Notice an increase in On-Call Pickups?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So, if I scan an ARS package under special counts, and then complete the OCA as non pickup - already PU, there will still be a charge for the pickup but it just won't be billed for 30 days?

Hopefully it will be billed in the current week billing cycle. The first scan of the package during inside UPS operations will initiate the billing event. If there is no inside UPS operations scan then it will be billed after 30 days.

BigBrownSanta

Hopefully it will be billed in the current week billing cycle. The first scan of the package during inside UPS operations will initiate the billing event. If there is no inside UPS operations scan then it will be billed after 30 days.

I guess what I am asking is since the OC Pickup has been completed but does not reflect a package being picked up, will the person who calls for the pickup still get billed for the pickup?
I understand that the movement of the ARS package through our system and the delivery will be billed to the company who issued the ARS label.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess what I am asking is since the OC Pickup has been completed but does not reflect a package being picked up, will the person who calls for the pickup still get billed for the pickup?
Gotcha now.
Yes, the charge still goes through even though the packages picked up is "0".
Reason is that you attempted (Gas & Time) and completed the pickup.

If another driver completed the pickup and then you complete it with "0", the customer will only be charged once.

Note that the transportation charges and pickup charges flow through two different billing feeds and are "united" on the customer invoice based on 1Z.

M

Mthbstr

Heard that UPS Store owners are suing UPS because we make it too easy for our customers not to come into our stores. UPS Stores say their biggest competitor is UPS.

browniehound

Brownie, under the old contract I would agree with you. Hell, I still agree with you. I know you weren't talking about letter boxes but i was talking air drivers in general. It seems to me I heard somewhere that air drivers picking-up letter boxes don't get paid top driver pay if there is a ground ars. I was just musing that this, if true, might apply to ods p/u's as well. This is purely conjecture, I don't know if it is true. I just remembering hearing somewhere about the letter box thing not to long after the company started allowing ars gnd drops at letter boxes.

Regardless of what I have heard, absolutely the air driver should push the issue and greive it.

Dilli, I see your point now. I saw it the second time but still posted about the ODS to make sure we are on the same page. Like you stated so eloquently: "pure conjecture" here! Its always nice to argue a point if we can find the correct answer in the end!

To be clear, when I was an PT air-driver, grounds and standard interationals were not allowed in the letter boxes. Today they are permitted, so I have to believe you are 100% corrrect on the air driver picking up the "same day ground" and not recieving top-rate.

Still, something doesn't jive with me. Does anyone here know for sure about the ODS ground pick-up? My gut tells me if your pick up a ground (outside of the letter-box) , you should be entitled to ground rate? No?

I at least think it should be grieved. I don't know the contract verbatum, and I'm not a contract lawyer, but I think its clear as day that if you touch a ground, you are to be paid ground rate. Ask the steward because you could recieve $10 more/hour that you deserve!

"Dilli", I'm just trying to argue the point to find someone who knows for sure what they are writting:happy2:! I'm looking for pure conjecture, just like you. Can someone else please chime in here?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I understand Brownie and if I was an air driver in this situation I would be filing on it until I got an answer.

I would also hope that air drivers in this situation would pick up the pkg first and then worry about the grievance later. The customer does not know or really care whether the driver picking up the pkg is being paid the appropriate wage to P/U his pkg--he is simply trying to get his pkg from Point A to Point B.

BigBrownSanta

Gotcha now.
Yes, the charge still goes through even though the packages picked up is "0".
Reason is that you attempted (Gas & Time) and completed the pickup.

If another driver completed the pickup and then you complete it with "0", the customer will only be charged once.

Note that the transportation charges and pickup charges flow through two different billing feeds and are "united" on the customer invoice based on 1Z.

Thanks Hoaxter, that clears it up for me.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
To be clear, when I was an PT air-driver, grounds and standard interationals were not allowed in the letter boxes. Today they are permitted, so I have to believe you are 100% corrrect on the air driver picking up the "same day ground" and not recieving top-rate.

Still, something doesn't jive with me. Does anyone here know for sure about the ODS ground pick-up? My gut tells me if your pick up a ground (outside of the letter-box) , you should be entitled to ground rate? No?

I at least think it should be grieved. I don't know the contract verbatum, and I'm not a contract lawyer, but I think its clear as day that if you touch a ground, you are to be paid ground rate. Ask the steward because you could recieve $10 more/hour that you deserve!

"Dilli", I'm just trying to argue the point to find someone who knows for sure what they are writting:happy2:! I'm looking for pure conjecture, just like you. Can someone else please chime in here?

I'm a full time Combo P.M. Air driver and this is how it works for me.

I don't get ground rate for ground that is P/U from drop boxes (last I heard this was a 6 month trial agreed upon by the union and UPS).

If I get an ODS order for GND, I override it and send it back to the OMS with the reason "GND". If he sends it back to me, I P/U and request GND pay for the day.

If I get sent to a P/U stop and it turns out to be GND, I pick it up.
If I feel I was sent because the center is trying to cut drivers, hours, numbers, etc. I request GND pay.
If it was the customers fault, driver is sick, accident, etc. I don't request GND pay.

If UPS is going to offer ODS GND P/U's for customers as late as 6:30 in an area, then they should make sure they have GND drivers out that late to do the P/U.

Air drivers do not get GND pay for ARS packages.

Anytime I have requested GND pay for picking up GND, I've recieved it.

Dizzee

browniehound

I would also hope that air drivers in this situation would pick up the pkg first and then worry about the grievance later. The customer does not know or really care whether the driver picking up the pkg is being paid the appropriate wage to P/U his pkg--he is simply trying to get his pkg from Point A to Point B.

Bingo Upstate!
We always service the customer first and worry about the pay later. This is what the union is for. Do you have confidence in your union that you will recieve the proper pay for your efforts? I have full confidence in my local (25) that if I do what management says when it violates the contract that I will be compensated in the future through the grievence process.

Do you have confidence in your local's leaders?

We have been told countless times by the union: work as directed and grieve it later. This is sound advice in my opinion.

browniehound

I'm a full time Combo P.M. Air driver and this is how it works for me.

I don't get ground rate for ground that is P/U from drop boxes (last I heard this was a 6 month trial agreed upon by the union and UPS).

If I get an ODS order for GND, I override it and send it back to the OMS with the reason "GND". If he sends it back to me, I P/U and request GND pay for the day.

If I get sent to a P/U stop and it turns out to be GND, I pick it up.
If I feel I was sent because the center is trying to cut drivers, hours, numbers, etc. I request GND pay.
If it was the customers fault, driver is sick, accident, etc. I don't request GND pay.

If UPS is going to offer ODS GND P/U's for customers as late as 6:30 in an area, then they should make sure they have GND drivers out that late to do the P/U.

Air drivers do not get GND pay for ARS packages.

Anytime I have requested GND pay for picking up GND, I've recieved it.

Dizzee

Thanks Dizzee for the clarification. I figured that was the case but its nice to hear it first hand from somebody currently in the job.