Noob ready for long dark nights delivering pkgs

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You need 2 flashlights.

Flashlight #1 needs to be a 4 or 5 cell Mag Light. The new LED ones are as bright as a spotlight and they make a great club for thumping dogs that want to bite you. You can buy a ring holster for them like the cops use that hangs from your belt and makes them a lot easier to carry around with you than a bulky spotlight. Another problem with spotlights is that they are made of plastic and they simply wont survive long in a package car, whereas my Mag Light is about 25 years old and still as good as new.

Flashlight #2 needs to be a Streamlight compact AAA model that slides into your shirt pocket and clips like a pen. These things are amazingly bright. They are also tough anodized aluminum that holds up well to being accidentally dropped or beat up. They are perfect for lighting up dark stairways and porches, and they are small and light enough to hold in your mouth if you need both hands free. I like mine for the simple fact that its small size and light weight means it is in my shirt pocket and available 100% of the time. You can order them on Amazon for around $20 or so.

Take it from a guy with 27 years experience working in the dark; don't cheap out on flashlights. Invest once in a Mag Light and a Streamlight, and they will last the rest of your career.

novadriver

You need 2 flashlights.

Flashlight #1 needs to be a 4 or 5 cell Mag Light. The new LED ones are as bright as a spotlight and they make a great club for thumping dogs that want to bite you. You can buy a ring holster for them like the cops use that hangs from your belt and makes them a lot easier to carry around with you than a bulky spotlight. Another problem with spotlights is that they are made of plastic and they simply wont survive long in a package car, whereas my Mag Light is about 25 years old and still as good as new.

Flashlight #2 needs to be a Streamlight compact AAA model that slides into your shirt pocket and clips like a pen. These things are amazingly bright. They are also tough anodized aluminum that holds up well to being accidentally dropped or beat up. They are perfect for lighting up dark stairways and porches, and they are small and light enough to hold in your mouth if you need both hands free. I like mine for the simple fact that its small size and light weight means it is in my shirt pocket and available 100% of the time. You can order them on Amazon for around $20 or so.

Take it from a guy with 27 years experience working in the dark; don't cheap out on flashlights. Invest once in a Mag Light and a Streamlight, and they will last the rest of your career.
i saw the maglight, but i didnt know if it was powerful enough for those lond driveways, maybe ill go get one just so i have one of each lol

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Friday i got sent out on in the blind on a new route im going to be covering from now on. I have late pickups, and got stuck doing resi's in the dark, with no mailboxes or curbs with numbers on them.. I didnt get back to building until 945pm. So today i bought a spotlight at homerdepot hoping i can shed some light on there addresses easier.. Anyone ever use a spotlight during the dark for deliverys?
Bringing a spotlight during the winter should be a no brainer really. Jobs all bout preparation day in n day out. Think of it like a camping trip you bring all the necessities your going to need for your trip.

novadriver

i just tried out my spot light its pretty powerful... ill test it once its dark.. only downside non rechargeable batteries

gman042

Been around the block a few times
i saw the maglight, but i didnt know if it was powerful enough for those lond driveways, maybe ill go get one just so i have one of each lol

The second flashlight that I use is about the size of maglight but rated at 500 yards. Good for those long driveways. Runs on 4 AA.
Kinda spendy though but as stated before don't skimp on a good flashlight.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Its amazing,how different your route looks in the dark.
Thank god you know the numbers cause even after 20 years some mailboxes still don't have numbers and the usual note at the door please knock,door bell doesn't work. Sometimes I feel like having a box of reflective numbers in the truck to stick on those boxes and one of those wireless bell ringers. What does it take, 20 bucks at home depot and 15 minutes to apply.

novadriver

Thank god you know the numbers cause even after 20 years some mailboxes still don't have numbers and the usual note at the door please knock,door bell doesn't work. Sometimes I feel like having a box of reflective numbers in the truck to stick on those boxes and one of those wireless bell ringers. What does it take, 20 bucks at home depot and 15 minutes to apply.
im still new and i try and remember the houses with no numbers address for later reference but it sucks when you have two next to each other with no number... i hit no listing stop complete rts baby

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Now there is a great idea, stick the numbers on, buy a gross of them, Merry Christmas from your awesome UPS driver, you now have a house number. You could save lives!! I often ask people what would happen in an emergency situation, if your house is not marked. They usually say nothing.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
im still new and i try and remember the houses with no numbers address for later reference but it sucks when you have two next to each other with no number... i hit no listing stop complete rts baby
Depending on your safety, and your mood, I really dont think a whole lot of effort at this point should be made at trying to decipher which one of 3 could be the right one. If you have time you could walk up to each door, and ask, some areas they do not know their address, some dont know their neighbors name.