retire are you going to spend your precious newly found time posting on the forum of UPS members? That's whacked out IMO. THAT'S weird AF but go ahead and defend him. After all he's a UPS driver.

Yeah, the number of old retire heads posting here is strange. What’s the purpose of a long career only to come back and :censored2: on it on an Internet forum? It basically invalidates your career. Or maybe they think they were the one gear holding UPS together? …lol. Obviously something is missing in some folks life.
Shrugs shoulders.
The career UPS driver has sold his sole for the coin. Never home, can't watch the kids games, work/sleep/work. That's not the life I'd want to live.
That's also why so many, that retire from UPS, are lost after doing so. Their lives were so strongly tied to the job that it leaves a devil of a void once it's no longer there.
One of my very good friends did all he could to try to spend time with his son. It wasn't enough. He walked into his garage one morning and found his son had overdosed and died. So damn tragic.

Cowboy Mac

The negative comments you cherry pick were my reaction to a post from a specific member here.
How about posting the many posts from me that talk about how I feel you drivers are motivated, hard working, people? Or the many where I state the respect I have for you drivers?
Again, the hate towards me is due to the fact that I am a PVD plain and simple. The vast majority of the posts I receive are highly negative BECAUSE of this. Ya'll are very defensive.
As for me saying I could easily do your job I stand corrected. It's a bit more difficult than my first week led me to believe BUT I feel like I can definitely do your job. Anyone that takes on ANY challenge better damn well believe "can do" and believe it deeply. I was brought up to think "can't" is not a word. I've learned that it is sometimes a word that fits. Examples: I can't skydive, I can't do giant roller coasters, I can't deal with our government that believes there are 35 genders and a thousand other screwed up liberal notions like "roads are racist. I can't support racists. I can't support open borders and perhaps my all time can't is I can't support abortion.
There are a lot of things I can't do.
You’re right, you keep saying you respect us. My point is, and this is why I picked those quotes, you didn’t really believe what you were saying. Because you were so quick to say the opposite in your responses.

I don’t hate you for being a PVD. I would rather see you getting paid more money to drive a company vehicle. The PVD job should not even exist as a classification.

I don’t even hate you. As far as I can tell, we are similar minded when it comes to politics. I bet if I met you in a different setting than this forum we might even be friends.

And you don’t have to kiss the feet of retirees on here, as much as they might like that. But how about a little respect for some guys who went through hell for a long time to get where they’re at. It doesn’t matter what date they joined an online forum, that doesn’t cancel out a whole career and decades of experience doing the job.

And retirees do have a dog in the fight. It’s called their pension. They have an interest in making sure the company continues to succeed so they can continue to get a pension and so their UPS stock continues to grow.

You’re one to talk about wasting time on a UPS forum. It’s possible to post on here, work full time, and still have a life. A lot of us do it.

quad decade guy

I thought about bringing this up but I know the reaction it would get. Delivering out of a step van would be awesome. I drove one for a long time and, although MUCH MORE difficult to maneuver, they sure a a lot more better for getting in and out of.

The career UPS driver has sold his sole for the coin. Never home, can't watch the kids games, work/sleep/work. That's not the life I'd want to live.
That's also why so many, that retire from UPS, are lost after doing so. Their lives were so strongly tied to the job that it leaves a devil of a void once it's no longer there.
One of my very good friends did all he could to try to spend time with his son. It wasn't enough. He walked into his garage one morning and found his son had overdosed and died. So damn tragic.
Super Chief,

What the hell do you know?

Really?

You don't know me.

Your life....wouldn't be you for nuthin.

Say, why are you even at UPS? Obviously you've failed in all you other ventures...and this is your last resort....selling your soul for UPS coin.

No?

Nothing else makes sense.

upsgrunt

Shrugs shoulders.

After you do this job, or any job, for so long it kinda becomes a part of who you are, and I'm not sure you can stop it. When you get past that point, and also your apparent talent for knowing it all, you might "get it". I'm not condoning anything, just that it's hard to just walk away no matter how much you liked or disliked what you were doing. Add in the fact that unless you've been at UPS, it's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't been there. Maybe this forum is "therapy"; I don't know.

BlackFriday

After you do this job, or any job, for so long it kinda becomes a part of who you are, and I'm not sure you can stop it. When you get past that point, and also your apparent talent for knowing it all, you might "get it". I'm not condoning anything, just that it's hard to just walk away no matter how much you liked or disliked what you were doing. Add in the fact that unless you've been at UPS, it's hard to explain it to someone who hasn't been there. Maybe this forum is "therapy"; I don't know.
Well said.

UPSER1987

Possibly, but maybe there is a better way to interact with others than spitting venom with the same 30 like minded people.

JJspvd

This is for the original poster, a PVD asking for help in sorting. I'm a third year Seasonal PVD. I sort by street addresses, using the UPS app on my phone to look at the map section, and click on one in the area I want to work first. After a week or two on a new route, I have most of the street names memorized. So I sort the packages in the order I'm going to deliver them, by street name and house number. No doubling back, just a big circle and then back to the pod to reload. I usually do this for all the packages in my pod before I make my first trip and it's still daylight, so everything is in order for the next trips. Last season, we usually got called when the driver was on the way to my pod, and typically started at 11:30 or noon. And it starts getting dark about 4:30 this time of year. Last year, I usually finished at 9 or 10 p.m., so half my deliveries were at night.

I work out of a (big) 4-door sedan, so I usually have to do 3 or 4 trips to empty my pod. PVDs will never be as fast as UPS regular drivers, because of all the dead time PVDs have in going back to the pod and loading up again. With the packages for each trip sorted by the map view, I load the back seat from the driver's side, pushing everything to the passenger side, so when I get to the next delivery stop, the package is the one closet to the passenger side door. Big packages go in the trunk, and I make a note of it in the steno pad I use for UPS notes. Once the back seat is full, I fill the trunk with the rest of the packages for that trip, still in map order, so I can move them to the rear seat and keep them in map order and finish that area before going back to my pod and reload.

Some of the trainers or road managers I've had insist I have to deliver in the sequence of the list view on the app, but that always requires doubling back to areas I've already delivered to. They tell me the magical UPS computers put the list in order for the quickest delivery, but that's just not true. The list and HIN numbers are not a bad starting point, but using the map view is better and quicker once you know the area.

As someone earlier said, I also do any apartments and condos first while it's still daylight and far easier to find the addresses. Single family homes are easier to find at night, as most, but not enough, have their street address on their mailbox, or above their garage. I still have to use my handheld powerful spotlight to reach out and see the street address a lot of times. I also use that spotlight on and pointed at the ground while making the delivery to their front door, so I don't trip over anything, especially Christmas light extensions all over the place. Also, the moving spotlight lets the folks inside see I'm coming and I don't get shot (burglars and thieves work in the dark). And I think the spotlight would spook/slow a dog that wants to come at me.

I hope the above helps other new SPVDs, if UPS keeps using PVDs.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hi! I’m new, too. Today I decided to write notes on my paper copy of my manifest. Things like “tiny, “big boi,” “target,” and “Amazon bag” along with where it’s located in my vehicle T for trunk, B pass for back passanger side, etc. It helped a ton for meS
Sorry to bust your bubble but you ain’t got time for all that

BlackFriday

This is for the original poster, a PVD asking for help in sorting. I'm a third year Seasonal PVD. I sort by street addresses, using the UPS app on my phone to look at the map section, and click on one in the area I want to work first. After a week or two on a new route, I have most of the street names memorized. So I sort the packages in the order I'm going to deliver them, by street name and house number. No doubling back, just a big circle and then back to the pod to reload. I usually do this for all the packages in my pod before I make my first trip and it's still daylight, so everything is in order for the next trips. Last season, we usually got called when the driver was on the way to my pod, and typically started at 11:30 or noon. And it starts getting dark about 4:30 this time of year. Last year, I usually finished at 9 or 10 p.m., so half my deliveries were at night.

I work out of a (big) 4-door sedan, so I usually have to do 3 or 4 trips to empty my pod. PVDs will never be as fast as UPS regular drivers, because of all the dead time PVDs have in going back to the pod and loading up again. With the packages for each trip sorted by the map view, I load the back seat from the driver's side, pushing everything to the passenger side, so when I get to the next delivery stop, the package is the one closet to the passenger side door. Big packages go in the trunk, and I make a note of it in the steno pad I use for UPS notes. Once the back seat is full, I fill the trunk with the rest of the packages for that trip, still in map order, so I can move them to the rear seat and keep them in map order and finish that area before going back to my pod and reload.

Some of the trainers or road managers I've had insist I have to deliver in the sequence of the list view on the app, but that always requires doubling back to areas I've already delivered to. They tell me the magical UPS computers put the list in order for the quickest delivery, but that's just not true. The list and HIN numbers are not a bad starting point, but using the map view is better and quicker once you know the area.

As someone earlier said, I also do any apartments and condos first while it's still daylight and far easier to find the addresses. Single family homes are easier to find at night, as most, but not enough, have their street address on their mailbox, or above their garage. I still have to use my handheld powerful spotlight to reach out and see the street address a lot of times. I also use that spotlight on and pointed at the ground while making the delivery to their front door, so I don't trip over anything, especially Christmas light extensions all over the place. Also, the moving spotlight lets the folks inside see I'm coming and I don't get shot (burglars and thieves work in the dark). And I think the spotlight would spook/slow a dog that wants to come at me.

I hope the above helps other new SPVDs, if UPS keeps using PVDs.
Thanks for the tips. I've settled on a completely different style of sorting and it's currently working great. I do very little digging for packages anymore and im doing close to 25 stops an hour once loaded.
I use a Subaru outback with all the seats removed. I use it to carry the equipment I use to do bee removals and it's my beater vehicle. I've only had one time where I had to reload three times. That was because of some giant boxes but it didn't slow me down doing three reloads.
What I do now is load different sections of my car with sections of the areas in the route. I've learned the best direction and load packages high to low address or low to high depending on the direction I'm heading.
Most times my car is so incredibly jam packed that not doing an efficient sort job would be a really huge time waster. BTW, I also often put the really giants packages on my roof rack and strap them down. Has to be good weather of course. I do this when I know I'll get open space soon and only when the package is going to a very local route that I have. Not something they teach I'm sure. Then again they never really taught me a damn thing from the start.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
He's just trying help
Unlike most of you.
Dude, you’re doing a gig job…it’s not like you are an actual driver trying to make seniority and get on full time…stop trying to over think things and just do one stop at a time…before you know it christmas will be here and you will be done…stop trying to over complicate things…you’re delivering out of a personal vehicle, you can only get so efficient with that kind of setup.

BlackFriday

Dude, you’re doing a gig job…it’s not like you are an actual driver trying to make seniority and get on full time…stop trying to over think things and just do one stop at a time…before you know it christmas will be here and you will be done…stop trying to over complicate things…you’re delivering out of a personal vehicle, you can only get so efficient with that kind of setup.
I agree 100%. Maybe this was meant for another poster in this thread because I already stated that I've settled on a sorting method.
Also, sorting for efficient delivery is different when using a "regular" vehicle as I'm sure you can appreciate.
Besides, anyone should agree that being efficient only makes sense whether it's 8 weeks or a career. Nobody enjoys digging, or rearranging, a pile of boxes just to get the one needed no?

clean hairy

Pvds get small stuff to deliver?
Load them up with bed in a box, boxes of copier paper, and have them deliver Rod his anvil he ordered along with bags of dog food, etc!
Give THEM the difficult stuff to deliver!