Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Buying guns online is such a HUGE pain in the ass. I only ever do it as an absolute last resort. Even if the gun itself costs a little less, you gotta pay for the FFL transfer. You gotta arrange to have your dealer send a copy of their license to the seller (often a game of faxing, phone tag and dropping off letters; another pain in the ass). Online sellers also always have a "3% cash discount", a euphemism for a 3% credit card fee. Not bad if it's a cheaper gun but on a $850 gun that's almost thirty bucks pissed away, so you gotta either go through the hassle of sending a money order or a check and if you send the latter they often wait a week to ship it to ensure the check clears, another pain in the ass. And after all that you often have to pay for the shipping yourself (not cheap on an overnight with signature required).

I stick to my local shops whenever possible. Even if the gun's a little more, I don't have to pay shipping or FFL fees or deal with any of that other :censored2:. Plus it helps keep local shops in business.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ooh man. Buddy's getting off work soon with his new 870. Gettin' pumped.

870 isn't newest or sexiest shotgun but you can always count on it to work. I have always preferred pump action shotguns as best choice for widest amount of applications. Autos are good and a lot of fun but there's nothing like racking that slide. Double barrels are cool but I never could hit the broad side of a barn with one.

sailfish

870 isn't newest or sexiest shotgun but you can always count on it to work. I have always preferred pump action shotguns as best choice for widest amount of applications. Autos are good and a lot of fun but there's nothing like racking that slide. Double barrels are cool but I never could hit the broad side of a barn with one.
I told him the semi auto is of course more "practical" maybe, but the pump action will be loads more fun. One of the reasons I tend to favor revolvers.

oldngray

nowhere special
I told him the semi auto is of course more "practical" maybe, but the pump action will be loads more fun. One of the reasons I tend to favor revolvers.
I've always been a big revolver fan too. Way better if you like to reload and test out different loads. Unlike auto pistols a revolver will shoot almost anything that fits.

wayfair

swollen member
Buying guns online is such a HUGE pain in the ass. I only ever do it as an absolute last resort. Even if the gun itself costs a little less, you gotta pay for the FFL transfer. You gotta arrange to have your dealer send a copy of their license to the seller (often a game of faxing, phone tag and dropping off letters; another pain in the ass). Online sellers also always have a "3% cash discount", a euphemism for a 3% credit card fee. Not bad if it's a cheaper gun but on a $850 gun that's almost thirty bucks pissed away, so you gotta either go through the hassle of sending a money order or a check and if you send the latter they often wait a week to ship it to ensure the check clears, another pain in the ass. And after all that you often have to pay for the shipping yourself (not cheap on an overnight with signature required).

I stick to my local shops whenever possible. Even if the gun's a little more, I don't have to pay shipping or FFL fees or deal with any of that other :censored2:. Plus it helps keep local shops in business.

Not for me, the shop I go to charges $10 per transfer. Their FFL info is already in the data base. Actually the places I shop online have lists of FFL's around the city.
Most of the time I look for free shipping.
I do shop local as well for things I HAVE TO HAVE ASAP, lol.

sailfish

I've always been a big revolver fan too. Way better if you like to reload and test out different loads. Unlike auto pistols a revolver will shoot almost anything that fits.
I reload more often but while my buddy goes back to the bench to tediously reload mags, I'm still at the firing line shooting. I actually enjoy the reload process on a revolver, especially a Colt Single Action or clone.

I still have my DIAD pouch from UPS. I just put it on my belt, fill it up with cartridges, and off I go to shoot.

sailfish

Not for me, the shop I go to charges $10 per transfer. Their FFL info is already in the data base. Actually the places I shop online have lists of FFL's around the city.
Most of the time I look for free shipping.
I do shop local as well for things I HAVE TO HAVE ASAP, lol.
You're one of the lucky ones. I've done it four times and it was nothing but unpleasant.

oldngray

nowhere special
You're one of the lucky ones. I've done it four times and it was nothing but unpleasant.
I know a couple of guys who will do it as a sideline but the big gun shops won't do it. They want to sell you something from their inventory. Too much hassle unless its something I can't get anywhere else.

wayfair

swollen member
I know a couple of guys who will do it as a sideline but the big gun shops won't do it. They want to sell you something from their inventory. Too much hassle unless its something I can't get anywhere else.

Yea it's funny 1 of the big gun shops here charges $45 per transfer and does NOT accept transfers from Cheaper than Dirt, Buds Guns, Grab a gun, or Impact guns.
Heck they have the M&P shield for sale @344.99 and I can get it at Palmetto for $249...

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Model 12 FTW

sailfish

Good session. My buddy surprised me when he showed up with a Heritage Arms .22 single action revolver he bought today. I guess he liked shooting my Rough Rider and Colt Peacemaker before. He's itchin' for a Sig now apparently so I broke the news about me and the King Cobra. He wasn't surprised.

20190720_192118.jpg