Ok...so were going under...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
So you break it up for them. Send them out with 50%, then 70%, then 100%. Damn. It's almost like I have some kind of management experience or something. The big thing I to realize that the savings come not today but down the road.
You gotta be kidding. FedEx Express isn't about to give a newbie 50, 70 or any other percentage of stops, it'll be 100% come hell or high water. Fred being the greedy person that he is wants his numbers today not next week. There is NO patience with new hires which another reason they quit so soon.

MAKAVELI

So you break it up for them. Send them out with 50%, then 70%, then 100%. Damn. It's almost like I have some kind of management experience or something. The big thing I to realize that the savings come not today but down the road.
I bet most Express drivers could manage your routes better than you.

bbsam

Staff member
I have to also jump in here and disagree with you BB.

I believe an average of about 3 months in a given area is needed to become proficient.

Sure, we have the regulars, but the variation of on call pickups getting thrown into the mix, along with the learning curve of which time the shipper is truly ready at.
Just because it gives a 1600-1800 window might mean that particular customer is really ready at 1715, never mind daily variations.
Throw in the occasional Haz, international or bulk stop, and it gets complicated.

No , it's not rocket science, but a week just doesn't cut it.
Ok. I will stipulate to all that and say this.

3 months is not a 4 year degree. And even at that, it usually takes my drivers a year to get a route down. Pickup routes may be a bit more complicated than I first implied, but not only is it not rocket science, it isn't even first year college algebra.

bbsam

Staff member
You gotta be kidding. FedEx Express isn't about to give a newbie 50, 70 or any other percentage of stops, it'll be 100% come hell or high water. Fred being the greedy person that he is wants his numbers today not next week. There is NO patience with new hires which another reason they quit so soon.
Ok. I'm not familiar how Express does things with training, but it sure sounds to me like I don't have the turnover issue they do.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ok. I'm not familiar how Express does things with training, but it sure sounds to me like I don't have the turnover issue they do.
Crap.....Ground goes thru more help than Safeway goes thru heads of lettuce.

vantexan

I believe an average of about 3 months in a given area is needed to become proficient.

Sure, we have the regulars, but the variation of on call pickups getting thrown into the mix, along with the learning curve of which time the shipper is truly ready at.
Just because it gives a 1600-1800 window might mean that particular customer is really ready at 1715, never mind daily variations.
Throw in the occasional Haz, international or bulk stop, and it gets complicated.

I think most couriers know about everything needed in about a month on a given route. After that they may learn a thing or two once in awhile. Truth is that if a person has enough aptitude to pass the courier test in the hiring process, has no drugs in his system, not dumb enough to get in trouble with the law, he can handle the courier job. What separates the wheat from the chaff is the willingness to work. Some just don't have it.

overflowed

I agree, this used to not be the case. I have seen a few pup drivers get handed keys, a truck and , and "be safe" only to come back that night with busted up trucks. Then quit within the week because management came down hard on them. I heard that ops managers no longer have many training hours at all to use.

DontThrowPackages

Exactly. A PT'er sees a ready at 1600 close at 1800 and walks in at 1550 when the normal driver comes in at 1745. How pissed is that customer, especially when he's a 200 pcs shipper? PT'er don't care, he waits til 1601 and leaves. Customer calls Memphis and the managers are throwing scat at all of us in the morning meeting because of a rookie PT'er....whom THEY wanted by the way. PT'er dont care. He's a late starter. We get yelled at for him.

bbsam

Staff member
My response to CPC is that they need to explain to the customer what a "window" is and why it is in places. It isn't for the customers convenience. It is an operational construct.

vantexan

My response to CPC is that they need to explain to the customer what a "window" is and why it is in places. It isn't for the customers convenience. It is an operational construct.

When you have a large shipper you give them as much time as you can. Doesn't matter, they get taken care of. Someone should have explained that to PTer who comes in early. Problem with that scenario is any route with a 200 pkg shipper will have the time built in to take care of that shipper. He won't be taking care of a bunch of other pups then only having 10-15 mins to pick up 200 pkgs, unless they're all letters or very small boxes.