Off the street permanent hire

ian1006

It looks like I am a unicorn...applied for permanent full time driver off the street and got the job offer during the first interview. Non seasonal! Really needed this for the family.
Going for physical DOT physical today and road test today or tomorrow. They are trying to get me to training by next week.
Already studying the 5 habits and 10 or commentary.

ian1006

Took my road test today. Got docked 110 points but passed and the guy said I did really good. The thing shifted horrible and was so hard to get in first gear, stalled it twice because it wouldn’t stay in first and stalled once because I couldn’t get it into second either, whole time guy was telling me to go fast but I drove what was comfortable to me in a big truck.
Had to back up to the dock with no directions whatsoever and I lined up perfectly even but was 8 inches from the dock which he dinged me for. Class on Monday. Everyone seems friendly enough but also not playing around either

ian1006

Haha yeh but the more points the worse you did!
He kept saying how good I was doing then bam you missed 110 points and max is 150

Took my road test today. Got docked 110 points but passed and the guy said I did really good. The thing shifted horrible and was so hard to get in first gear, stalled it twice because it wouldn’t stay in first and stalled once because I couldn’t get it into second either, whole time guy was telling me to go fast but I drove what was comfortable to me in a big truck.
Had to back up to the dock with no directions whatsoever and I lined up perfectly even but was 8 inches from the dock which he dinged me for. Class on Monday. Everyone seems friendly enough but also not playing around either
I don't know how you passed stalling it three times and not using you rear view monitor to see how far away you was from the dock.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I don't know how you passed stalling it three times
Of course, they probably used a spare package car that everyone in the center refused to take on the road because it was unsafe. Maybe the instructor was either desperate for warm bodies or having mercy on a trainee. Gotta make those numbers!

ian1006

Stalled because the thing wouldn’t get into gear. Instructor actually killed it just as many times as me as well as almost hitting another parked truck because of the slop in the trans.
Been driving a manual transmission for 15 years.
He also told me to backup and gave no instructions on how close or whatever. First driving job, I didn’t know how close to be or whatever.
Anyways, lot to learn obviously
He said they have 2-4 manuals left in the entire hub and that they are scheduled to be replaced this year because they are so beat.

allahuakbar

She/Her
You still need to do your 30 days. Your not permanent till you get your phone call. That won’t be till after peak.
I assume the union freeze is oct in most parts of the country?

ian1006

What’s the union freeze? I start driver training tomorrow morning. They had me sign union paperwork last Tuesday.
He said 30-40 days for permanent, what do you mean after peak? Should have 30 days quickly for being full time yeh?
Sorry, noob with all of this and hr has been rushing and pushing all this. Not sure I Understand the whole process

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Good for you. Make sure you walk around and get to know the local and preload operations. You really look stupid complaining on loading if you never had to be in the trenches of a preload or a local sort.

Undagod46

It looks like I am a unicorn...applied for permanent full time driver off the street and got the job offer during the first interview. Non seasonal! Really needed this for the family.
Going for physical DOT physical today and road test today or tomorrow. They are trying to get me to training by next week.
Already studying the 5 habits and 10 or commentary.

So is this for a feeder driver position and do you have two years experience

Undagod46

I applied to feeders as a full time of the street but now I’m in some kind of loop hole because the union doesn’t allow feeders off the street with no experience but I have my cdl from school but their given me the run around about a class they have already started what should I do. I have talk to hr but the only thing they’re telling me is I’m still a ups employee but right now they have to find someone to train me to do the job that I applied for which is a full time feeder job position but the operation supervisor over the feeder department in local 71 here In Charlotte told he would have to get the union and labor involved

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I applied to feeders as a full time of the street but now I’m in some kind of loop hole because the union doesn’t allow feeders off the street with no experience but I have my cdl from school but their given me the run around about a class they have already started what should I do. I have talk to hr but the only thing they’re telling me is I’m still a ups employee but right now they have to find someone to train me to do the job that I applied for which is a full time feeder job position but the operation supervisor over the feeder department in local 71 here In Charlotte told he would have to get the union and labor involved

Sounds like you’ll have to pay your dues like everybody else

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So what does that mean will I get bumped down to RPCD or yard shifter

Work a sort until you have enough seniority to work a package car

Then do that until you have enough seniority to bid a feeder gig

Might happen sooner or it might happen later

I’d would question the full time off the street feeder job
Not saying it couldn’t happen but I’ve never seen it