Older FT supes getting passed over for promotions by kids with only 3 years experience

cherryred

I notice a lot of older supes with 10 to 20 yrs are getting passed over for manager promotions by kids that are only 3 years in. Is there a corporate mandate to skip over supes that have paid their dues over kids.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I notice a lot of older supes with 10 to 20 yrs are getting passed over for manager promotions by kids that are only 3 years in. Is there a corporate mandate to skip over supes that have paid their dues over kids.
Just common sense.
UPS is not going to invest in an employee that will be leaving in a few years.
The future of the company is planning for the future.

542thruNthru

If it takes you 20 years to be considered for a manager position then I'm pretty sure you're not even qualified for the job you're in right now.

Policy_Driven

The problem with this post is the statement around “paid their dues”. That doesn’t earn you a promotion. Go out and earn it. Perhaps the company is looking for forward thinkers and not those that have been going through the motions and think they deserve the manager job because they’ve been with the company longer. Tenure doesn’t make you a better leader.

MrBates

They don't consider number of years served for a promotion. They only consider how many boxes you manage to move given the chess pieces you have to work with.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think the young kids are more impressionable therefore can be molded into something, and willing to do illegal/unethical things as they have less to lose in life. The older ones are probably less likely to risk their jobs and also less likely to be flexible. So given this, middle management wants people they can tame and that won't complain/rat out the unethical stuff

textat3

The kids:

1) Have degrees
2) Will do it for less $$
3) Have way less vacation time
4) Easier to program
5) Great chance the kid will quit or be terminated within 5 years
6) Repeat

textat3

One of the kids at out center lasted about 8 years...it was all good when he was a yes man with a useless college degree in Bible Studies....then he got married...it was still cool....then he had a few kids and real world problems+stress+responsibilities outside of UPS + stress and responsibilities of a job he was never qualified for in the first place= A FedEx Ground daily rate driver who just sold his house and moved the fam back into a condo.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
You can pay these kids much less. Everyone knows operations does no real decision making, they are not allowed.