Non-Political Gun Talk (On topic)

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
You went with the 2"? Both of them?
Tombstone.jpg

over9five

Staff member
3guns.jpg

Good time at the range earlier. Really enjoyed the new 686.
On the right is my daughters Ruger .357. Don't like that because it beats up my second finger, not much room between grip and trigger guard.

quad decade guy

Anyone try a 9mm carbine? I started buying matching piston cartridge rifles ie 9mm etc. .357 mag. Etc even .44 mag.

The idea of carrying one type ammo is appealing. Yes, I've heard pistol cartridges make lousy long guns. But, if I can hunt deer with a .357 mag, it should make an effective rifle. Seems. Thoughts?

oldngray

nowhere special
Anyone try a 9mm carbine? I started buying matching piston cartridge rifles ie 9mm etc. .357 mag. Etc even .44 mag.

The idea of carrying one type ammo is appealing. Yes, I've heard pistol cartridges make lousy long guns. But, if I can hunt deer with a .357 mag, it should make an effective rifle. Seems. Thoughts?
I'm not a fan of 9 mm carbines but some of them take the same magazines as pistols which is a huge plus if that is what you are looking for. I do have .44 and .357 carbines but they use tubular magazines. Big difference and less convenient but worth it for me. 9mm for deer would be really iffy. Might work at short ranges but seems marginal.

quad decade guy

I'm not a fan of 9 mm carbines but some of them take the same magazines as pistols which is a huge plus if that is what you are looking for. I do have .44 and .357 carbines but they use tubular magazines. Big difference and less convenient but worth it for me. 9mm for deer would be really iffy. Might work at short ranges but seems marginal.
Well, I kind of plan for the end of the world stuff. Yes, the 9mm carbine takes Glock mags and the 30 rounders work well. I have seen 1 inch punch through of 9mm at 400 yards. Takes awhile to get there but possible. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. I'd say 1-2 hundred yards with 9mm would be quite effective. .357mag very. To carry one caliber would be handy on the run. Now finding say .357 mag laying around vs. 9mm? Different story. Btw my .357 mag is a Rossi side loader lever.

quad decade guy

My .357mag is my Dad's ancient Ruger Blackhawk 8 in I think.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My wife’s uncle passed away earlier this year and as a retired police officer he had a few weapons. Last Saturday I finally got to pick over what was left at my sister-in-laws. I took this Marlin Model 336. My sister-in-law
was in charge and she kept the one I really wanted. A Smith Wesson Model 29 .44 with a six inch barrel.

21962941-2AF3-474B-8119-9022E5B8C8A1.jpeg

oldngray

nowhere special
My wife’s uncle passed away earlier this year and as a retired police officer he had a few weapons. Last Saturday I finally got to pick over what was left at my sister-in-laws. I took this Marlin Model 336. My sister-in-law
was in charge and she kept the one I really wanted. A Smith Wesson Model 29 .44 with a six inch barrel.

View attachment 310499
I would prefer the Model 29 too but The Marlin is also nice. I like the 336 a lot better than Winchester 94's.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I offered her $1000 for it, she wouldn’t take it. It was blue and in excellent shape, no box with a cheap Camo shoulder harness.