Occupy Wall Street

menotyou

bella amicizia
From what I hear--could be wrong-- Davis and his crowd have the rules of the meeting so constricted, it's very hard to voice anything unless you have a huge block of stock behind you. I hear the meetings only last 30 minutes and there is always someone to second the changes Davis wants.

wkmac

Good point. I've never heard of any activist shareholders but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I guess I should phrase it as a question. Has anyone been vocal at a shareholder meeting?

Fair enough but I understand your point of frustration as it was equally fair as well.

wkmac

To Occupy Wall Street:
Wall Street couldn’t have done it alone. It takes a government and/or its central bank, the Federal Reserve System, to:

• Create barriers to entry for the purpose of sheltering existing banks from competition and radical innovation, then “regulate” for the benefit of the privileged industry;
  • Issue artificially cheap, economy-distorting credit in order to, among other things, give banks incentives to make shaky but profitable mortgage loans (and also to grease the war machine through deficit spending);
  • Make it lucrative for banks – and their bonus-collecting executives — to bundle thousands of shaky mortgages into securities and other derivatives with the knowledge that government-sponsored enterprises Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and other companies, all subject to powerful congressmen looking for campaign contributions, will buy them after a government-licensed rating cartel scores them AAA;
  • Inflate an unsustainable housing bubble by the foregoing and other methods, enticing people to foolishly overinvest in real estate.
  • Work closely with lending companies to establish a variety of programs designed to lure people with few resources or bad credit into buying houses they can’t afford;
  • Attract workers to the home-construction bubble, setting them up for long-term unemployment when the bubble inevitably burst;
  • Implicitly guarantee big financial companies and/or their creditors that if they get into trouble they will be rescued;
  • Compel the taxpayers to bail out those companies and/or creditors when the roof finally falls in.
No bank or group of banks could do these things on its own in a freed market. It takes a government-Wall Street partnership – the corporate state — to create such misery and exploitation.
So demonstrators, you are right. Something is dreadfully wrong. But your list of culprits is far from complete. So go ahead and protest outside Goldman Sachs and Bank of America. But also spend some time outside the White House, the Fed, the Treasury, and the Capitol Building. Together they are responsible for our current economic woes. These are the entities that control our fate and over which we have no real say. It’s time for things to change.
Greed without political power is boorish. Greed with political power is dangerous.
The freed market is the alternative to what you properly despise.

Wall Street Couldn't Have Done It Alone!

1timepu

I am a Teamster Feeder Driver and I belong to the Tea Party!!!. I made my decisions my self no influence from rich people or Business people or Wall St people everybody on here is responsible for their own lives and how they went about, that goes for those idiots protesting on Wall St. If you wanted to be a Trader on Wall st you could have, If you wanted to be a Businessman or woman you could have! If you wanted to make a ton of money you could have. I don't remember when thing's changed in this country when people are not responsible for their OWN ACTIONS or LACK OF.

1timepu

As far as this mess we are in blame the Democrats for changing the rules for getting a mortgage, that lead to the housing crisis. (Barney Frank) As for the BOA mess blame Dodd get your fact's people, to much regulation, to much spending, taxes are to high, intrusion into our lives,Socialized Medicine, did you see the government is going to tell private companies how to run their health care!! Vote for Herman Cain

moreluck

golden ticket member
As far as this mess we are in blame the Democrats for changing the rules for getting a mortgage, that lead to the housing crisis. (Barney Frank) As for the BOA mess blame Dodd get your fact's people, to much regulation, to much spending, taxes are to high, intrusion into our lives,Socialized Medicine, did you see the government is going to tell private companies how to run their health care!! Vote for Herman Cain
About the mortgage thing.....rule or not, we saved so we would have 20% down for our first house. That's just what you did and how you were taught. If you wanted to spend your money on toys (big TVs, stereos, new cars, etc) then you had 'toys' at your apartment, not your house. We had friends who would choose that route.

klein

Für Meno :)
Oh well this upcomming weekend the Wall Street demos are comming to Canada. To Toronto and Vancouver to be precise.
No one knows what their agenda will be.
I assume the usual, such as Big Oil, maybe Globalization, Americanization, who knows ?
Maybe just the same as in the US ?

We shall see come this weekend.

804brown

Only partisans blame the Dems. The whole de regulate the economy started under Reagan. The de regulation continued under Clinton and Bush Jr too. Clinton with the Repub Congress did away with a good regulation known as Glass Steagall which separated investment banks from commerical banks. Then Bush and co finished the job. It is NOT too many regulations . It was not having enough regs on Big Business. You want to put blame on one party but both parties are bought and sold by the same Wall St pricks. Taxes are too high?? Not on Bank of America!!It did not pay any federal taxes for the past 2 yrs!! And it one of the most aggressive banks in seizing homes, tossing people out into the street!! Also it refuses to lend small businesses or consumers any $ and are back to their old ways of flagrant criminal activity and speculation that created the meltdown.

Remember it was Bank Of America that routinely hid its massive loses through good ol repurchase agreements. How sweet!!ANd then they used these criminal devices to erase their loses from the books!! Yeah you keep on defending these thieves. Why arent you out there calling for accountablility and them taking "personal responsiblity" since you righties actually think that corporations are people. Incedible!! Yeah corporations are people when they can be executed in Texas!! LOL!!

Herman Cain?? LOL!! you people never learn from your mistakes!!

804brown

Oh well this upcomming weekend the Wall Street demos are comming to Canada. To Toronto and Vancouver to be precise.
I assume the usual, such as Big Oil, maybe Globalization, Americanization, who knows ?

I plan on going to the NYC one this week.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Don't just stand there, get the weiner wagon ready!!

804brown

I am a Teamster Feeder Driver and I belong to the Tea Party!!!. I made my decisions my self no influence from rich people or Business people or Wall St people everybody on here is responsible for their own lives and how they went about, that goes for those idiots protesting on Wall St. If you wanted to be a Trader on Wall st you could have, If you wanted to be a Businessman or woman you could have! If you wanted to make a ton of money you could have. I don't remember when thing's changed in this country when people are not responsible for their OWN ACTIONS or LACK OF.

LOL, your "tea party" was started and backed by rich people like the Koch Brothers and Dick Armey a former leader of the Republican House and then became a huge lobbyist for the pharmaceutical industry and life insurance industry and the oil industry. He also is for free movement of labor so he believes in open borders. Anyway, you speak about "people" who are not responsible for their own acts. Why have no bankers been held accountable.?? Why are no bankers being frogged walked out of there offices?? During the S &L scandal of the Reagan yrs, over 1000 bankers went to jail. Maybe it is time for OWS to go and make some citizen arrests!! I'll bring my dad's old handcuffs!!

wkmac

Only partisans blame the Dems. The whole de regulate the economy started under Reagan. The de regulation continued under Clinton and Bush Jr too. Clinton with the Repub Congress did away with a good regulation known as Glass Steagall which separated investment banks from commerical banks. Then Bush and co finished the job. It is NOT too many regulations . It was not having enough regs on Big Business. You want to put blame on one party but both parties are bought and sold by the same Wall St pricks. Taxes are too high?? Not on Bank of America!!It did not pay any federal taxes for the past 2 yrs!! And it one of the most aggressive banks in seizing homes, tossing people out into the street!! Also it refuses to lend small businesses or consumers any $ and are back to their old ways of flagrant criminal activity and speculation that created the meltdown.

Remember it was Bank Of America that routinely hid its massive loses through good ol repurchase agreements. How sweet!!ANd then they used these criminal devices to erase their loses from the books!! Yeah you keep on defending these thieves. Why arent you out there calling for accountablility and them taking "personal responsiblity" since you righties actually think that corporations are people. Incedible!! Yeah corporations are people when they can be executed in Texas!! LOL!!

Really! Mother Jones a partisan Republican hack?

Deregulation has been the mantra on both sides of the aisle since the late 1960s. Long gone are Democrats like Michigan's Phil Hart who, as chair of the Senate Antitrust Subcommittee, held hearings on the concentration of economic power in the United States, and proposed expanded government regulation of everything from the oil and auto industries to pharmaceuticals to professional sports. Hart believed that because wealth and power were concentrated in the hands of such a small number of corporations, the market economy had become no more than a facade. In this context, what would bring about lower prices and greater productivity and innovation was more government intervention and regulation, not less.
Hart got a Senate building named after him, but his warnings about the threat of unbridled corporate power and consolidation went unheeded. Instead, the rush to deregulation began, first in the transportation sector. Efforts begun under Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford came to fruition under Jimmy Carter, who hired deregulation guru Alfred E. Kahn to head the Civil Aeronautics Board, the widely loathed agency responsible for regulating the airline industry. Senator Ted Kennedy and his then aide, future Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, embraced deregulation as a consumer issue, and with their support, Kahn quickly worked his way out of a job: The 1978 Airline Deregulation Act dissolved the CAB and removed most regulation of commercial airlines. Carter also signed into law bills deregulating the railroads and the trucking industry.

I don't know which is bigger, the lies the democrats tell about deregulation to it's voters or the lies republicans tell to it's voters but the worse part is that they both know each are lying to their voters and they say nothing of the truth out of fear their own lies would be exposed.

"No professional politician is ever actually in favor of public economy. It is his implacable enemy, and he knows it. All professional politicians are dedicated wholeheartedly to waste and corruption. They are the enemies of every decent man." ~ H.L. Mencken

"The art of government is the exclusive possession of quacks and frauds. It has been so since the earliest days, and it will probably remain so until the end of time." ~ H.L. Mencken

wkmac

Not that I'm here to defend Bank of America but why did you not mention the biggest benefactor of all in the banking industry and that is Goldman Sachs. Was it because you were trying to hide this fact from the light of day.

Goldman Sachs contributions to the Obama campaign were more than four times larger than the $230,095 in donations to Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign.
"Barack Obama's presidential campaign shattered all records when it came to fundraising, so it's no surprise that he significantly outraised John McCain when it came to contributions from the financial industry in general and Goldman Sachs in particular," CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser said.
Steinhauser added: "And even though some of the policies he was pushing during his bid for the White House were not so popular with Wall Street executives, it seemed investors wanted to back a winner."
According to figures dating to 1990, Goldman Sachs' PAC and employees have consistently contributed more money to Democratic rather than Republican candidates for federal office.
In the 2008 election, three out of every four dollars contributed by Goldman Sachs went to Democrats.

source

But as you rightly point out however, bothsides eat at the trough and it appears the WallStreet money has now shifted to Romney. But according to the article the Goldman money is staying with Obama. Going back to the first quoted CNN piece on Goldman, you'd better watch Congress because:

Since the 2008 election, FEC reports indicate that Goldman Sachs has contributed generously to Senate Banking Committee and House Financial Services Committee members. The two panels are responsible for oversight of the industry.

You better wake up and smell the coffee because the 2 parties are not our friend and We, The People should drop them both like a bad habit!

804brown

True Carter did de regulate some industries thinking that it would help consumers. He wanted government to protect the consumers from concentrated power of certain industries. It was certainly naive to just de regulate like that. Today Carter knows that to be a mistake but it was Reagan who came in labelling government was the problem and that government should get out of the way of big business:let the market decide. That is abit different then Carter and the dems reasons. But the Mother Jones article was correct, it is bipartisan. Whoever is in power gets bought and sold by the same corporate scum!!

wkmac

True Carter did de regulate some industries thinking that it would help consumers. He wanted government to protect the consumers from concentrated power of certain industries. It was certainly naive to just de regulate like that. Today Carter knows that to be a mistake but it was Reagan who came in labelling government was the problem and that government should get out of the way of big business:let the market decide. That is abit different then Carter and the dems reasons. But the Mother Jones article was correct, it is bipartisan. Whoever is in power gets bought and sold by the same corporate scum!!

I'll give you that to some degree but in the case of Reagan, you like the Reaganites are giving him way to much credit. If Reagan was what some claim about limiting the size and scope of gov't then why did the size and scope of gov't under Reagan grow?

I think it's fair to say they all SUK! :happy-very:

804brown

I'll give you that to some degree but in the case of Reagan, you like the Reaganites are giving him way to much credit. If Reagan was what some claim about limiting the size and scope of gov't then why did the size and scope of gov't under Reagan grow?

I think it's fair to say they all SUK! :happy-very:

Good point, that is why I will be at OWS this week!!

wkmac

Well, for the people, it creates restrictions. It decides what you as an individual cannot do. It decides what is considered to be wrong. It decides what you can be reprimanded, penalized, fined or incarcerated for. To the people, legislation is nothing more than the continual loss of our freedoms.

Now, let's take a look at the corporate side of legislation. What does it do? It creates "regulations", not restrictions. Regulations enable corporations instead of restrict them. Regulation is nothing more than a cute word that allows corporate entities to be exempt from the very same laws that apply to the individual. Basically, regulations set standards on how much crime can be committed by corporations.

It requires a very limited amount of thinking to understand almost immediately that this situation alone is a recipe for disaster. I need not delve any further for one to realize that restrictions for consumers, but freedom for profiteers, equals a fascist system. You don't have to look into the specifics of the laws, or any law specifically to see that we lose freedom as corporations gain it. Nearly every piece of legislation that is created by the federal government serves to directly benefit either big business or the government itself.

Rise Up and Support the Real Revolution

If everyone wants the poor to be able to pull themselves up out of poverty, then why are such things as zoning and other forms of regulation used to suppress market action especially in poor areas? Why is it corporations and other cartel interests are granted Enterprise Zone and other regulatory exemptions and yet poor neighborhoods and the poor in general are forced to jump through every regulatory hoop?

On another note, a friend involved with Occupy the Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank sent me this. This is awesome!

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, when the CEO of Walmart earns more money on his first day to work in the New Year, before he even puts his milk and sugar into his coffee, then the average Walmart employee earns all year long, then something is wrong with that picture. It's like the days before the industrial revolution !

And now you have Republicans supporting that and won't tax them more.
Quite the opposite as Herman Cain proposes. - Give them even a larger tax break, and tax the little earners more !

Who knows, maybe these demostrations are the beginning of a new needed industrial revolution ?

When I was a child and got to read about Robin Hood, he was a hero in my eyes.
But to republicans and Tea partiers, he's just a very awlful socialist, right ?