No Call from dispatch or driver.

Overpaid Union Thug

First day of work as a season driver helper went by smoothly, met my driver, lets call him Dave and we finished our residential route a little after 4 hours. I was a tad bit nervous that I was being slow or tedious and told Dave to not worry about ""breaking my heart" if I needed to pick up the pace or I was doing something wrong. We went through our residential route with almost no hitches albeit I learned the hard way not to eat a heavy snack during our ten minute break.

Once I asked my driver if I was to meet him the same place at the same time tomorrow, his response was "dispatch will call you in the morning". So I woke up at 6 30 am expecting the call from dispatch around 8:40 AM-ish like my first day. 3 PM and after doing some digging on the internet, apparently most people get a number to call dispatch to, the driver usually always takes your phone number down as well, and one ups driver helper my mom asked today said if you don't get a call you are to show up at the same place same time. Should the driver have given me his phone number? Or that of dispatch. I am pretty confused right now and would like to know if I did something wrong or kinda just freaking my self out.

Also a lot of posts on here talk about you can call into dispatch starting at 8 AM if you are really motivated to work and help a driver. Please any insight on my situation would be greatly appreciated.
There is no rhyme or reason on how helpers are utilized in my center unless the driver is involved. And some drivers dont really care about who they get. Especially if they dont really need a helper but are being forced to use one.

Last edited:

Mst3k

You smelled terrible, customers complained, and you kept closing the door saying "I don't want to get rained on"

DOK

There is no rhyme or reason on how helpers are utilized in my center unless the driver is involved. And some drivers dont really care about who they get. Especially if they dont really need a helper but are being forced to use one.

Why do you think they force drivers to take helpers who don't need them? From a monetary stand point you'd think they wouldn't be forcing guys to take them.

Overpaid Union Thug

Why do you think they force drivers to take helpers who don't need them? From a monetary stand point you'd think they wouldn't be forcing guys to take them.
They are allotted a specific amount each year and how they are used is tracked. Its treated like a budget. Use them or lose them.