Not voting= a "no" vote?

JustDeliverIt

Was told at PCM this morning by management that only 26% have voted so far. Urged us to check out upsers for info and vote if we haven't.

EasyTrucker

Unless you’re an Election Supervisor or work for Ballot Point, No One knows any percentages!! And if Election Supervisors are sharing info with members they need to be brought up on charges!!!

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If that's true, then that's more then last contract I believe. It also means it's doomed to fail in my eyes.

No way would a operational supervisor or manager have any clue on the "Ballot Point" results so far...Just pulling your chain...

If it is true and only 26 percent of the UPS membership has voted so far, that means that only the hard core voters sent in their ballots (early) now consider the fact that only 23 percent voted on the "strike authorization" and the vast majority of those would be clear "NO" voters and you would see that it would be close to 90 percent that would of voted this tentative contract down big time, no slight of hand from the International...I believe it will be more like 40 percent as usual and could reach 50 or above with a little luck..

Also consider the quotes (if true) about the last International election..Of those UPS Teamsters that voted Zuckermann won 70 percent of their votes. It shows a real discontent among our membership on how things are being run with our current leadership. Also a carry over from the last contract, a lot of membership still angry from 5 years ago..

With the headline news of the "Markets" hitting unheard numbers with the "UPS Mechanics NO vote" and "Amazon's starting hourly rate did not help either"..

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No way would a operational supervisor or manager have any clue on the "Ballot Point" results so far...Just pulling your chain...

The stuff people believe....

I believe it will be more like 40 percent as usual and could reach 50 or above with a little luck..

A strong turnout would be impressive and would send a message, but I won't hold my breath.

With the headline news of the "Markets" hitting unheard numbers with the "UPS Mechanics NO vote" and "Amazon's starting hourly rate did not help either"..

The news with the mechanics is kind of "meh", as they are covered under the RLA.

The news that Amazon is cutting bonuses and stock awards to pay for the $15 an hour

pay increases should come as no shock.

trickpony1

When I got in tonight my on road asked me if I voted yet. I wanted to know why he wanted to know. He said not voting equals a no vote. Has anyone else heard this?

That supe is blowing smoke up your pant leg.
Not voting = a Yes vote.

A No vote cancels out someone else's Yes vote.
Not voting allows a Yes vote to exist.

Management will tell you anything they think you're stupid enough to believe.
Never believe management.

barnyard

KTM rider
That supe is blowing smoke up your pant leg.
Not voting = a Yes vote.

A No vote cancels out someone else's Yes vote.
Not voting allows a Yes vote to exist.

I asked my BA about that after the last contract. He said that a non-vote is a non-vote. The only votes counted are the votes that are cast.

That said, online voting is ridiculously easy. In my driver group, there are at least 5 that are not voting, they do not care one way or the other. They also never vote in elections, they just do not care.

trickpony1

I asked my BA about that after the last contract. He said that a non-vote is a non-vote. The only votes counted are the votes that are cast.

I never said a non-vote counted as a Yes or No vote.

Ask him if a No vote doesn't cancel someone else's Yes vote making it, essentially, void.

Ask him if a precedence of non-votes and No votes will pass the contract.

Then ask him how well he did in Logic and Reasoning class in college.

trickpony1

Thanks.
I misspoke.

You're sharp enough to understand my logic.

Given: A and B,
Not A, therefore B.

EDIT: it also would have been nice if you had quoted my post (#27) in it's entirety.
A non-vote is, essentially, a Yes vote.

Last edited:

A non vote is like a vote against how you would have voted. Because your non vote didn’t cancel out an opposing vote.

trickpony1

A precedence of non-votes and No votes will not pass the contract which is their ultimate goal.

You're saying if I was gonna vote NO and then decided not to vote then my non-vote cancels out my intended NO vote. I'm sorry but I don't agree.

I'll say it again...a precedence of non-votes and NO votes will not pass the contract. A precedence of Yes votes, that have not been canceled out by NO....and only NO votes, will pass the contract.

If you're against passage of the contract I'd suggest you vote NO. A YES vote or non-vote will not defeat the contract.

It's really very simple.

barnyard

KTM rider
You're sharp enough to understand my logic.

I do get your logic. The issue is that there are large numbers of people that think that they do not have to vote if they were voting yes, because a non-vote is counted as a yes vote.

The best way for anyone to make their wishes known on this or any contract, is to take the tiny bit of time that it takes and vote.

A precedence of non-votes and No votes will not pass the contract which is their ultimate goal.

You're saying if I was gonna vote NO and then decided not to vote then my non-vote cancels out my intended NO vote. I'm sorry but I don't agree.

I'll say it again...a precedence of non-votes and NO votes will not pass the contract. A precedence of Yes votes, that have not been canceled out by NO....and only NO votes, will pass the contract.

If you're against passage of the contract I'd suggest you vote NO. A YES vote or non-vote will not defeat the contract.

It's really very simple.
No, I’m saying by not voting, your potential NO vote did not cancel out a yes vote. So essentially by not voting. It’s almost like 2 yes votes.

Mooseknuckle

Scare tactics. The fact that they let a moderator for browncafe see a spread sheet on this doesn't surprise me at all. Spread sheets are pretty easy to make up. Very in expensive way to fight us. With most of the non votes undoubtedly being from all the new hires, I'm sure they believe those people to be easily swayed to vote yes. Have you ever seen them push this more? Have you ever seen them Hire so many people just before a new contract is ratified? True, we have peak coming but, I've seen no new full time drivers come onboard. A ridiculous amount of new part timers though. This peak will be bad!

542thruNthru

Scare tactics. The fact that they let a moderator for browncafe see a spread sheet on this doesn't surprise me at all. Spread sheets are pretty easy to make up. Very in expensive way to fight us. With most of the non votes undoubtedly being from all the new hires, I'm sure they believe those people to be easily swayed to vote yes. Have you ever seen them push this more? Have you ever seen them Hire so many people just before a new contract is ratified? True, we have peak coming but, I've seen no new full time drivers come onboard. A ridiculous amount of new part timers though. This peak will be bad!

What moderator and what spread sheet?