Ok...so were going under...

bbsam

Staff member
Yes. However, sometimes time dictates the window. Again, there are "windows" for a reason. If the company wanted a 15 minute window, then sales and the company need to figure that out or not sign them up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly. A PT'er sees a ready at 1600 close at 1800 and walks in at 1550 when the normal driver comes in at 1745. How pissed is that customer, especially when he's a 200 pcs shipper? PT'er don't care, he waits til 1601 and leaves. Customer calls Memphis and the managers are throwing scat at all of us in the morning meeting because of a rookie PT'er....whom THEY wanted by the way. PT'er dont care. He's a late starter. We get yelled at for him.

The new employee is clueless and probably could care less anyway. Increasingly, experienced people feel the same way. This bodes well for great customer service, doesn't it?

vantexan

Yes. However, sometimes time dictates the window. Again, there are "windows" for a reason. If the company wanted a 15 minute window, then sales and the company need to figure that out or not sign them up.

As I was saying that scenario isn't accurate because the company is going to take care of big shippers. The route would be structured around making sure courier has the time necessary to take care of that customer. Now if customer calls in at last minute with an oncall and has 200 pkgs we may tell him he'll have to run them directly to the ramp because we just don't have the time to handle it. There is a limit to what we can do, but a regular pickup of that size gets special treatment.

bbsam

Staff member
On a regular basis, yes. In the event of a break down, new driver, etc., well that's what a window is for.

MAKAVELI

On a regular basis, yes. In the event of a break down, new driver, etc., well that's what a window is for.
I think you miss the point. With big shippers they will force the driver to bend over backwards to get that pup because if we don't the customer knows they can just ship with the competition. Express management is more concerned about the pu than the del.

bbsam

Staff member
WAD. If the only way to satisfy the agreement is to make the pickup early in the window, I will do so. Of I can make a sweep later, I will. If not, Ground management is within their right to send another contractor or driver in. Pickup window. Operational construct.

ProfitServiceProfit

I think most couriers know about everything needed in about a month on a given route. After that they may learn a thing or two once in awhile. Truth is that if a person has enough aptitude to pass the courier test in the hiring process, has no drugs in his system, not dumb enough to get in trouble with the law, he can handle the courier job. What separates the wheat from the chaff is the willingness to work. Some just don't have it.

I'd agree that it should only take about a month for a new courier to be proficient on a pt pickup rte. At least around our station the on calls aren't that crazy and shouldn't take someone with half a brain to master.

As far as the pickup window is concerned, the customer agreed to it with sales so they have no right to be pissed as long as I'm in that window. I'll do my best to accommodate their requests but if SHTF because of weather, late dels, or whatever thats too bad.

Also, I've been told by a few new couriers that it is impossible to fail courier training now. As in their trainer told them he has to pass everyone as long as they show up everyday. And judging by the quality of a our past few out of company hires I believe it.

BTW I'm in the Express opco.

vantexan

WAD. If the only way to satisfy the agreement is to make the pickup early in the window, I will do so. Of I can make a sweep later, I will. If not, Ground management is within their right to send another contractor or driver in. Pickup window. Operational construct.

This illustrates the difference in culture between the two opco's. You've been very sure that you and your guys could step in and do anything the Express couriers do but truth is we've always taken care of our better shippers. We don't treat them like everyone else and for the revenue they bring they deserve more consideration. For what you wrote above alone management will never turn pickups over to contractors, even if they could legally. Or they will and realize their error. We exist to serve the customers, not the other way around. Yes, there are limits and Sales makes that clear in setting up a regular. But we bend as much as we can without breaking to keep them happy.

bbsam

Staff member
Have you been listening to the attitudes around here? Doesn't sound to me like most couriers give adamn one way or another. It's all about WAD. Should it pay enough, yes, me and my guys could step in and do it.

STFXG

Van, you realize that we get paid based on volume right? What makes you think we won't go the extra mile for our cash cows? If its worth it, we make it happen. Smaller shippers... Well we pickup in the window.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Van, you realize that we get paid based on volume right? What makes you think we won't go the extra mile for our cash cows? If its worth it, we make it happen. Smaller shippers... Well we pickup in the window.

You two don't understand the nature of Express pickups.

vantexan

Have you been listening to the attitudes around here? Doesn't sound to me like most couriers give adamn one way or another. It's all about WAD. Should it pay enough, yes, me and my guys could step in and do it.

Most couriers actually try to do a good job. If you are going to provide Express level service then you have to put your customer first. Remember the Express shipper is paying premium prices for next day on time service. And Express emphasizes pickups first. We break off to make sure pickups are pupped before their close time. If you go into it saying I'll do what I can but what I want comes first you'll butt heads with FedEx.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I beg to differ. There are many of us who still care, and try to do the best that we can for our customers. However, FedEx, in all of it's infinite wisdom puts us on the road and ties our hands behind our backs and limits what we can do for our customers. Therefore, WAD.

bbsam

Staff member
Most couriers actually try to do a good job. If you are going to provide Express level service then you have to put your customer first. Remember the Express shipper is paying premium prices for next day on time service. And Express emphasizes pickups first. We break off to make sure pickups are pupped before their close time. If you go into it saying I'll do what I can but what I want comes first you'll butt heads with FedEx.

Fedex understands our mindset. If they want me to have drivers sitting around waiting, they will make it worth our while. If they want the "Purple Promise", well that's going to cost more. We are in fact mercenaries.

bbsam

Staff member
I beg to differ. There are many of us who still care, and try to do the best that we can for our customers. However, FedEx, in all of it's infinite wisdom puts us on the road and ties our hands behind our backs and limits what we can do for our customers. Therefore, WAD.

I think alot want to care. But in the end, what difference does it make?

MAKAVELI

Fedex understands our mindset. If they want me to have drivers sitting around waiting, they will make it worth our while. If they want the "Purple Promise", well that's going to cost more. We are in fact mercenaries.
Give me a ducking break! They could care less to make it worth your while. Get over yourself bro. You are dime a dozen just like the rest of us.

bbsam

Staff member
Are you saying Ground and Express people are the same? That's a new angle from you. But then since you make sure you get every penny you have coming, you understand where I'm coming from.

MAKAVELI

Are you saying Ground and Express people are the same? That's a new angle from you. But then since you make sure you get every penny you have coming, you understand where I'm coming from.
No I actually work for my paycheck. We are only the same in the fact we work for the same employer who's philosophy is " everyone is replaceable".