Ok...so were going under...

bbsam

Staff member
I have always had the belief that my work relationship with Fedex has been described as "nothing promised, nothing stolen". So I think that fits. I do, however think Express folks are a bit late to that realization.

Like I said. Mercenaries...brother. We are the same afterall.

vantexan

Fedex understands our mindset. If they want me to have drivers sitting around waiting, they will make it worth our while. If they want the "Purple Promise", well that's going to cost more. We are in fact mercenaries.

It's a moot point. Only regular employees can do pickups anyways. The FAA is guaranteeing me a job and FedEx isn't planning to give overnight deliveries to contractors or they wouldn't be implementing DRA. As long as Express is offering a service we will be the ones delivering that service so unless they make us a strictly overnight service we'll still be the ones delivering 2 and 3 day freight. Why? Because customers paid a premium to have Express employees deliver their package and if anything went wrong and it was found that FedEx took the premium charge but turned it over to Ground then you'd have alot of angry customers feeling screwed. One thing to have cartage agents helping when shorthanded, another thing to charge high price then have it delivered by people customer could have used for a much lower price.

bbsam

Staff member
It is only a moot point until the calculus changes. Delivery records show what areas Ground hits consistently at what time on a daily basis. I don't think your job is going anywhere, but I think you are being naive to think that it is because the customer will feel cheated. I'm still mistaken for Express every time I drive. On the delivery end, what do they care anyway as long as it is ontime? Most often they aren't the ones paying for shipping anyway. And if they are upset, it is at the shipper for the added $15 "shipping and handling" fee tacked on to increase profits.

STFXG

No customer pays to have an express courier deliver their package. They are paying for the time guarantee.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What if these same people discover that Express is charging a premium price to pickup air packages but are sending them on trailers to their destination?

That's been happening for a very long time. Anything that can be trucked and still make service is trucked. Nobody cares as long as it gets there on time.

vantexan

Yes. Now explain that to van.

Until the FAA changes the rules the most you can do is be the final cartage agent. The customer may not care up to a point. But let there be problems with deliveries, a major customer finds out that his 3 day Express Saver was delivered by a Ground driver, which he could have paid alot less to use, and you'll see customers caring very quickly. If FedEx is implementing DRA, then Express is keeping most, if not all of it's services. I believe, according to people who've seen "secret" documents, we should have given up ExpressSaver a while back. Hmmmmm........

bbsam

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, could DRA be used to route newbie strictly on the challenging pickup routes I have heard so much about?

hypo hanna

Add in the complications of scheduled deliveries and required reattempts on dex08's and DRA looses its effectiveness by noon. Just too many variables.

code 019 at ur moms

dra for pickups would be such a disaster I expect them to try it soon. dispatch doesn't even know the nuances of existing regular pickups, last week they asked me to do my 2+hr bulk stop in addition to stops literally on the other side of the valley, and be back at my normal time. hello dudes. I'm not sitting in my truck for half of my route. only like 1/4th of it.

it's also a continual source of amusement how much people groan and moan when you want lwop two weeks ahead, and finally grant it to you, and then apparently cover your route on the day of with someone who had no idea he was going to do your route until he showed up. why make me ask for it so far in advance and make such a big deal out of it if it's that easy to get it covered, and you're going to do zero planning whatsoever?

I got my first letter for belt crossing recently so I'm in an especially touchy mood but gat dam

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
dra for pickups would be such a disaster I expect them to try it soon. dispatch doesn't even know the nuances of existing regular pickups, last week they asked me to do my 2+hr bulk stop in addition to stops literally on the other side of the valley, and be back at my normal time. hello dudes. I'm not sitting in my truck for half of my route. only like 1/4th of it.

it's also a continual source of amusement how much people groan and moan when you want lwop two weeks ahead, and finally grant it to you, and then apparently cover your route on the day of with someone who had no idea he was going to do your route until he showed up. why make me ask for it so far in advance and make such a big deal out of it if it's that easy to get it covered, and you're going to do zero planning whatsoever?

I got my first letter for belt crossing recently so I'm in an especially touchy mood but gat dam

A Golden Falcon to you for suggesting that they create a DRA program for pickups. May I suggest the following acronym for this? How about HFD, for Huge Fing Disaster

overflowed

No customer pays to have an express courier deliver their package. They are paying for the time guarantee.

Which your dumasse still can't understand is the same thing to the customer. " Hi I know its 1645 but my contractors truck broke down and another driver got pissed and no called no showed. So I got 70 more stops today. Sorry, I'll be here tomorrow before 1030 my contractor promised." By the way, I have a Panda to sell you.

DontThrowPackages

Which your dumasse still can't understand is the same thing to the customer. " Hi I know its 1645 but my contractors truck broke down and another driver got pissed and no called no showed. So I got 70 more stops today. Sorry, I'll be here tomorrow before 1030 my contractor promised." By the way, I have a Panda to sell you.
FX love panda too much.

STFXG

"We can't make commit times today because a plane landed late, inclement weather, bad dispatch, etc, etc, etc." Thanks for trying people.

bbsam

Staff member
STXFG makes a good point. It isn't out of the ordinary for Express to have such disruptions.