Non-bonus center ops changed?

imwell

I'm as productive as the methods allow.
If you were bonus that route would not have existed.

Exactly. I am in a bonus center. Any route we have ever had that consistently achieved high, daily bonus (lets say 2+hours a day), have had the planned day numbers "re-cooked" so the exact same route/driver now have a tough time just making scratch, let alone attaining any meaningful bonus.

Mr.Golden

It's a lunch break, not a dinner break. Stop running all day. You're the reason why they cut routes.

So you're saying if I did 9-5 well correction 9-6 and take my break 4 pm. or 5 is why the rt get cut?? That can't be true cause I would still finish at 6 no matter WHEN I take my break

Mr.Golden

The Best manager I ever had said, " If I had my way, my first day as a center manager, I would fire the first 10 drivers that look at the numbers in the AM. It would immediately eliminate 80% of the follow ups, 90% of lost time injuries, and allow me to justify (to my boss)ADDING routes in the long run." Kind of says it all

I've been with UPS for 10 yrs now no accident no injuries. I don't know about driver follow ups. I usually keep plugs out of sight and weather. Also make sure ppl home electronic stuff

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why would the company give bonus if they thought it was costing them extra money?

I think they like bonus because it cuts wages. So really, the company is the one getting the bonus.
Occasionally a blind pig can find an acorn.
Stop counts, piece counts have gone up somewhere between 7-15% over last 5-10 year's is what some of the more senior driver's are saying. They blame it on the bonus. So that's why I'm asking if non bonus centers routes have changed over the same time frame.
I was a bonus coordinator and involved in Bonus administration and auditing.
Since I am retired, I think I can safely relay why UPS was so big on Bonus back 30 -50 years ago.
Simply, it was to get pickup volume back into the twilight sorts and center reloads so the volume could be processed by the scheduled pull times. This was when P/T made as much as friend/T drivers so the financials were positive for Bonus.
Now it is more cost-effective to hire more P/T at 1/3 the friend/T rate and run a more time-compressed sort.
That along with the fact that centers are measured as cost centers than production centers takes a lot of the lipstick of the bonus pig.
I doubt if UPS is trying to get Bonus voted in anymore and once it is voted out, it will be gone for good.
You get as much work put on your truck as they think you can get done. Bonus or not.
I think this is reflected from the posts

Last edited:

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Recently one of our Orion cordinaters we had also once had a position in the the "bonus investigation team". She said and I quote, "UPS does not like the bonus". The best I got was that as far as they are concerned is that for every 5 bonus drivers, 3 are doing it illegally. They believe it costs more than it saves. So for all you who think it's some conspiracy by UPS to eliminate Union jobs, think again.

Recently one of our Orion cordinaters we had also once had a position in the the "bonus investigation team". She said and I quote, "UPS does not like the bonus". The best I got was that as far as they are concerned is that for every 5 bonus drivers, 3 are doing it illegally. They believe it costs more than it saves. So for all you who think it's some conspiracy by UPS to eliminate Union jobs, think again.
Ups wouldn't allow it. If it was no benefit to them. Just like 9.5. Grievances. They don't want to pay them. But its still way cheaper than having another employee on the payroll.

Jmho

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
At the center level they don't really care about bonus one way or the other. They get graded on revenue and stops per car, not how much a driver ran under.

DOK

So glad we aren't a bonus center. I just don't think it is worth the effort. They just keep jacking up your numbers so you cant. Then you cant live up to the numbers you created. May work out for a time. But, in the end you are doing exactly what they want. Running. Wut???

I'll have to say you'd think they would jack the numbers but this is just not the case in our center atleast. We've been a bonus center forever and in our recent virtual time study (2 years ago) everybody gained something, some guys an hour. If you work steady and follow the methods, you can come in an hour under, which is making up the lunch you skipped if you decided to do so. Out of 40 or so rtes I'd say maybe 5 guys show up on the operation report as over allowed on an average day.

As I sit here reading all the responses to this post. I seem to believe that bonus is good for a center. The ones that seem to like bonus seem to have to defend themselves way to much. Why is it the ones who don't seem to think it's okay to be average or even worse below average. You need the bonus drivers so u can get your 8 hr request or because you fell behind and won't make 9.5. How is it ever okay to not work to the best of your ability. Would you tell your kids that the D on their report card is okay because numbers don't matter? So I ask those drivers is that honest or is it stealing? I am in no way saying running is what you should be doing but maybe you guys spend more time running your mouths than running your truck. I love my job. I love company. I love what the union is supposed to stand for! Protecting hard workers. Not to protect you from working hard.

OPTION3

As I sit here reading all the responses to this post. I seem to believe that bonus is good for a center. The ones that seem to like bonus seem to have to defend themselves way to much. Why is it the ones who don't seem to think it's okay to be average or even worse below average. You need the bonus drivers so u can get your 8 hr request or because you fell behind and won't make 9.5. How is it ever okay to not work to the best of your ability. Would you tell your kids that the D on their report card is okay because numbers don't matter? So I ask those drivers is that honest or is it stealing? I am in no way saying running is what you should be doing but maybe you guys spend more time running your mouths than running your truck. I love my job. I love company. I love what the union is supposed to stand for! Protecting hard workers. Not to protect you from working hard.
If your kid is getting a D on their report card...and they are trying their hardest would you punish them over and over? Would you add more homework even if they weren't getting it? So I ask you if I'm trying my hardest and still run 1hour of over allowed or greater is the company being unfair? Running your mouth? Sounds like a perfect example of an on road to me JMHO