NO RTO NO SICK DAYS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Gee, such words of praise from a self-absorbed, somewhat racist Big Joe Union.

....and people wonder why the average worker doesn't involve themselves more in their union local...

BlackCat

Absolutely it would. Package or Feeder, you are a Commercial Driver regardless of the type of license you are required to have. I am personally aware of several instances where a Package Driver brought the car back in & refused to continue due to being ill and/or fatigued. Any discipline issued was withdrawn. Definitely make an STAA complaint to OSHA if there any attempt to discipline due to illness or fatigue (including heat related).

Incidentally, in Arizona we just had the second part of our Minimum Wage law go into effect on July 1st. This guarantees all workers 6 earned days of sick leave that can be taken for virtually any reason including caring for a sick relative. Employers are expressly forbidden from denying this leave under most circumstances and there is no exception for workers already under a CBA. All this from a supposed Red State. Those managers who have been on a rampage denying Optional Day's the last few months are going to have a rough Summer.....

Frequently Asked Questions About Wage and Earned Paid Sick Time Laws | Industrial Commission of Arizona

Is this in addition to our entitlements or are they simply substituting our current sick days?

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Is this in addition to our entitlements or are they simply substituting our current sick days?
No, it is not in addition. A company may provide better benefits than the law requires, and ours does by providing 7 sick days per year with a max bank of 60. However, the law does prevent an employer from retaliating for using those sick days, even if they are in excess of what the law requires. Have 60 in the bank? Call out for the next 12 weeks straight and they can't do a thing.

BlackCat

No, it is not in addition. A company may provide better benefits than the law requires, and ours does by providing 7 sick days per year with a max bank of 60. However, the law does prevent an employer from retaliating for using those sick days, even if they are in excess of what the law requires. Have 60 in the bank? Call out for the next 12 weeks straight and they can't do a thing.

If an employer already has a paid-time-off policy, does it have to offer additional earned paid sick time?

If an employer has a paid leave policy that provides an amount of paid leave that meets or exceeds Arizona’s earned paid sick time minimum requirements (and can be used for the same purposes and under the same conditions as the statutorily-required earned paid sick time), the employer is not required to provide additional earned paid sick time.

Has UPS addressed the part in bold?

IMO our sick days were to be used for our own personal illness not taking my daughter to the DR (which I now can)

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
If an employer already has a paid-time-off policy, does it have to offer additional earned paid sick time?

If an employer has a paid leave policy that provides an amount of paid leave that meets or exceeds Arizona’s earned paid sick time minimum requirements (and can be used for the same purposes and under the same conditions as the statutorily-required earned paid sick time), the employer is not required to provide additional earned paid sick time.

Has UPS addressed the part in bold?

IMO our sick days were to be used for our own personal illness not taking my daughter to the DR (which I now can)

I haven't heard anything from the Company regarding this, but I really can't wait to sit in a disciplinary meeting over attendance and there are sick call occurances.

May an employer offer more generous earned paid sick time policies than those required by the Act?
Yes. Pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes § 23-378, nothing in Arizona’s earned paid sick time provisions should be construed to discourage or prohibit an employer from adopting or retaining an earned paid sick time policy that is more generous than that required by the Fair Wages and Healthy Families Act (the “Act”). Additionally, the provisions of the Act do not diminish an employer’s obligation to comply with any contract, collective bargaining agreement, employment benefit plan, or other agreement that provides more generous paid sick time to an employee than that required by the Act.

BlackCat

I haven't heard anything from the Company regarding this, but I really can't wait to sit in a disciplinary meeting over attendance and there are sick call occurances.

May an employer offer more generous earned paid sick time policies than those required by the Act?
Yes. Pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes § 23-378, nothing in Arizona’s earned paid sick time provisions should be construed to discourage or prohibit an employer from adopting or retaining an earned paid sick time policy that is more generous than that required by the Fair Wages and Healthy Families Act (the “Act”). Additionally, the provisions of the Act do not diminish an employer’s obligation to comply with any contract, collective bargaining agreement, employment benefit plan, or other agreement that provides more generous paid sick time to an employee than that required by the Act.

Anyone would banged in sick the 3rd or 5th and was written up should file a retaliation grievance.