Not what i thought when i qualified

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I've just qualified in April. Did the train route for a month and was scratching at the end as I learned the area. New route last week was a struggle had to get help everyday. Now the driver l was covering comes back. So I only ly know two routes. Alot of new drivers coming on and not.enough sups to train them. So I guess I won't be working too much from now untill they train me on others. I'm not down for doing a route blind unless I know the area. 10 years pt and now a part time/ full time driver lol

Not down for doing a route blind unless I know the area

SMH!!!

This is what we're dealing with
Sad sad situation

trickpony1

I'm not down for doing a route blind unless I know the area.

.....OR you could show some initiative and ask your boss if you could get the printout for someone's area and would it be okay to "shadow" (in your personal vehicle) that driver for a day in an attempt to learn the area.

Are you gonna get paid? Nope....but it gets the attention of the boss.

The PC driver probably may not enjoy you following him.

Indecisi0n

I've just qualified in April. Did the train route for a month and was scratching at the end as I learned the area. New route last week was a struggle had to get help everyday. Now the driver l was covering comes back. So I only ly know two routes. Alot of new drivers coming on and not.enough sups to train them. So I guess I won't be working too much from now untill they train me on others. I'm not down for doing a route blind unless I know the area. 10 years pt and now a part time/ full time driver lol
If you made book you work 40 hours minimal. Any less than that is on you for not taking your 8 hour guarantee.

UrFellowUpser

I do any route in the blind idgaf but when i convince a driver to let me take their route i then confirm it with my sup and he always be like no the dispatch isnt right. I dont know because im in country but in metro theres seems to be enough work to go around.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
.....OR you could show some initiative and ask your boss if you could get the printout for someone's area and would it be okay to "shadow" (in your personal vehicle) that driver for a day in an attempt to learn the area.

Are you gonna get paid? Nope....but it gets the attention of the boss.

The PC driver probably may not enjoy you following him.
Or ask for a tablet so you at least have a reference if you're confused.

Rack em

Made the Podium
What's so hard about going out blind? You have an excuse to be over allowed and they can't do a damn thing about it. I will go on new routes everyday.

Notcool

Im not down for it but I will do it. Have to pay rent and provide for my family. I worry about going out blind and missing buisness or airs or being way over allowed and having to get help because I don't know any of it. I like to be prepared. Maybe if I was top pay I'd feel better about going out blind. It's hard enough to do a route when you know every street.

trickpony1

I worry about going out blind and missing buisness or airs or being way over allowed and having to get help because I don't know any of it

You're worrying about something that doesn't need worried about.

The company knows coverage drivers go out "blind". The time constraints and "overallowed" are more relaxed. Why do you think some drivers like being "coverage"?

Simply CYA. Your DIAD spells out time commits and businesses. Get those first then worry about the other (non-priority) stuff.

You're putting more pressure on yourself then the company could ever think of (and the company loves it).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Did some sat air today. I've been across so many county lines today. Sat air is kind of intense. You have to make sure you run it right or you will find yourself back tracking and then that will cost you alot of time
Saturday air is about as laid back and simple as any job at ups gets.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Lol its not that bad i did a route blind in another center and took 140 stops off a driver who had 244 total
And I'm fairly confident you both got paid. I loved going out on the blind. Eventually you learn your way around, if not either way you get paid. Be safe and make Lemonade!

Foamer Pyle

The first year or so is petty much like that. Don't be defeated though. think about the end goal. Don't focus so much on the present.
Yes, don't focus on the present, because soon enough you will be working 13 hours a day, and will not see your family during the week.

AlliSeeisBrown

Every center is different. That's the thing. Upstate Dave works in the Bog where it's pixie dust and rainbows everyday. Punched out at 6pm every night and the hourlies and management all sing Kumbaya every morning instead of having a PCM.

I'm still amazed at some of the things I read on here how different things can be from local to local, center to center. I read on here last week, something about the bottom 10% FT drivers, in a certain local have no guarantee of working. That's crazy.
What's crazy is that we're one of three centers in the hub and the other 2 are so organized that the latest driver gets back at 7:30. Our center will have 10-12 drivers still out at 9:45-10:00. Every night. Not even peak.