OBrien Sends a Clear Message!

Thebrownblob

I disagree. The company likes MRAs. Pay the price they need to when they need the people and drop it and watch people quit instead of laying them off or trying to find work for them.

The company had already told us last contract what they want. Any 5 in 7 schedules. SOB is :censored2:ing the supps by having them negotiate first before "removing" 22.4s. How are supps supposed to negotiate language on something like removal of 22.4s when it hasn't even happen yet. Things like bid route language that will need to change. Let's be honest. Sean is only negotiating the supps first so that they don't get in his way later.

PVDs are going no where in my opinion. Like all the arbitration have said. They will just be negotiated into the contract. We'll finally have PVD language is how I see it.
Starting rate for part-timers is going up regardless of the company liking MRAs or not. (And I agree with you they still will have them because we have people making $23 an hour here and I don’t think the starting rate will be the high.) but don’t forget SOB has a lot riding on moving part time wages up not to mention union dues go up when the wage goes up. 19 to 21 an hour is almost a guarantee.

And I agree with you on the supplements. I don’t understand the supplemental negotiating first, unless there’s a directive given of some sort.

The PVD issue is the wildcard I say because while I think there will be some sort of agreement how does Sean come out of this looking like a rose if it’s still there?

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
I will be providing turkey sandwiches on the picket line. I have probably 2 still in the freezer, that I have been saving for this occasion.

Its_a_me

What is he going to give up to get all the stuff he wants? I'm in complete support and i hope the hourlies get EVERYTHING on the list but I dont see UPS saying "Okay,here you go,you guys work hard we want you happy!"
You don't give up anything. Every contract that ends up profitable to the company you should be GETTING something the next contract not trading one thing for another. That's Negotiating 101.

The problem is we've had the good ole' boys network and golf buddies negotiating contracts where they are worried about their fat salaries and cushy jobs more than the members interests for far too long. 2018 Best contract ever <sigh>.

The message is clear. My issue is saying "part-time wages" when you clearly mean starting part time wages which is a no brainer item that the company must improve on its own to hire anyone. Seriously, the starting wages for a union job are comparable to McDonald's. The union doesn't even have to bring this up and waste the negotiation leverage and the company would do so on its own--just like it has for the past year. But if you mean improving existing wages then state so.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You don't give up anything. Every contract that ends up profitable to the company you should be GETTING something the next contract not trading one thing for another. That's Negotiating 101.

The problem is we've had the good ole' boys network and golf buddies negotiating contracts where they are worried about their fat salaries and cushy jobs more than the members interests for far too long. 2018 Best contract ever <sigh>.

The message is clear. My issue is saying "part-time wages" when you clearly mean starting part time wages which is a no brainer item that the company must improve on its own to hire anyone. Seriously, the starting wages for a union job are comparable to McDonald's. The union doesn't even have to bring this up and waste the negotiation leverage and the company would do so on its own--just like it has for the past year. But if you mean improving existing wages then state so.
Due to the steady decline of UPS Master Contracts for the past 40 years i agree in principle with you that this is one to make some great gains for the hourlies.
However, that is NOT how it's going to go. Tome and Management will want some things to show the shareholders that parts of the contract were excellent for the company as the goal is to always keep the stock price as high as possible.

I hope i'm wrong but I dont see UPS giving into all of these demands without getting something significant in return.
I am of the opinion that one thing that will be given to the company is an end to PT benefits in exchange for higher wages.
Employees can stay on their parents insurance until age 26 so Insurance benefits aren't as important to newly hired PT employees in 2023.

I also see some kind of PVD language to tie in with 9.5 language: the company will agree to reduce unwanted OT but will say they need PVD's to do so. again,hope I'm wrong but in that scenario it could be touted as a win/win for both sides

Thebrownblob

Wait till Carol hands Sean a briefcase full of money right before the contract

He’ll be singing a different tune πŸ˜‚
1673388918713.gif

542thruNthru

Instead of starting another thread I thought I'd add to this one.

sketch-1673391897492.jpg

I get we're after MLK day but this again just annoys me about the lack of the IBTs planning. Just like the 9.5 day this wasn't very thought out.

Let's have a rally about low PT pay, 22.4s, excessive over time... On a Monday that usually half the PTers don't work, 22.4s don't work and pretty much the work force is almost half what it is the rest of the week.

I'm sorry it's just poor planning in my mind. I can just hear someone in the IBT...

"Hey let's have a rally! I know let's do it on MLK day."

"That's brilliant! Let's not put any thought into it. Susan send out the fliers please."

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

View attachment 414046
I get we're after MLK day but this again just annoys me about the lack of the IBTs planning. Just like the 9.5 day this wasn't very thought out.

Let's have a rally about low PT pay, 22.4s, excessive over time... On a Monday that usually half the PTers don't work, 22.4s don't work and pretty much the work force is almost half what it is the rest of the week.

I'm sorry it's just poor planning in my mind. I can just hear someone in the IBT...

"That's brilliant! Let's not put any thought into it. Susan send out the fliers please."
So who ever wrote that memo is mad at the company for something our union approved. Why invoke MLK? The rally should be outside the union headquarters.

Thebrownblob

View attachment 414046

Slightly out of touch on that one I think is what they are.