New Video! Attention all Lunch Skippers! 2024 Edition!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How are folk getting away with not taking lunch? We end up on a report for doing that. Are lunch skippers falsifying records or is management falsifying?

Nah
I don’t believe that is the case anywhere.…for legal reasons. You are required by federal law to take a break after so many hours. The company was sued about 10 years ago for this in California. You also have been instructed to take a lunch. You have to input the time into your diad.
Lunch wasn't taken out in my center either.

What federal law?

Wally

Appreciate all the kind words everybody! But nobody has noticed my Wally Easter Egg
TKEb8owM2MxU.png

Brown Down

How are folk getting away with not taking lunch? We end up on a report for doing that. Are lunch skippers falsifying records or is management falsifying?
Management. At least in my center. They talk about it all the time in pcms yet none ever gets talked to.

Wally

California for example, you cannot work through lunch and not be paid. Is management paying you?

If a work shift is longer than 10 hours, a second 30-minute rest break must be provided. If a total of 12 hours or fewer are worked in a day, this second meal break may be waived, but only if the first meal period was not waived.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I don’t believe that is the case anywhere.…for legal reasons. You are required by federal law to take a break after so many hours. The company was sued about 10 years ago for this in California. You also have been instructed to take a lunch. You have to input the time into your diad.
It was in 2007 that we here in CA won that lawsuit. It was actually over both lunches and paid breaks not being given. I was cut a check for $15k, saw some guys get up to $20k. The total settlement was $87 million.

One of the results of that whole thing was that an hour of lunch time was taken out of your day's timecard regardless of whether or not you input a lunch in your diad. So for those in this thread who are saying, "If I don't take a lunch I don't lose any money," it doesn't work that way everywhere.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It was in 2007 that we here in CA won that lawsuit. It was actually over both lunches and paid breaks not being given. I was cut a check for $15k, saw some guys get up to $20k. The total settlement was $87 million.

One of the results of that whole thing was that an hour of lunch time was taken out of your day's timecard regardless of whether or not you input a lunch in your diad. So for those in this thread who are saying, "If I don't take a lunch I don't lose any money," it doesn't work that way everywhere.
https://www.californiawagelaw.com/w...=in the news.-,Cornn v.,pay up to $87 million.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

California for example, you cannot work through lunch and not be paid. Is management paying you?

If a work shift is longer than 10 hours, a second 30-minute rest break must be provided. If a total of 12 hours or fewer are worked in a day, this second meal break may be waived, but only if the first meal period was not waived.

Yeah. New England here. If we don’t put lunch in the DIAD we can work all day and get paid straight through. Sometimes this will earn you a warning letter, sometimes not.

Hot Carl

It’s state law here. A few years ago we had issues with guys taking lunch while they drove back to the building. Once the warning letters started flying, most of them knocked it off. Eventually our BA came down and point blank told the rest of them, “If you have an accident doing that, I promise you the first thing they’ll do is fire you for dishonesty/falsifying records.”

That was the end of that problem.

DOK

They just put a lunch in the diad but keep on trucking never taking it, it’s only a half hour here not sure why guys just can’t take it, it seems to fly by. In the video he says lunch skippers are loaded up with work, not sure how it is at other locations but drivers getting “loaded up” is a thing of the past here.

Thebrownblob

They just put a lunch in the diad but keep on trucking never taking it, it’s only a half hour here not sure why guys just can’t take it, it seems to fly by. In the video he says lunch skippers are loaded up with work, not sure how it is at other locations but drivers getting “loaded up” is a thing of the past here.
Still sending guys out here with 200+ stops

Wally

Good way to get fired. Something simple like one person sending in a complaint to the state attorney's General office UPS would trigger an investigation and UPS would have to answer. All some attorney would have to do is subpoena those records. Drivers would be exposed for falsifying and goodby. You don't even have to involve the union, just file a complaint that UPS is not paying for all hours worked.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Good way to get fired. Something simple like one person sending in a complaint to the state attorney's General office UPS would trigger an investigation and UPS would have to answer. All some attorney would have to do is subpoena those records. Drivers would be exposed for falsifying and goodby. You don't even have to involve the union, just file a complaint that UPS is not paying for all hours worked.

UPS knows everything you are doing every day.

If you are coding out lunch and still delivering, it shows up on a report.

Whether they chose to act on it.... depends on how much pressure they are under to develop an excuse.