Not Allowed To Drink Water While Stopped At A Red Light

Overpaid Union Thug

I get where they're coming from, but is this really what's causing all the Tier 3 crashes? Is this what management should be focused on?
I don't think it is. I'm more worried about this dispatch that has me crossing a busy shopping district 3x on a Saturday morning, to try and service pickups that aren't even open on Saturday.

Where is my union while this is going on? Last time I called the local they didn't even have our steward's number. You think they'd put that in a rolodex or something.
When they remove the cup holders from the cab I’ll stop drinking my water/Gatorade/whatever in the cab. I’ll just have to take more time between stops to drink up.
Drivers and mechanics are too quick to condemn the whole cradle when most of the time it just needs a good scrub around the contacts.
Proper care works. I’ve had the same cradle for ten months. The problems are when I’ve been off and the cover drivers have been slamming the DIADs and knocking the pins out of whack. A day or two of proper placement once I’m back always realigns them.

When the cradle works it takes half of the thinking out of the job. I follow ORION religiously so all I need to do is concentrate on driving. So, I’m more than willing to spray my cradle contacts with contact cleaner once a day. It takes about four seconds because I keep the spray in the cab under the dash. It doesn’t take allot. A dab of “bulb grease” once in a while helps too. Our mechanic actually gave me some a while back.

BrownSnowFlake

I had a situation last week where ORION glitched out on one of its endless reshuffles and put a country address in the middle of a bunch of suburb stops. It would've been 30 extra minutes of driving to run it that way. I should've done so, my supes are always saying to follow trace.

Overpaid Union Thug

I had a situation last week where ORION glitched out on one of its endless reshuffles and put a country address in the middle of a bunch of suburb stops. It would've been 30 extra minutes of driving to run it that way. I should've done so, my supes are always saying to follow trace.
I would have. I have done just that. It’s their program. If our CEO really wanted us to think for ourselves she’d bring back RDO.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

It makes those mistakes all the time when it reshuffles. More so than the static Orion. At one point it had me returning twice in one day to the same cul de sac for absolutely no reason. Don’t even get me started on what it does to a split with multiple towns.

It makes those mistakes all the time when it reshuffles. More so than the static Orion. At one point it had me returning twice in one day to the same cul de sac for absolutely no reason. Don’t even get me started on what it does to a split with multiple towns.
Orion is a joke if you're under dispatch you'll have you doing stupid stuff just to come get this have to pay you not to work

rod

Retired 22 years
I'll wash my own windshield for $30 / hour. I used to wash windows for 12.
I made tons of money washing my own windows and hosing out my truck on company time. I got yelled at a lot for washing off the shelves and floor of my truck at least once a month but didn't really care. I hated a truck that was filthy from dirt, dust, styrofoam noodles and all the other crap that accumulated.

Cowboy Mac

There's seriously no point in having to remember how many packages and the HIN for a stop. It allows you to focus more on the things around you and planning your route. The cradle grounds me more. I'm able to think ahead way further than before we had nav units. I will admit that it is an absolute pain in the ass when it's completely in the wrong order, you have stops every 80 feet, and many other things, but I will die on this hill that it doesn't help you with anything.
That is the method. You’re supposed to know where you’re going and how many pieces before you leave for the next stop to help you plan ahead. Looking at the gps while driving is not a method. Cradle usage is not a method. And Orion is not a method.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I get where they're coming from, but is this really what's causing all the Tier 3 crashes? Is this what management should be focused on?

I don't think it is. I'm more worried about this dispatch that has me crossing a busy shopping district 3x on a Saturday morning, to try and service pickups that aren't even open on Saturday.

Where is my union while this is going on? Last time I called the local they didn't even have our steward's number. You think they'd put that in a rolodex or something.View attachment 350827
mario-mean.gif

Overpaid Union Thug

That is the method. You’re supposed to know where you’re going and how many pieces before you leave for the next stop to help you plan ahead. Looking at the gps while driving is not a method. Cradle usage is not a method. And Orion is not a method.
You can use ORION in tandem with the methods. I still know my next stops/call tags and how many pieces. I still visually locate at least one of the pieces for my next stop as I’m about to pull my current stop out of the cargo hold. The job has never been easier. And downright entertaining when ORION is on a roll.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
If they wanted to have cradles that last they should have designed them better. Mines been broken for almost a year and I’ve asked about having it replaced more than once. Still the same old broken cradle…Whatever, I don’t need it. The only part I liked was keeping the diad charged.
Glad yours charges

moldsporh

In regards to the OP's thread title, how was that communicated? Diad or PCM? Did they say "don't drink water at a red light? Or, "try not to drink at a red light as it we have/are having tier 3 issues"

Either way, this is how those cameras will tattle-tale on you, they just need to notify you first, then let some time pass for discipline.

BrownSnowFlake

In regards to the OP's thread title, how was that communicated? Diad or PCM? Did they say "don't drink water at a red light? Or, "try not to drink at a red light as it we have/are having tier 3 issues"

Either way, this is how those cameras will tattle-tale on you, they just need to notify you first, then let some time pass for discipline.
PCM
"The company considers this distracted driving, you sign the distracted driving policy every year"
IIRC that paper only referred to electronic devices.