Oakland Hub to be picketed?

U

upsurge

I've been told that the Oakland union officials are so tired of us stealing time by supervisors doing bargaining unit work that they are soon to informational picket the Oakland Hub. Picket signs will read Not a strike .. workers keep working and have such slogans as UPS stop stealing from your workers etc. So far repeated grievances for our flagrant disregard for the contract has not even slowed down our dishonesty. Grievances have included demands that the offending supervisors be fired for theft of time etc. I'm told that the union now plans to ask for punitive damages and deadlock the grievances to arbitration seeking same. I say screw em ..weve always had no respect for the union , the contract nor our employees and that contributes to our success.Profits , productivity7 and power always before honesty , integrity and basic human decency ...that keeps my stock profitable...

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Sounds like that place has an attendance problem and the sups have no other choice but to work. I don't see how anyone can file a grievence for a sup doing a job when they weren't even at work that day or didn't answer their phone when called to drive. I've seen that happen enough to where saturday air drivers are called up but after that, and ONLY after that, is when our sups ever drive here. We had a guy file a grievence many times within a month because the sups had driven or let an air driver with less seniority drive over him but the problem was that he neve answered his phone. I don't blame sups for driving or whatever else needs to be done when their employees don't show up for work or answer the phone. It's when they send people home and take their place that I have a problem with. But that would be that person's fault for actually going home instead of working.</font>

L

local804

"I say screw em ..weve always had no respect for the union , the contract nor our employees and that contributes to our success". WOW, thats some pretty strong words you have there UPSURGE .It seems like you really care about your employees.A supervisors job is to SUPERVISE their employees.Out of our 4 suits, none of them work, why should they??????They are good supervisors and dont have to do union work (as per contract signed by UPS and the Teamsters).They do a good enough job as their title states and do not need to work. After all, thats why they hired us.If they still wanted to get their hands dirty, they would have stayed in package.It looks like California is going to have a big problem on their hands.

T

toonertoo

When salary positions have to do hourly work because of excessive call offs, etc., the salary people need to have their hours put into the centers paid day. When they are not reported it looks like 40 (example) drivers are doing the work of 42=more OT not desired, because it looks like 40 did it. JMHO but when they are not being reported then something isnt right, but since it is getting harder all the time to see the reports, it is hard to say who is being honest or dishonest.

U

ups_vette

local 804:
You don't actually believe UPSURGE do you? He / She is just a troll trying to get a responce...and did.
I'm sure supervisors love to send drivers home, or not call in repacements, just so they can do the work....NOT.
It appears to me you work in a typical UPS Center, where supervisors supervise.

A

antimatter

ups_vette,
I agree with you. Upsurge went WAY out of his/her way to lead us to believe that post was from a manager.

A

L

local804

Vette,
To be honest with you, it wouldnt surprise me because alot of people do think the way he does.They might not be as forward as him, but they do think it.He probably is just another Jack@$$ looking to start some beef.To comment on your post Tooner, when they do what your talking about, they call it not dropping your card.It make the supervisors group look like drivers on steroids. They also call it fudging the numbers and they do get caught. I am sure that we all know of some who got caught doing this and they do NOT work at UPS anymore. Its a real shame that it happens, but when they go for their review, they do get a bonus for their performance of their group.We should not play with the numbers and they shoud not either.
PS Hey Surge,
What is the opposite of above me??????
raspberry.gif

P

proups

Supervisors become supervisors because they don't want to do the hourly work. I've never met a supervisor that would rather be delivering than supervising!

T

toonertoo

I think supervisors become supervisors because they want to further their career. I dont think most think they will get promoted to fill 2 job vacancies, one hourly, one management. they like to get out on a ride, but I think some are being forced into doing more than their fair share, and not their fault. They also have to work as directed, or else. JMHO

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Why people become supervisors varies from each individual person to person. I've worked at two UPSs and a Fed Ex and I've asked many why they did and and have heard many different reasons. Some wanted more responsibilty. Some wanted more $$$. Some did it because in some locations supervision is a shortcut to driving. Some did it for more than one or all of the reasons I've stated so far and for others I didn't mention. I've noticed that out of all the supervisors that end up working (even though they aren't supposed to) that the majority of those did so simply because the work has to be done in cases of low manning and cut times for loads and other things like that were the main reasons why. I can't deny that I've seen sups work just to "make their numbers look better" though. I have frieds that are p/t sups and friend/t sups and they all say the most frustrating thing is when hourly emmployees don't show up for work and it's almost impossible to run an area and shift well enough to meet those cut times so they just go ahead and work anyway. It's almost a no win situation. Damned if they work and damned if they don't work. </font>

T

toonertoo

I agree, I agree, but I think part of the problem with supervisors working, and I know they have to do whatever is needed to run the company is that if their hours do not get counted, it is a viscious cycle because next year at this time there will be volume estimates, estimating fewer drivers needed, and they will have to work again.
As for the call-offs, they need to follow their own rules and start following disciplinary procedures on these employees. It is very frustrating when you need a day for the doc or dentist, and you cant have it because one of the frequent call off persons is calling off again....

U

upsurge

It sounds nice to think that absenteeism is the problem in Oakland and elsewhere. But we all know that we twist and distort the facts to suit us. It is most likely a management failure to have enough coverage for expected absences rather than a real emergency. I call it like it is because I think ups is a great company but a little extreme and could use some perestroika or openess for a chaNGE. T HAT WILL GIVE US SOME CREDIBILITY!

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">It's hard to cover for absenteeism when our supervisors don't find out that people are missing until the shift starts and people refuse to come in off another shift to help. They ignore phone calls yet come in the next day and complain about not getting to cover. Coverage sheets are rarely signed and those that sign them usually refuse. This whole coverage setup would work but, unfortunately for those of us that show up for work, signatures on the coverage sheets don't mean anything unless the people that sign them actually come through.</font>

L

local804

Local 480.....You say its hard for the suits to cover when the shifts start? There are 230,000 union employees that work at UPS and I am sure one of them are willing to make some money.I am sure that the guy that started this string wasnt talking about the rare instant when the suit has to work. If there is a comp load or sick load, by all means let the suit pull the route.As long as the customer gets the package thats all that matters.There are lots of areas that the supervisors take advantage of the system and work to the numbers game.Why dont you guys take a look article 4 in the contract and read what it says.<u>Supervisors will not preform bargaining unit work until after all reasonable efforts have been exhausted to have the work covered.</u>Let the supervisors do their work and let us do ours. You dont see the supervisors asking you to cover for them when one of their own is out now do you?

P

proups

480: I think you have been right on the money with your posts about why Sups work. Don't listen to local804 - he must live in the perfect world where every person comes to work every day.

By the way, the Sups do use DIAD boards so their time is counted. The reports do show an additional driver. If not, call Security!

O

oakland

They don't use DIADs all the time in our building. They deliver the package to a stop and ODS the driver to go by and scan the package for delivery. They also DR packages, write down the tracking numbers and enter the stops into the system in the evening with no record of a car on road. Integrety, what a bunch of crap. It goes on daily at this hub.

L

local804

No Props,
I do not live in the perfect world at UPS in NY.Its just our guys follow the contract which is the same one you voted on.You either bide by the book or you dont. Here in NY we have no choice but to abide by it.Clear cut and dry.

U

upslocal480

<font color="0000ff">Going by the book means nothing if people call out and there is no "barginning unit employees" that are willing to fill in from other shifts. Yeah those big hubs have plenty of peeople begging to double shift but the rest of us smaller buildings have to make do most of the time and that means sups working in order for cut times to be met. That's the sad truth in a nut shell...contract or no...it happens.</font>

L

local804

I guess you have a point for the smaller hubs. My building has a total around 1800 people including feeder, pt,ft,suits and all. Last year,had a sup that would do some work and add it to an hourly`s time preformed. Lets just say he dont work at UPS anymore and was allowed to resign. That is another reason why(even managers) do not want their guys pulling work.You never told me where your depo was proups??????

P

proups

804: the location of my building doesn't really matter. My point to you with my "perfect world" comment was that you seemed to slam upslocal480 for his comments about people not coming to work.

It seems we all agree that people should be at work, and we should understand that the Sups have many other things to do than be out delivering - like ride with overallowed drivers that cause other drivers extra work.

I have also observed Sups that deliver and add it to a drivers DIAD allowed to "resign." That is the right thing for UPS to do!