new upser

kevupser

Hey all,

Just started working for UPS about 3 weeks ago as a loader on the day shift. Anything I need to know about UPS, the union, etc etc?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hey all,

Just started working for UPS about 3 weeks ago as a loader on the day shift. Anything I need to know about UPS, the union, etc etc?
Welcome to the Brown Cafe Kev.

Three things:
UPS is going to try and pay you the least amount of money as possible.
The Union is going to try and take as much money from you as possible.
The government will try and take the rest.

knightablaze

Don't take any layoffs or "code 5s" until you're for sure in the union and have got your seniority.

Grab a copy of your contract. If you have any intention of sticking around, that thing can practically be a bible.

Just try not to be too discourage about how badly they screw part-timers.

blackcircle

dont get stuck in this company. find a different job. hell with the new contract benefits dont even start for a year.

I can't even understand why someone would start working at UPS now without getting benefits for a year but I do find myself enjoying spilling the new guy koolaid when I tell one of em they won't be driving for 6-7 years :happy2: Well someone has to tell them that the person that said 1.5 years was lying :peaceful:

quest01

I can't even understand why someone would start working at UPS now without getting benefits for a year but I do find myself enjoying spilling the new guy koolaid when I tell one of em they won't be driving for 6-7 years :happy2: Well someone has to tell them that the person that said 1.5 years was lying :peaceful:

I had an interview about a week ago for a package handler position at a UPS center near where I live and the HR lady told me it takes 11-14 years to be a package delivery driver.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
P/T still living at home or going to school ... benefits are useless.

Becoming a package car driver really depends on the center, time of hire, and driver turnover. Although, some will probably retire by dying behind the wheel when they are too darn old...LOL...and UPS will just throw another warm body in there to keep their route going...11-14 years seems like a stretch.

DFWM

I agree with smokey0810. At the center I work in there are folks that have been there for less than three years that already have temp driving positions. I chose not to drive full time, but if I had put my name on the bid list last year I would already be a full time service provider. I started working there in May 2007, just a little more than 2 years ago.
As smokey0810 mentioned, it also depends on who is retiring, quitting, being fired or disqualified for driving. I agree that 11-14 years seems far fetched. I would think 3-5 years could be expected.

Mcgay

well come to Hades, If you can handle the work, ignore verble abuse,and have something else going, it's not a bad gig. Believe nothing man. say's, once in the union Know your contract, it will make a differance in your sanity. Don't come to UPS if your lazy, there is no easy money here. Luck to you.