New trailers

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Scroll down to table 2A, CO, KS, MO and OK look to be the only states where you where you could pull double 53' and be under the length limit.

UPSGUY72

Speaking of trailer apparently UPS sells the old ones and doesn't scrap them like they do package cars I saw a couple of ones looked like they where painted pink then paint over with white paint by the new owner. There was 4 of them like this at this place.
2015-04-30 15.53.49.jpg
2015-04-30 15.54.19.jpg

By The Book

Why wouldn't you maximize what one employee can do? That's just good business sense. It gives the company the ability to carry that many more packages, which means increasing revenue for no extra cost. It's free money if you can do it. And if you don't, oh well, you needed to load something in there anyways.

Work you harder? So the extra 10 mins it's going to take to process that trailer is making you work harder? No. It's making you work a little longer. But you also are not doing it for free. You bet they do it to load more volume. It's more efficient. 1 58 footer vs 2 or possibly 3 pups. You're tying up one asset, vs 2 or 3.

We are in the business of getting packages from A to B. Not in the business of providing more union jobs. That's part of the reason they do this kind of stuff. To minimize the amount of personnel needed while maximizing profits. It's called running a business.
After reading this thread, I see how it could make unloaders work harder. The packages would still have to be loaded in the nose of the 58 foot trailers. If they have to walk 5 to 8 feet in a 53 footer now, they will be walking another 5 feet on top of that to get to the rollers. I also get the company wanting to be more profitable, with less feeder work in the yards.

wayfair

swollen member
We do have a couple local companies that pull double 53's.

Talked with one driver a few years back, he said it takes about 3 miles to get up to the speed limit. haha

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
After reading this thread, I see how it could make unloaders work harder. The packages would still have to be loaded in the nose of the 58 foot trailers. If they have to walk 5 to 8 feet in a 53 footer now, they will be walking another 5 feet on top of that to get to the rollers. I also get the company wanting to be more profitable, with less feeder work in the yards.
People already just throw boxes to the back and build a "throw wall" in front of them.... build it halfway up and keep throwing boxes over the top. The company is going to need to upgrade their facilities too if they want longer trailers to work out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
People already just throw boxes to the back and build a "throw wall" in front of them.... build it halfway up and keep throwing boxes over the top. The company is going to need to upgrade their facilities too if they want longer trailers to work out.
General disclaimer - contents may settle during shipment.

cat contents may settle.jpg
[

wayfair

swollen member
I was leaving open the possibility that you would prove me wrong :wink:

The 48' plus 53' look like double 53's... haha

you gotta see a right turn with a tractor with double 53's... especially in 5 o'clock traffic!

but they do allow double 53's here in Ok

dragracer66

Speaking of trailer apparently UPS sells the old ones and doesn't scrap them like they do package cars I saw a couple of ones looked like they where painted pink then paint over with white paint by the new owner. There was 4 of them like this at this place.View attachment 38698 View attachment 38699
Prior to 1991 you could by trailers for storage only. I see a few survivors around here also. Now they get crushed.....

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Found this today
Here is a Canadian UPS triple Z
It looks like it uses a different dolly. Like freight uses.

Attachments

• 1434526180963.jpg
    1434526180963.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 227
Well this is fantastic news. Our hub with its 45-door primary has exactly 8 Extendos long enough to adequately handle 53' trailers (all but one of which have been installed in the past year and with no additional replacements slated for the next 12 months at least). It just gives me the warm and fuzzies all over to think that 55' trailers might be lurking in the future when we're running 4 sorts a day on equipment designed for 45' trailers.

UPS4Life

Well this is fantastic news. Our hub with its 45-door primary has exactly 8 Extendos long enough to adequately handle 53' trailers (all but one of which have been installed in the past year and with no additional replacements slated for the next 12 months at least). It just gives me the warm and fuzzies all over to think that 55' trailers might be lurking in the future when we're running 4 sorts a day on equipment designed for 45' trailers.
I think we will see 33' pups before 55' long boxes. There is writing in the transportation bill to allow 33' pups it just needs approved.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Most of our extendos have a pair of rollers attached to them; these rollers will only reach the back of a 45' trailer (and require a lot of manual assistance since they're old, well used & worn out). If you have a 48', you hoof the remaining portion which isn't such a big deal. If you have a 53', you need to grab a set of rollers -- due to "safety" concerns, the rollers are stored under the belts, so you have to huff a pair of heavy rollers up the stairs & into the trailer. a 58' would require a third pair of rollers. Anybody who's tried attaching junk rollers knows how fun this is!

UPS will not install longer extendos because of a) the cost of the extendo and b) the cost of extending the building backward, since more room is needed to store the additional panels in the extendo.