Notice an increase in On-Call Pickups?

thom1842

Lately I have been getting a ton of ODS orders sent to me. As a PT air driver its nothing out of the ordinary to have 4-7 ODS orders in one 4 hour route, but lately I have been arriving at the office/business/residence and the package is ground. Nothing gets me as pissed as getting behind on my route to get to some business in the boonies only to get there for a damn ground package.

WyoBrown

I don't care if it's an ars I still sheet it under the on-call p/u. If I have to make a special trip for an on call it gets sheeted under the on call.
Does sheeting a pkg as on-call give you more time allowance? What is the benefit of sheeting a pkg as an on-call pu?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Does sheeting a pkg as on-call give you more time allowance? What is the benefit of sheeting a pkg as an on-call pu?
I don't know if it gives a better time allowance. What it does do is give me credit for an extra stop that I may/may not have had to go out of my way for. If the customer wants to call in for a special p/u then I will show that I made that p/u.

I had an ods p/u yesterday. Surprise surprise it was an ars. Have you noticed that the majority of ods/ars p/u are elderly people. All they do is stay home and order LL Bean, QVC, HSN etc etc etc and when the don't get the right size or right color they call in for someone to come and pick it up. I would bet that the majority of the service charges are waived because they are elderly and won't/can't get out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had an ods p/u yesterday. Surprise surprise it was an ars. Have you noticed that the majority of ods/ars p/u are elderly people. All they do is stay home and order LL Bean, QVC, HSN etc etc etc and when the don't get the right size or right color they call in for someone to come and pick it up. I would bet that the majority of the service charges are waived because they are elderly and won't/can't get out.
There is no way to bypass the $10 per pickup charge when scheduling a Ground or 3DS ARS/RS pickup. Either the ARS 1Z owner pays the charge (which could be incented) or the requestor pays the full pickup charge.

Does not lessen the frustration of having to break trace but at least there is a charge for the service.

upsdude

There is no way to bypass the $10 per pickup charge when scheduling a Ground or 3DS ARS/RS pickup. Either the ARS 1Z owner pays the charge (which could be incented) or the requestor pays the full pickup charge.

If a company already has a daily pickup, they do not pay a "pickup fee" for OCA's at other locations. A BD person told me that a couple years ago.

Big Babooba

Lately I have been getting a ton of ODS orders sent to me. As a PT air driver its nothing out of the ordinary to have 4-7 ODS orders in one 4 hour route, but lately I have been arriving at the office/business/residence and the package is ground. Nothing gets me as pissed as getting behind on my route to get to some business in the boonies only to get there for a damn ground package.
That "damn" ground package helps to pay your wages.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Originally Posted by Hoaxster
If a company already has a daily pickup, they do not pay a "pickup fee" for OCA's at other locations. A BD person told me that a couple years ago.
Not always true when talking about prepaid packages (what you and the BD person were talking about) but never true when referring to Return Service/ ARS packages (which I clearly was referring to). Someone has to pay for the pickup charge on ARS packages or the pickup will not go through...period.

browniehound

thom1842, arriving at an OCA to find a "damn ground package" should make your day, my friend. Picking up that "damn ground" entitles you contractually to recieve full package driver rate for your entire shift.

I'm guessing nobody told you about this? Instead of making $15/hour as a PT air driver, you would recieve $28.53 for your entire shift just because you picked up that "damn ground".

You should be seeking out the ground parcels instead of avoiding them. Unless, of course you enjoy being under-paid:happy2:.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
thom1842, arriving at an OCA to find a "damn ground package" should make your day, my friend. Picking up that "damn ground" entitles you contractually to recieve full package driver rate for your entire shift.

I'm guessing nobody told you about this? Instead of making $15/hour as a PT air driver, you would recieve $28.53 for your entire shift just because you picked up that "damn ground".

You should be seeking out the ground parcels instead of avoiding them. Unless, of course you enjoy being under-paid:happy2:.
I don't think so Brownie. I think I heard from someone that when this new deal with the ars's and drop boxes went into effect that air drivers don't get top driver pay for ground. I realise that ods p/u and drop boxes are two different things but I bet that it is going to be the same out come.

BigBrownSanta

Does not lessen the frustration of having to break trace but at least there is a charge for the service.

Is that true even if the stop is completed as non pickup, already PU?

DS

Fenderbender
Implemented on July 23, 2008 in the US.
August 18, 2008 - UPS announced significant enhancements to its UPS On-Call Pickupsm service in the United States for air packages, providing customers even more options for today’s urgent business demands.
Wow,you guys may be way ahead in some ways,but we've had oncalls(ODS) for over 10 years here.
With us its a big city and we all have our own route.When I first started,without oncalls,I was doing about 120 del and say 20 p/u, now my min/max is 62-68 del.15 p/u and I get anywhere from 10-30 oncalls every day.
Tooner I'm in Toronto,the call center is in Moncton New Brunswick,which is about 2000 miles away,they NEVER update thier info,and you have to learn that the override key is your best friend.
If you get to a p/u and it's not ready,you say,sorry,cant wait,heres a waybill and tr labels,call in when its READY.
If the commit time is early,kick it out and type cant get back there till 6PM...theyll either change it or send someone else.
I love the ARS/ASD oncalls,in and out.
The worst part is the cutoff time in my area for oncalls is 6:30 PM,and a lot of customers know this.Its a pissoff on a Friday night at 6:28 and some bastard wants to send 18 -40 lb boxes with us because he's moving and it wouldn't fit in the moving van.
The only saviour for ODS is area knowledge,if theres a problem,pick up the phone and make it your sup's instead of yours.
Kick it out with an explanation,sometimes its just silly,I get oncalls for Vancouver,?for 675 pkgs,places that moved,you name it.
Welcome to my world.

browniehound

I don't think so Brownie. I think I heard from someone that when this new deal with the ars's and drop boxes went into effect that air drivers don't get top driver pay for ground. I realise that ods p/u and drop boxes are two different things but I bet that it is going to be the same out come.
dilli,
I could be wrong (I probably am:happy2:), but i wasn't talking about ARS's and letter boxes. I was talking about ODS pick-ups in which the customer is shipping a ground package and no prior pick-up was made by the full-time driver. Under this scenario I believe the PT air driver is entitled to ground rate.

Obviously he has to press the issue or grieve it because its highly unlikely the center will spill the beans on his contractual rights!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Brownie, under the old contract I would agree with you. Hell, I still agree with you. I know you weren't talking about letter boxes but i was talking air drivers in general. It seems to me I heard somewhere that air drivers picking-up letter boxes don't get paid top driver pay if there is a ground ars. I was just musing that this, if true, might apply to ods p/u's as well. This is purely conjecture, I don't know if it is true. I just remembering hearing somewhere about the letter box thing not to long after the company started allowing ars gnd drops at letter boxes.

Regardless of what I have heard, absolutely the air driver should push the issue and greive it.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dang DS, depending on the rte that I am on I might see 1/2 ods p/u's a week. If it's a heavy business rte, maybe 1/2 a day 3/4 days a week. I would go crazy with 10-30 on calls a day. Yeesh

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is that true even if the stop is completed as non pickup, already PU?

Completeing the stop this way only affects On Call Air packages. If you do not scan Air packages as a pickup (with 1Z or as an ASD), then the On-Call Air rates (applied rate plus $5) do not kick in.

All other pickup charges for packages with 1Z or PRN are initiated at the time of entering them into UPS.com (whether directly by the customer or through calling 1-800-PICK-UPS). These are fed in to the billing system where the pickup charge is billed with the week's billing in which an origin scan occurs (or other scans, if the origin scan is missed). If a scan does not occur then the pickup charge is billed after 30 days.

If a GSD or 3SD is is completed then a $5 Document Processing charge is automatically applied when the GSD/3SD is keyed into the RODE system (or FCB (Flexible Core Billing) outside the US) which feeds to billing. This $5 Document Processing charge is applied rather than a pickup charge.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
With us its a big city and we all have our own route.When I first started,without oncalls,I was doing about 120 del and say 20 p/u, now my min/max is 62-68 del.15 p/u and I get anywhere from 10-30 oncalls every day.
Welcome to my world.

Canada has a very low number of Daily Pickup accounts compared to the US. A regular customer in Canada may not have a daily pickup but rather, will call when they have packages to be picked up. This may occur for the same customer location 2 or 3 times a week. Canada, and the rest of the world for that matter, have a different business model where Daily Pickups represent a smaller percentage of the total pickups per day per driver.

That sound right, DS?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Originally Posted by PASinterference
We went to handwritten ASDs on ALL of our 1 time pickups.We used to get printed labels like call tags.Now we get a message to pickup in diad and have to fill out ASD for customer.

I have lost about three one-shot customers because of this policy doing away with one time pickups. Some people do not like to print labels online or even use a computer at all.

This was identified as a risk and additional cost when the proposal was presented.
There is always some customer churn when a significant change occurs. The belief (and hope) is that these customers will come back to us.

And a driver taking a stack of ASDs and SDPs ground labels out to fill out by hand are time killers too.
Estimated cost savings was in elimination of a redundant system was >$3 Million/ year and additional driver cost was estimated at $600 thousand per year. Drivers are "suppose" to carry GSD/SDP, 3SD, ASD and Waybills with them as a matter of course effective January 08.

I had one lady who used us for years get threatened by the UPS Collections because the fuel surcharges were left off the quote when she called the pickup in. And her son is a UPS Freight sales guy! She is so mad, she will never use us again.
The system used to provide quotes when the customer calls in is "Calculate Time and Cost" on UPS.com. Any quotes already include the Fuel Surcharge.
UPS Collections would most likely be calling in to try and collect funds for post-mainifest incurred charges (such as wrong weight, DIM wt, Address Correction charges, etc.) This would occur only if the payment method was check or money order. If payment method was UPS account number or Credit Card, these post-manifest charges would simply appear in the charge on the customer invoice or on their credit card bill.

PS. - Don't you hate when you wake up at 2:30 in the morning and can't get back to sleep?

BigBrownSanta

Completeing the stop this way only affects On Call Air packages. If you do not scan Air packages as a pickup (with 1Z or as an ASD), then the On-Call Air rates (applied rate plus $5) do not kick in.

All other pickup charges for packages with 1Z or PRN are initiated at the time of entering them into UPS.com (whether directly by the customer or through calling 1-800-PICK-UPS). These are fed in to the billing system where the pickup charge is billed with the week's billing in which an origin scan occurs (or other scans, if the origin scan is missed). If a scan does not occur then the pickup charge is billed after 30 days.

If a GSD or 3SD is is completed then a $5 Document Processing charge is automatically applied when the GSD/3SD is keyed into the RODE system (or FCB (Flexible Core Billing) outside the US) which feeds to billing. This $5 Document Processing charge is applied rather than a pickup charge.

So, if I scan an ARS package under special counts, and then complete the OCA as non pickup - already PU, there will still be a charge for the pickup but it just won't be billed for 30 days?