No Flr 1,2,3,4

kingOFchester

210-230 stops?????????? I'd probably leave Monday morning and tell them "Be back Friday night".

Tight area, lots of town houses, 10 feet off the road. But, getting in and out of an 800 that many times can't be good on the old body. But hey, my shoes are a shinin.

Indecisi0n

Tight area, lots of town houses, 10 feet off the road. But, getting in and out of an 800 that many times can't be good on the old body. But hey, my shoes are a shinin.

My route i normally have like 160-180ish and I have the same issue. Its not the route that kills me its the crappy 8 cube. When the 8 broke down i have a 10 cube and its AMAZING. The step is a lot lower and the door area isn't as narrow. Doing my 170 stops in the 10 makes the day so much easier on my body.

curiousbrain

The rules is suppose to work like this: If your floor 1,2,3,4 has 5 packages or less then it goes to the shelf; 6 packages or more are suppose to stay on the floor.

I'm not incredibly up-to-speed on how the dispatch plans work, but it does occur to me that on any given day, a business may order more than 5 or less than 5 packages; point being, unless the dispatch program has an if->then->else functionality built into it, the PDS has to dig through all floor stops and move them around the trucks appropriately. Additionally, drivers who have specific stops in specific spots are no longer afforded that luxury, and must dig around to some extent.

From a loaders perspective, too, maybe there are only 4 packages for Bubba's Gumball Emporium, but they are massive (either dimensionally or weight); clearly, they are not going on the shelf. Admittedly, I don't think that is a problem, as large boxes should not be on the shelf; regardless, this strikes me as more a "rule of dispatch" than a "rule of loading".

Thinking further, it also occurs to me that using the DataTool available from SharePoint, there is a button in the far right column (Production tools? or something to that effect) that will report on any floor stops that have 5 packages or less, alleviating the need for the PDS to manually hunt for stops that meet the specified conditions.

I can't speak for other centers, and can only make observations based on where I am employed: our PDS is stressed to the max, and on some days, can barely hold on to their sanity; this floor stop rule is not inherently bad, but it is just one more thing to do that they do not have time to do. Problems resulting from this rule may be contributed to by the fact that most PDS' have similar problems as our own, or that they are not totally comfortable with the dispatch software which, in my limited experience, is a Matryoshka doll of spreadsheets, charts, tables, etc .. and is not necessarily the most user friendly program I've ever used.

kingOFchester

My route i normally have like 160-180ish and I have the same issue. Its not the route that kills me its the crappy 8 cube. When the 8 broke down i have a 10 cube and its AMAZING. The step is a lot lower and the door area isn't as narrow. Doing my 170 stops in the 10 makes the day so much easier on my body.

The company will pay for it when we go out on workmans comp.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Music to a preloaders ears....just stick everything on the shelves as it comes, then when you run out of room, put it on the floor. No more load responsibility. What a mess.

thessalonian13

Do not use FL1, FL2, RDC positions for 5 packages or less (PDS takes it out of daily plan if stop is scheduled for 5 or less packages). FL3 and FL4 can still be used.

(Preloader should drop bulk stop/large packages to FL1/FL2 per his/her training and continue to snake the load)

Reason:

Less chance of driver injuring him/herself when bending over to get package off the floor..admit it, how many times have you just grabbed the shelf with one hand and with the other just grabbed a package off the floor.

Less chance of preloader injuring him/herself when loading packages to floor position.

It takes less time for a preloader to load the package on a shelf then it does to load on floor.

It takes less time for a driver to select from the shelf then it does from a floor position.

Ok everyone bring it on...the good-the bad-the ugly on why this will not work.
Problem with that is the stuff that is for floor 1,2,3,4 is usually for commercial accounts. Now all those commercial stops are loaded in with my residential stops that I do after 5pm. If I "follow edd" I won't be delivering all that comm. stuff till after 5 or 6 or 7pm. But I guess I can waste my time fishing that stuff out of the shelves and placing on the floor myself. LOL Pay me to do what my loader is supposed to do. And to think, I still have 9 and a half years more of dealing with these clueless dimwits. LOL

irishgirl

NEVER SIGN ANYTHING, EVER!!!! have your business agent sign, if needed.

So, what would be things not to sign? I know, you said "anything", but what exactly would those be? And, what do you mean by business agent? I hope it's ok to ask this! I'm not an employee at UPS, but I hope to be soon, looking for a heads up. I've learned quite a bit so far, to prepare myself, if that's even possible. Thanks :) (PS. Is there any way to PM a Moderator? I know I'm still new, I can't PM other users but thought I had read that you can contact Mods)

S

splozi

They read everything, so don't worry.

I wouldn't sign anything, but a paycheck.

In preload, a full time sup was going around to all of us and reading off this sheet of paper about safety. We were asked to sign at the bottom that it was read to us. Are you saying that I shouldn't have signed that?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In preload, a full time sup was going around to all of us and reading off this sheet of paper about safety. We were asked to sign at the bottom that it was read to us. Are you saying that I shouldn't have signed that?

Whether you choose to sign it or not you will still be expected to abide by whatever is on the sheet of paper.

menotyou

bella amicizia
nope. Don't even initial. If they have an issue, make sure you speak directly with your Business Agent. If he wants it signed, he can sign it for you.

S

splozi

nope. Don't even initial. If they have an issue, make sure you speak directly with your Business Agent. If he wants it signed, he can sign it for you.

Who is this "business agent" and how do I get ahold of him?