No More Guaranteed NEW 22.3/RPCD Jobs? Hybrids No 9.5 Protection?

Bolshevik

From what ive read so far, there is no language that calls for NEW 22.3/RPCD slots, only replacements of already existing slots, which are also highly sketchy from knowing UPS for 15 years. Its easy to see how this can become a slippery slope that the company uses, in the long run, to push down wages to levels Wall St likes. Current 22.3's might also be stuck in their bids, since majority of new 'combo' jobs would likely be 22.4's.

Also, at least in my hub, the 22.3's are getting together to file under 9.5 protection, since OT has been excessive and the contract (western sup) stipulates 'employees' not drivers as beneficiaries of 9.5 language. We'll see how it goes, not too optimistic.

Bolshevik

Now we know, for sure, VOTE NO!!

If you are a current 22.3, VOTE NO!

If you are a PT and dont want to drive but want to work FT, VOTE NO!

If you are a PT and WANT to drive FT, VOTE NO!

If you are a RPCD, VOTE NO!

Actually, if you work as a IBT union member at UPS, VOTE NO!!!

I cant think of anyone this contract benefits other than wall st investors, management (who will get fatter salaries/bonuses), hoffa-&-co.

Returntosender

Now we know, for sure, VOTE NO!!

If you are a current 22.3, VOTE NO!

If you are a PT and dont want to drive but want to work FT, VOTE NO!

If you are a PT and WANT to drive FT, VOTE NO!

If you are a RPCD, VOTE NO!

Actually, if you work as a IBT union member at UPS, VOTE NO!!!

I cant think of anyone this contract benefits other than wall st investors, management (who will get fatter salaries/bonuses), hoffa-&-co.

Well you need to address the part time workforce? Which 22.4 is the main selling point for the company?

What about the hundreds of thousands of PTs who want to work full time but not drive full time route?

If 22.4 takes 40 stops for 4 hour planned route in population dense area. Especially if 22.4 preloaded his/her own car.

22.4 can mirror FED EX operations RPCD just delivery of packages. 22.4 utilized to do scheduled pick ups for RPCD. Numerous drivers complain I have to break route to do this pick up at 1330. That pick up is already done by 22.4!

The above is all idealistic delivery routes the company going sell to part timers.

Some part timers see this 22.4 as opportunity to get a fulltime and earn fulltime pension pay? They take 6.00 pay cut for half stress a RPCD experiences?

UPSTeamster Pragmatist

The union created these 22.4 jobs for the part timers that want full time but don't want to deal with the stress of a RPCD. Less pay less stress. A stepping stone as well if they change their mind later. I agree the 5000 22.3 jobs won't happen most likely. Its obvious that the company plans to use 22.4 for inside work as well as outside because of the 1.5 break provision. 22.4 NEEDS to be protected from excessive overtime, lets see what local supplements can do.

opie

Well you need to address the part time workforce? Which 22.4 is the main selling point for the company?

What about the hundreds of thousands of PTs who want to work full time but not drive full time route?

If 22.4 takes 40 stops for 4 hour planned route in population dense area. Especially if 22.4 preloaded his/her own car.

22.4 can mirror FED EX operations RPCD just delivery of packages. 22.4 utilized to do scheduled pick ups for RPCD. Numerous drivers complain I have to break route to do this pick up at 1330. That pick up is already done by 22.4!

The above is all idealistic delivery routes the company going sell to part timers.

Some part timers see this 22.4 as opportunity to get a fulltime and earn fulltime pension pay? They take 6.00 pay cut for half stress a RPCD experiences?
It is likely they will just have the 22.4s drive for their whole shift. Working inside is not required.
image.jpg

Box Ox

They take 6.00 pay cut for half stress a RPCD experiences?

The Union might infer in its sales job that 22.4 is less stressful, and is therefore paid less. But I think the truth is that 22.4 creation was more about selling out than rationally addressing a business need of the Company.

22.4s will be worked like dogs on the delivery side of their shifts to take volume off higher paid RPCDs. Every package that can possibly go with them will be shoved into their trucks.

Completely disposable full timer underclass that the Company will be happy to underpay for a few years and then spit out.

Returntosender

The Union might infer in its sales job that 22.4 is less stressful, and is therefore paid less. But I think the truth is that 22.4 creation was more about selling out than rationally addressing a business need of the Company.

22.4s will be worked like dogs on the delivery side of their shifts to take volume off higher paid RPCDs. Every package that can possibly go with them will be shoved into their trucks.

Completely disposable full timer underclass that the Company will be happy to underpay for a few years and then spit out.
I agree with sell out.

My initial point is the 22.4 is bait to get part timers to vote and pass the contract. Most who vote are FT.

Box Ox

I agree with sell out.

My initial point is the 22.4 is bait to get part timers to vote and pass the contract. Most who vote are FT.

Yep. Most will see dollar signs (and I can’t blame them) but would ultimately regret ever having gone FT when they realize what they’ve actually signed up for a whole ‘nother level of disposability.