No New Sleeper Teams

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
F5B11D3A-C9A2-46DF-A611-59BCF92CDBBF.png

Much has been made about UPS adding 2000 new sleeper team jobs. But if you actually read the proposed language, it’s not hard to see how UPS could use this proposal to create NO new sleeper jobs, and even start to eliminate current mileage jobs.

The new contract says if UPS creates 200 new jobs by the end of 2019, then 450 in each of following years of the contract, they can use substitute means of running loads off the rail.

All it guarantees us, is 2000 new jobs REMOVING loads from the rail, not running them. This is exactly the opposite of what we wanted from the new contract.

It was almost as if Denis T gave the union lawyers the day off when this section was written.

Simply pathetic.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Much has been made about UPS adding 2000 new sleeper team jobs. But if you actually read the proposed language, it’s not hard to see how UPS could use this proposal to create NO new sleeper jobs, and even start to eliminate current mileage jobs.

The new contract says if UPS creates 200 new jobs by the end of 2019, then 450 in each of following years of the contract, they can use substitute means of running loads off the rail.

All it guarantees us, is 2000 new jobs REMOVING loads from the rail, not running them. This is exactly the opposite of what we wanted from the new contract.

It was almost as if Denis T gave the union lawyers the day off when this section was written.

Simply pathetic.

If you get a chance, listen to the conference call @UPS rising.

Listen to the UPS Teleconference Call from July 10 - UPS Rising

Denis T addressed this.

If I remember correctly, they were being pulled off the rail specifically to be made

in to sleeper runs and the company would have a "roving group" of 100 supes roaming

the country to train drivers. I'll go back and listen to it again.

This was one of my personal concern's with the new language, that I wanted clarification on.

-Bug-

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I am concerned with that language as well. If they hire 200 then use of contractors will be wide open. We run quite a few extra rail jobs on Sundays, I'm sure those would disappear.

The link to the conference call goes to static part way in. Any other links?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If you get a chance, listen to the conference call @UPS rising.

Listen to the UPS Teleconference Call from July 10 - UPS Rising

Denis T addressed this.

If I remember correctly, they were being pulled off the rail specifically to be made

in to sleeper runs and the company would have a "roving group" of 100 supes roaming

This was one of my personal concern's with the new language, that I wanted clarification on.

-Bug-

That may be true, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense. We’ve been training 3-4 drivers every other week since late winter. And we’re just one hub. So I don’t know why they would need a mobile band of sups to train drivers.

Either way, we already fight UPS for using contractors when the current contract language only allows contractors during peak. That doesn’t stop them, so why would be allowing language in the new contract that makes it easier for them to farm out our work?

This was the most important issue for feeder drivers and our negotiators did the opposite of what we asked. If they can use contractors however they want, that’s the beginning of the end for union feeder drivers at UPS.

Why else would they have spent almost 2 billion dollars on Coyote Logistics?

This contract is a non-starter for me and everyone I know in feeders.

Box Ox

Denis T addressed this.

Yep. It's under "More Subcontracting in Feeders".

BYvUwAQ.jpg

upschuck

Interpreting the contract is where all power comes from.
But when people with an agenda interpret the contract to meet their views, then we can't really trust what is said. I believe my interpretation would be much more level headed and true to the contract , than most here, by reading the thing with an open mind, and without preconceived notions.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
But when people with an agenda interpret the contract to meet their views, then we can't really trust what is said. I believe my interpretation would be much more level headed and true to the contract , than most here, by reading the thing with an open mind, and without preconceived notions.
The only thing that matters, is how UPS applies their interpretation, and what your local does in response.