News we missed during the week

804brown

Whatever happened with that little crazy guy in north korea?? Weren't we on the verge of nuclear war?? Or maybe that was during a slow news week?? Anyway cons are happy now that the media isnt talking about gay marriage and dead children in Newtown and states outlawing abortion rights and how divided the repub party is.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Article I read said 3 I thought. I don't doubt for a second there's some other form of life out there somewhere. Too many possibilities for at least one other place not to have life.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
t1aKGzu.jpg

wkmac

Phoenix Police Sgt. Natalie Simonick, 46, was on patrol around 11 p.m., when she saw a young man walking alone in a dark and desolate area who she thought might be violating curfew.
"And I pulled over and I asked him what he was doing," Simonick told ABCNews.com. "He said, 'Walking home, I missed the bus.'"
After the young man, Christian Felix, showed Simonick his ID proving he was 18 years old, the sergeant offered Felix a courtesy ride home. Then Simonick learned Felix had never ridden a bike before.
"He never had a father in his life, so he had no one to teach him," Simonick said.
By the end of the ride home Simonick was shocked. It turned out Felix would walk the 9 mile distance to his home from his job at McDonald's if he missed his bus.
Simonick was impressed by the young man. "He doesn't drink and doesn't smoke," she said. "He had never had any contact with police as far as negative contact."
After that night, Simonick spoke to her husband, who said she could give Felix their extra bike. The other members of her squad agreed to help teach Felix how to ride a bike.

Arizona Police Officer Gives Bike to Teen Who Walks 9 Miles To Work

That's pretty awesome!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
[h=1]Dear Class of ’13: You’ve been scammed[/h] [h=2]Commentary: How the College-Industrial Complex drove tuition so high[/h]
Class of 2013,
No one else is going to tell you this, so I might as well.
You sit here today, $30,000 or $40,000 in debt, as the latest victims of what may well be the biggest conspiracy in U.S. history. It is a conspiracy so big and powerful that Dan Brown won’t even touch it. It’s a conspiracy so insidious that you will rarely hear its name.
The College-Industrial Complex.
Consider this: You have just paid about three times as much for your degree as did someone graduating 30 years ago. That’s in constant dollars — in other words, after accounting for inflation. There is no evidence that you have received a degree three times as good. Some would wonder if you have received a degree even one times as good.

According to the College Board, in 1983 a typical private American university managed to provide a bachelor’s-degree-level education to young people just like you for $11,000 a year in tuition and fees. That’s in 2012 dollars.
Instead, those of you at private colleges paid this year an average of $29,000.
And back then a public college charged in-state students just $2,200 a year in tuition and fees — in today’s dollars. You could get a full four-year degree for $8,800. Today that will get you one year’s tuition, or $8,700.
Notice, please, we are not even counting the cost of all the “extras,” like room and board. This is just the cost of the teaching.
It is, as a result, no surprise that total student loans are now approaching $1 trillion. They have easily overtaken credit-card debts and car loans. According to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, total student loans have basically tripled since 2004. Fed researcher Lee Donghoon says that in the last eight years the number of borrowers has gone up by about 70%, and the average amount owed has also gone up about 70%.

U.S. colleges are a rip-off. Two decades ago I spent six years at Cambridge and Oxford universities, and it didn’t cost me a nickel. Admittedly, one reason was social policy: The taxpayers paid the bill (and a very good return they earned too, given the British taxes I paid once I graduated and started work). But the second reason was that these universities did not charge an arm, leg and other appendage for the act of teaching.
My undergraduate course at Cambridge largely consisted of one hour a week with a tutor, a weekly essay question and research list, and a library card. This teaching model hadn’t changed much, really, since the days of Aristotle. Student, teacher, discussion.
Dear Class of ’13: You’ve been scammed - Brett Arends's ROI - MarketWatch

Upsmule

"Nobody will probably ever know if anything lives on these planets, and the odds are that humans will travel there only in their faster-than-light dreams, but the news has sent astronomers into heavenly raptures."

Odds..... Odds are mankind will continue to have faith in his own next best guess, do or die. Or do and die actually......

“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:" --Isaiah 1:18

804brown

"Nobody will probably ever know if anything lives on these planets, and the odds are that humans will travel there only in their faster-than-light dreams, but the news has sent astronomers into heavenly raptures."

Odds..... Odds are mankind will continue to have faith in his own next best guess, do or die. Or do and die actually......

That is funny seeing the word "reason" coming out of the bible.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The war on terror is over. King Barack says so !!

If he's trying to draw attention away from the numerous scandals...........it won't work, especially when we see hacking & beheading on the streets in England .

By insinuating the war on terror is over, our country and it's safety is not his concern..........raising money for the 2014 elections is his only concern.

804brown

If he's trying to draw attention away from the numerous scandals...........it won't work, especially when we see hacking & beheading on the streets in England .

By insinuating the war on terror is over, our country and it's safety is not his concern..........raising money for the 2014 elections is his only concern.

Please, he never said he would end the drones. The empire's campaign to terrify the american people continues. Just that this particular minder of the empire is reigning it in abit for PR reasons and saving some money.

Upsmule

That is funny seeing the word "reason" coming out of the bible.

How bout this from one of the great founding pillars of modern science...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

--Galileo Galilei

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
How bout this from one of the great founding pillars of modern science...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

--Galileo Galilei

Then why do you insist?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Mission Accomplished. Part II.