No call no show

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What article in the contract would all of that be under?

This probably what he is referring to.

"An employee who fails to report to work and is a “No Call-No Show” for three (3) consecutive working days, who has been given a warning notice for “No Call-No Show” within the nine (9) month period immediately preceding the three (3) consecutive working day “No Call-No Show”, shall be subject to immediate discharge and loss of seniority. In instances of proven emergencies or extraordinary circumstances this language shall not apply."

ups18southwestpackagesortrideraddenda.pdf

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Benefits of a Union contract.

...or the inability of the employer to weed out the undesirables...

Is it really that hard to show up each and every day and to pick up the damn phone when you are unable to make it in to work that day? Millions of people who work elsewhere know that if they blow off work they will most likely lose their job. What makes UPSers so special?

Est.1998

3 in a row is an automatic discharge. After you get your warning for your first no call no show. As for 3 no calls within a year, I am not sure. How it is. Pretty sure it progresses to Warning>Suspension>Discharge
It also depends on the employees relationship with the FT sup. If you're liked you can get away with almost anything. That's the UPS way!

UnionGuy

It also depends on the employees relationship with the FT sup. If you're liked you can get away with almost anything. That's the UPS way!

That is very true. Luckily at my hub management is very lenient and understanding. So the full time and hub manager work with employees with troublesome attendance.

Macbrother

I overslept once. Called the center manager when I woke up around 10:30, drove to the center, manager drove me to the route, took that driver somewhere else. Never heard anything else about it.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
...or the inability of the employer to weed out the undesirables...

Is it really that hard to show up each and every day and to pick up the damn phone when you are unable to make it in to work that day? Millions of people who work elsewhere know that if they blow off work they will most likely lose their job. What makes UPSers so special?
Depends on the position probably. Easy to replace a preloader/twilight. Harder to replace of driver and up since a lot of training and detail fall into play.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What other job allows their employees to NC/NS up to 3 times without recourse?

That's standard HR rules, and how most companies big enough to have an HR department define job abandonment. Employers have to be able to prove they took reasonable steps to contact the employee to determine a reason for why the employee did not show up to work. After three days they can, from a discrimination liability standpoint, safely, administratively, terminate the employee for job abandonment. It's not like there is no recourse for one or two nc/ns's, I'm pretty sure they count as occurances under the attendance policies.

MarvelousMunata

The Scapegoat With Attitude
Well you hang in there young lady. Glad to see you didn't get the boot for the no call/no show.

Your job is not easy. You'll like the extra $$$ tho'.
It was a new guy that overslept. They're harassing him...he barely speaks english. So they think they can get over.

Hahaha, i might be late once n awhile but i wont just miss a day of work. If i call out its scheduled ahead of time or a few hours before start time. <3
Thanks for the encouragement

SweatPit

i won't bite
It's very difficult to get fired at UPS for missing work. I have a co-worker that is been with UPS over 30 plus years and he's missed the past two weeks in a row no call no shows and call ins, mixed. He does this numerous times throughout the year but he gets away with it because the company doesn't pursue it with warning letters and such.