On call

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Even if that's the case how do you think that's economical? Their still loosing money, no skin off my back
If it's no skin off your back, why did you mention it? It is economical. Misloads aren't cheap to run. Say a driver comes back with your 4 misloads and I have to get someone to run them. I'm sending him from our building back out into town which is adding at least 30 more minutes to his day. That's assuming he's familiar So UPS is paying him OT, which for top rate is going to be 25 bucks to deliver those 3 packages. We just lost any profit we had on those packages because we had the $11 an hour newbie load instead of the guy whose been doing it for years.

Economics aren't black and white. We pay guys a lot more than FedEx, with better benefits. Is that economical? It is when they are as well trained as drivers are, deliver as much as drivers do, and still make ridiculous profits.

HardknocksUPSer

If it's no skin off your back, why did you mention it? It is economical. Misloads aren't cheap to run. Say a driver comes back with your 4 misloads and I have to get someone to run them. I'm sending him from our building back out into town which is adding at least 30 more minutes to his day. That's assuming he's familiar So UPS is paying him OT, which for top rate is going to be 25 bucks to deliver those 3 packages. We just lost any profit we had on those packages because we had the $11 an hour newbie load instead of the guy whose been doing it for years.

Economics aren't black and white. We pay guys a lot more than FedEx, with better benefits. Is that economical? It is when they are as well trained as drivers are, deliver as much as drivers do, and still make ridiculous profits.
I've talked to the sups about this, how hard is it to give the PT folks 15mins to check a truck for misloads before clocking out? If we were allowed 15mins to do it that may help I mean it's hard to miss every single misload

UPSGUY72

I've talked to the sups about this, how hard is it to give the PT folks 15mins to check a truck for misloads before clocking out? If we were allowed 15mins to do it that may help I mean it's hard to miss every single misload

It isn't hard at all but it isn't going to happen because if UPS gave everyone that loads a car an extra 15 min after they finished it would add up to millions of dollars in labor cost. Just do the job the right way to start and there isn't going to be any problems.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
It isn't hard at all but it isn't going to happen because if UPS gave everyone that loads a car an extra 15 min after they finished it would add up to millions of dollars in labor cost. Just do the job the right way to start and there isn't going to be any problems.
They should have had scanners at the truck for the preload green light it goes in the truck . Preload has been our downfall ever since we switched to the pal label system. Street knowledge versus computer technology . Putting it in the same place on the truck was consistent and reduced the stress of selection.

PT Car Washer

They should have had scanners at the truck for the preload green light it goes in the truck . Preload has been our downfall ever since we switched to the pal label system. Street knowledge versus computer technology . Putting it in the same place on the truck was consistent and reduced the stress of selection.
Actually knowing what town or streets went into each package car eliminated most misloads. I have seen out of state packages misloaded and the sup would argue that yes that is your delivery.

UPSGUY72

That isn't going to happen either one scanner for each truck they would need over 130 for my building. Then they would have to building a room to store them in.

PT Car Washer

That isn't going to happen either one scanner for each truck they would need over 130 for my building. Then they would have to building a room to store them in.
It most likely would not help with off SPAs either. Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel? Had a system that worked but to save the extra dollar in wages UPS wastes thousands on misloads everyday.

Ms.PacMan

Even if that's the case how do you think that's economical? Their still loosing money, no skin off my back
I don't think you're quite grasping a union/seniority environment. The least senior drivers will be laid off and can bump back to pt which in turn displaces a part timer who displaces another part timer until all jobs are filled. Unemployment then for any permanent employee laid off.

Wage rates have nothing to do with it. UPS is not allowed to pick and choose who works based on pay scale because of our union contract. It's all seniority for permanent employees.

PT Car Washer

I don't think you're quite grasping a union/seniority environment. The least senior drivers will be laid off and can bump back to pt which in turn displaces a part timer who displaces another part timer until all jobs are filled. Unemployment then for any permanent employee laid off.

Wage rates have nothing to do with it. UPS is not allowed to pick and chose who works based on pay scale because of our union contract. It's all seniority for permanent employees.
Almost right. The FT displaces the bottom seniority PT who can't bump anyone else because he is the bottom.

Ms.PacMan

Almost right. The FT displaces the bottom seniority PT who can't bump anyone else because he is the bottom.
Thx for the correction. Luckily or unluckily I was hired during the roaring 90's and got laid off 2 or 3 Monday's my first year. I never did the bumping game.