On time network

menotyou

bella amicizia
Are building heard about this a couple of weeks ago. To go along with trailers pulling "on time" are Ft pre-load is suppose to be done early thus are start times have be moved up 10 min. Today when every trailer has been sitting in the yard since Sat. you would think the pre-load would be done early. Tthey weren't however they did leave early as planned after stacking out the back of the cars so the drivers had to load the rest of the packages. Most of the 120+ plus drivers in are building left 20-30 min late. What a joke.
That production number is more important than getting drivers on the road to service the paying customer.

raceanoncr

I ain't there anymore but let me guess...They're gonna start this on Good Friday. One of the lowest volume days of the year because of most business being closed (at least that's the case when I was there).

Pickups are in early, trailers are done early, feeders pulls early, feeders turn early, feeders get back early, sit in the yard all weekend, are unloaded Mon (maybe early. Here's where it gets dicey), package cars get out (again, maybe early, maybe not...it's only been one working day diff), package cars deliver and start picking up normal volume, along with normal feeder pickup volume, package cars get in late, feeders get in late, feeders leave late...the cycle is broken. It all turns to **** in just one working day.

It always did for all of my 32 years.

spif91

I pulled 14 minutes early on Monday morning. Tuesday morning I pulled 15 min late. Will see how it works the rest of the week.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Its a great theory, and it could actually work....if the company was truly committed to it in action as well as in words.

Its not enough, however, to merely tell me that I have to be in by a certain deadline. That goal needs to be reflected in the dispatch. Wishful thinking combined with a new acronym will not be enough.

Right now, our flavor of the week is Stops Per Car. They will need to put SPC back in the cupboard for awhile if they want On Time Network to be this weeks new flavor. You really cant have OTN and SPC together at the same time, its like trying to mix sugar and salt and the result will taste like sh$t.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
they did leave early as planned after stacking out the back of the cars so the drivers had to load the rest of the packages. Most of the 120+ plus drivers in are building left 20-30 min late. What a joke.

i'm required by my bosses to have my people off the clock at 8:20 sharp, maybe keeping 1-2 people if it's a real mess

drivers complain to me non-stop about loading their own trucks, but there's nothing i can do

we meet our production numbers great, but it has to be costing the company more money to have drivers on the clock longer, but i guess that slide didn't make the powerpoint..

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
i'm required by my bosses to have my people off the clock at 8:20 sharp, maybe keeping 1-2 people if it's a real mess

drivers complain to me non-stop about loading their own trucks, but there's nothing i can do

we meet our production numbers great, but it has to be costing the company more money to have drivers on the clock longer, but i guess that slide didn't make the powerpoint..

Funny how that works. I wonder if any genius actually sits down and figures out how much they lose by paying drivers OT, instead of letting you guys do the job, you were hired and trained to do. Now once it is driver start time I see the reasoning, but by then it is clear the customer will get later than usual deliveries, but it all dont matter any more, just the spreadsheets.

UPSGUY72

I guess not again preload off the clock early. Today the preload had everything loaded in the cars to bad they didn't take the time to put the packages where they suppose to. Got 2 hrs of OT most of it looking for packages loaded in the wrong sections.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our building, is supposed to be done early thus Our start times Most of the 120+ plus drivers in Our building left 20-30 min late. What a joke.
Sorry but this one bugged me.
Back me up upstate.
upsguy,please don't take offence,I hope are relationship is not diminished as a result.I hope me and you our still friends.

Thank you. I enjoy 72's posts but the "are" thing bugs me. Full discloser. I went to school in Wisconsin. Gasp!

UPSGUY72

Thank you. I enjoy 72's posts but the "are" thing bugs me. Full discloser. I went to school in Wisconsin. Gasp!

Not a problem brownmonster my mistake I'll try to pay attention next time. Good thing I didn't major in English in college. All that money wasted on college and I'm still just a dumb truck (car) driver.

beentheredonethat

Funny how that works. I wonder if any genius actually sits down and figures out how much they lose by paying drivers OT, instead of letting you guys do the job, you were hired and trained to do. Now once it is driver start time I see the reasoning, but by then it is clear the customer will get later than usual deliveries, but it all dont matter any more, just the spreadsheets.

I think we are slowly getting better.Unfortunately still way to slow. We worry more about a number such as Preload PPH, then in overall cost. A driver at OT rate vs that probably will be a bit quicker then a preloader at preload ST rate. The PPH shows no difference and perhaps a better PPH with the driver doing the work.But the cost statement will show paying a PT at ST is much cheaper then a FT at OT.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?

They would much rather pay 50 drivers 45 dollars an hour to load their own cars, then pay 50 people 11 bucks an hour to load a car.

How can you not see how much money they are saving the company I mean its simple much.

Oh god help me I am starting to think like a UPS CEO. LOL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not a problem brownmonster my mistake I'll try to pay attention next time. Good thing I didn't major in English in college. All that money wasted on college and I'm still just a dumb truck (car) driver.

72, it seems BM was absent when they covered disclosure.