Odd question

jill del

We're you there watching your mom to see if she was looking at her phone or not? These trucks have every single thing on them monitored all the time. Telematics report could see how fast he backed up, if he honked, when he stopped, took off seatbelt, opened bulkhead door to get package, etc.. So the sup may be telling the truth. Now I also wouldn't put it past a supervisor to lie either. What I find hard to believe is that a professional driver would back into a driveway where theres an occupied vehicle with brake and reverse lights on. Also, that your mom did not see and hear a big ugly ups truck backing into her driveway.. just sayin

Number one, NEVER have I seen a UPS pull into our driveway or back into our driveway. This was the first time. Number two, so when my mother gets into her car and sees that the only thing in our driveway is her car, she should assume the ups truck up the street is going to back into the driveway.....yeah..right. My mom keeps her phone in her purse, she's 62 years old, she never uses her phone in the car. She was leaving to go to our church to clean.

jill del

Actually Orion has completely changed this. We are now expected to turn around in the nearest drive if possible.

Thank you, my guess is that the driver backed in to get turned around. I only asked what the rule were because the mailman saw my mom cleaning the glass out of the driveway and he asked what happened. He said that as far as he knew, he was told that he shouldn't pull his mail truck into someone's driveway. But I'm assuming the rules change is someone loves in a rural area and may have a very long driveway

Poop Head

Judge me.
Number one, NEVER have I seen a UPS pull into our driveway or back into our driveway. This was the first time. Number two, so when my mother gets into her car and sees that the only thing in our driveway is her car, she should assume the ups truck up the street is going to back into the driveway.....yeah..right. My mom keeps her phone in her purse, she's 62 years old, she never uses her phone in the car. She was leaving to go to our church to clean.
Your mom should have been looking where she was going. Behind her..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
After 62 years with probably 40 or so driving or so i would think she'd learn not to assume anything. Especially when backing. Maybe check a mirror or something. Make sure you aren't going to back into anything.

rod

Retired 22 years
It was a pair of shoes being delivered. My guess is he backed in maybe to turn around

Sounds like there is plenty of blame to go around- unfortunately the driver is the one who will probably end up fired and the sup or whatever management it was will get a bonus for trying to save the company some $$$.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You're not going to get sympathy here, you've come across a crew of people that see people do strange :censored2: daily with their cars and take the blame for :censored2: that isn't their fault.

Welcome to Brown Cafe, where being nice to people when they are wrong doesn't apply. Only your mom and the UPS driver know what really happened.

Brownslave688

You're not going to get sympathy here, you've come across a crew of people that see people do strange :censored2: daily with their cars and take the blame for :censored2: that isn't their fault.

Welcome to Brown Cafe, where being nice to people when they are wrong doesn't apply. Only your mom and the UPS driver know what really happened.
It is truly amazing the :censored2: we've seen.

I had a man back 10 feet into me in a 100 space parking lot where we were the only two people in the lot. I was absolutely laying on the horn the entire time. The old man had no business at all being behind the wheel of a vehicle.

jill del

Yeah well I come from a moral, hardworking family and sometimes I forget that there are people out there who would say or do anything to get out of something to save a buck. It's what's wrong with this damn world.

jill del

It is truly amazing the :censored2: we've seen.

I had a man back 10 feet into me in a 100 space parking lot where we were the only two people in the lot. I was absolutely laying on the horn the entire time. The old man had no business at all being behind the wheel of a vehicle.
Your mom should have been looking where she was going. Behind her..

It's not just my mother's fault, the ups driver shouldn't back into people's driveway and he obviously didn't even notice my mother in her vehicle, on our property.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Yeah well I come from a moral, hardworking family and sometimes I forget that there are people out there who would say or do anything to get out of something to save a buck. It's what's wrong with this damn world.
Most of the guys/gals here are like that,you have to be to do a job that we do everyday. The problem is the side customers don't see, the constatant harassment and microscope we are under. Couple that with a population that is increasingly unaware of their surroundings, that we are suppose to anticipate :censored2: going wrong, you start to develop an attitude daily of damn if you do, damn if you don't.

So people just stop caring about what either side, external or internal, thinks of you and just go through the motions.

Brownslave688

It's not just my mother's fault, the ups driver shouldn't back into people's driveway and he obviously didn't even notice my mother in her vehicle, on our property.
Really not trying to be a dick here but what was your mother doing? Sitting in her car?

So your mother isn't expected to see a 10 ft tall 6 ft wide brown truck behind her but the ups man should of seen her sitting in the car while he's backing up?

Brownslave688

Most of the guys/gals here are like that,you have to be to do a job that we do everyday. The problem is the side customers don't see, the constatant harassment and microscope we are under. Couple that with a population that is increasingly unaware of their surroundings, that we are suppose to anticipate :censored2: going wrong, you start to develop an attitude daily of damn if you do, damn if you don't.

So people just stop caring about what either side, external or internal, thinks of you and just go through the motions.
I see this as part of the reason the guy may have backed in. He saw the old lady get in her car and figured hey I'll block her in to make sure she doesn't back into me out on the street. The delivery is for her after all.

jill del

I agree with you, I've worked many jobs dealing with the public and if theirs one thing I've learned it's that people are :censored2:s and it made me not a people person. I was just asking if there were any rules, I don't want the driver to get fired as he was kind and professional like I said. We assumed that they both were at fault and they both knew. Everything was fine until the supervisor called and tried to twist everything over the phone. But thanks for all the input. I'm sure you have to deal with :censored2: customers all day and I sympathize with you. I'm just pissed off at the lying supervisor.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Obviously the driver made the wrong decision, I just don't get how you back up and don't see and hear a big brown ups truck two feet behind you.. either way, in the eyes of ups, the ups driver is solely responsible for putting himself into that situation in the first place. I don't know what goes on with the insurance and stuff, but they will definetly go over the telematics report with a microscope. Tell your mom to not be surprised if more ups supervisors show up and try to recreate/ understand what happened. They get paid for that

jill del

Really not trying to be a dick here but what was your mother doing? Sitting in her car?

So your mother isn't expected to see a 10 ft tall 6 ft wide brown truck behind her but the ups man should of seen her sitting in the car while he's backing up?

She got in her car to drive to the church to clean like she does every week. Never has a ups truck come into the driveway. The always just stop on the side of the road. Our driveway is probably about 35 feet long, we usually back the whole way out and stop to look for traffic on the road (we don't live on a busy street) so she was supposed to assume that ups driver was going to come in the driveway? You come out of your house and see that your the only vehicle in your own driveway. You're supposed to assume the ups driver up the street is going to come in the driveway....so now people should be psychic?

jill del

Obviously the driver made the wrong decision, I just don't get how you back up and don't see and hear a big brown ups truck two feet behind you.. either way, in the eyes of ups, the ups driver is solely responsible for putting himself into that situation in the first place. I don't know what goes on with the insurance and stuff, but they will definetly go over the telematics report with a microscope. Tell your mom to not be surprised if more ups supervisors show up and try to recreate/ understand what happened. They get paid for that

We can go over this over and over again and analyze every detail and they both made wrong choices. I was just asking a question about policies and rules since the mailman said that USPS doesn't want them pulling into driveways. I was wondering if it was similar for UPS.

Poop Head

Judge me.
She got in her car to drive to the church to clean like she does every week. Never has a ups truck come into the driveway. The always just stop on the side of the road. Our driveway is probably about 35 feet long, we usually back the whole way out and stop to look for traffic on the road (we don't live on a busy street) so she was supposed to assume that ups driver was going to come in the driveway? You come out of your house and see that your the only vehicle in your own driveway. You're supposed to assume the ups driver up the street is going to come in the driveway....so now people should be psychic?
YOURE SUPPOSED TO LOOK WHERE YOURE GOING!! What if it was a little girl on her bike coming up the driveway cuz she was lost and looking for help? You're just gonna mow her down because you don't need to look around you until you get to the curb?

jill del

Anyways people. Thanks for the entertainment this evening and for the input. Not trying to get the driver fired. Just trying to get some info in case this supervisor tries to come up with more bogus lies. I know what it's like to work with the public and deal with so much bull:censored2: and lies. It's made me strongly dislike people and it's hard to bite your tongue and not scream :censored2: you to them as much as you want to.