* Nov 24: National Opt Out Day!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Its all about power over the people.
The gov't now decides who can fly.
Just like they decided who were the people to place on watch lists, not the actual people who plan on doing harm, but our own citizens.

Kids, nuns and little old ladies have never attempted to hijack any planes , so why are they targeted for extra security.
This stupidity has to stop.

wkmac

I think I'd opt out anyhow. Having so much radiation shot at you that it allows you to be seen naked can't be good for your health.

I think this is the main objections from the various airline unions, etc. as these employees would go through so many over a span of time and it's possible more than one in a single day. Not to mention in the case of the flight crew itself, especially the pilot, the stupidity to scan such people when they are in control of the aircraft once in the air anyway.

Janet Napolitano was quoted in an earlier Huffington Post piece as having said:
"It's all about security, It's all about everybody recognizing their role."

It's nothing more than "security theater" and all it ever will be IMO. On Nightline last night, they showed an ABC poll that said 80% of the public are OK with the current security measures and that only 15% are vocally against. I can see where this is likely true because as I understood the poll, it was a public (not flying public) poll and how many in the general public have flown since these measures went into effect? But even a poll of the flying public I think would still show a majority of them OK with the measures as even some who have been through the process say they don't like it but accept it as a cost of making absolute sure the people flying are safe. They showed some of those people on Nightline last night. I think this attitude is typical to some degree until this person's own Ox is gored and then it all changes.

Also, one should take into account that the underwear bomber as well as the infamous shoe bomber both boarded their flights outside the US so how would the current measures have stopped them? And let's not even consider the fact that now it's been 10 months since this "actual" threat took place so why so long to step up security measures. Had they immediately gone to the hand search and then later added the scanners as a means to expedite the process, my ears wouldn't be up as much!

I've said before and I'll say it again, you first have to"follow the money" as a starting point to understand sometimes why things are as they are, especially when common sense applied leaves one without any obvious good answers.

wkmac

Its all about power over the people.
The gov't now decides who can fly.
Just like they decided who were the people to place on watch lists, not the actual people who plan on doing harm, but our own citizens.

Kids, nuns and little old ladies have never attempted to hijack any planes , so why are they targeted for extra security.
This stupidity has to stop.

How long before the threat is transferred down to trains, buses, other means of public transportation and then how long before the threat is transferred to the private automobile or any other means of conveyance? America for so long mocked Nazi Germany and the iron curtain of the communist realm with their over the top attitude of the security state. "Let me seez you'r paapeurs" become a running comedy line for free Americans yet now where do we find ourselves? And the worse part is how many people clamour for it, being the "chicken little" that they are?

The eagle has been killed (died very long ago) and replaced by the cowardly chicken and thus the last line in the national anthem makes the self serving American a laughing stock and a known hollow shell of falsehood!

wkmac

Good find Tooner! Thanks.

Apologize for what? That great minds think alike!
Just proves you're up on the wheel and looking and that's awesome!

wkmac

Beyond Security Theater

Security is both a feeling and a reality. The propensity for security theater comes from the interplay between the public and its leaders. When people are scared, they need something done that will make them feel safe, even if it doesn't truly make them safer. Politicians naturally want to do something in response to crisis, even if that something doesn't make any sense.

moreluck

golden ticket member
wkmac......my weary eyes with the 3.25 magnifiers cant quite make out your new avatar. I keep seeing a mastadon. What is it ??

wkmac

wkmac......my weary eyes with the 3.25 magnifiers cant quite make out your new avatar. I keep seeing a mastadon. What is it ??

It's a pic of the celtic god Cernunnos who in celtic lore is a god of fertility. However in Wiccan lore, the horned god is a god of the underworld and Cernunnos comes from that same tradition. Little is actually known of Cernunnos as the name and even image has only been found 1 time on a stone relief dating to the 1st century AD called Pillar of the Boatmen.

A couple of reasons I choose the pic as for one I just like the faceless except for eyes image on the stark green background and it fits nicely into the darker mythologies of northern european lore. Secondly, the Cernunnos figure also seques into the Christmas story as in certain parts of Europe he was an assistant to Father Christmas. A helper if you will. Being horned and helper, this may represent an earlier tradition that we today use to explain Santa's reindeer. Cernunnos was also known when he accompanied Father Christmas to also wear bells. Horns, bells, interesting comparison. The germanic traditon of Knecht Ruprecht and his following gagel of tomtin are one such example and some think possible the tomtin is based on this Cernunnos or horned god mythology. Nothing is certain as so much historical records of pre-roman ways no longer exist. At best it's very speculative and requires backtracing of tradtion (an earlier oral kind that could be froth with error) but you just have to draw on the imagery and pull the pieces together as best you can.

So much of pre-Roman. pre-Christian European mythology was destroyed by both Roman conquests (Roman Democratization if you will) and of course the Christian Church of Byzantium that followed but it's also surprising how much was absorbed and "christianized" in order to pacify local populations. As the horned god of the underworld, this may also explain some of the Satanic imagery of later times that show a horned character associated with the underworld and in some case a half goat man when no such imagery existed at least in Hebrew or Aramaic sources. It wasn't until the greek era and influence, before the time of christ and waning as Rome became more powerful, that this imagery took hold not only with suggestions in greek influenced gospels and writting but also in imagery in may books later excluded from canon and even outright banned by the church. The closest these middle eastern peoples may have come to such imagery as the Europeans had is via the greeks and their god Pan. One has to ask did Pan and European models like Cernunnos have similar roots to one another just as our Christmas traditions may link us more back to Europe than the goings on in Judea and Galilee in 1 AD?

Again other than a dreaded image on such a life giving background and a bit of a Christmas mocking in my own way, I just found the artwork imagery interesting and a bit of playful fun too. Besides, the artist or controlling website finally lowered it's control so that the image is saveable and it's the only reason I've not used it already!

Here's the full image for close inspection if you like. Make for a good Hobbit character. :happy-very:

cernunnos_tekening.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
A long time ago I remember hearing that "if you want to be rich, just watch the rich people and do what they do."

Well, if we want to be safe, look at El Al and do what they do.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A long time ago I remember hearing that "if you want to be rich, just watch the rich people and do what they do."

Well, if we want to be safe, look at El Al and do what they do.
El Al is generally regarded as the benchmark for airline security and they don't use full body scanners. I'm not sure how practical their methodology would be for the US though because they are pretty time consuming.