On Topic Boxline Preloaders (Past or Present) Only

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Big Arrow Down...D,

If what you say is true then how can an obvious unsafe practice that can not be supported by training be accepted as standard operating procedure?

How can this be done in plain view of management and union officials and still be allowed to continue?

How can the Preloaders continue to choose to put themselves in such obvious danger in this way?

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
I
This is 100% true I've seen this being done for almost 20 years and the sups are more guilty of this than the loaders...monkey see monkey do.

Integrity

Binge Poster
This is 100% true I've seen this being done for almost 20 years and the sups are more guilty of this than the loaders...monkey see monkey do.
Big Arrow Down...D,

I know it is being done that is why this thread even exists.

If it being so obviously an unsafe practice and also is not in the written methods is true then:

How can this be done in plain view of management and union officials and still be allowed to continue?

How can the Preloaders continue to choose to put themselves in such obvious danger in this way?

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
I

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Richard Harrow,

Thank for your contribution.

This is not intended to be a discussion for griping or complaining about UPS in any way.

I would love to hear about any of the injuries and the manner in which they were reported and handled by you and by your management team that you have incurred while working on the boxline in the past.

The question that frames this whole discussion is:

Is climbing in and on the Boxline part of the written training methods that a boxline preloader gets during the initial job training period?

Sincerely,
I

It's been a long time, so I don't know.

I do recall them hiring a kid right after me who was maybe 5'7" and they gave him a top cage set. I used to have to climb into the top cage and I'm well over 6'.

oldngray

nowhere special
It's been a long time, so I don't know.

I do recall them hiring a kid right after me who was maybe 5'7" and they gave him a top cage set. I used to have to climb into the top cage and I'm well over 6'.

The top cages you have to stretch but the middle cages were worse for most people with how you had to bend and end up with a sore back.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Look it up.
moreluck,

Could you give me some details that might assist me in finding it?

Date, Location maybe?

I really would appreciate it.

I would much rather hear your description of what you know about it, but I would appreciate any info you would be gracious enough to provide also.

Sincerely,
I

moreluck

golden ticket member
moreluck,

Could you give me some details that might assist me in finding it?

Date, Location maybe?

I really would appreciate it.

I would much rather hear your description of what you know about it, but I would appreciate any info you would be gracious enough to provide also.

Sincerely,
I
no, thanks!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
1) I was a preloader and a PT Sup on a boxline
2) The proper method of the sorter is to leave packages at the front of the cage, but that doesn't happen with heavy volume
3) The boxline runs slow enough where you should be able to get most packages out of the cage and preload the truck.
4) If you're not tall enough to reach the back, you ASK for a hook so you can pull packages from the back of the cage.
5) You're condescending tone to people that answer your questions on an internet forum prove you have character issues.
6) Happy Thanksgiving

upschuck

4) If you're not tall enough to reach the back, you ASK for a hook so you can pull packages from the back of the cage.
I am pretty tall, I I could not reach the back of the cage, they are at least 4 ft deep, if not 6ft. I have never seen a hook for cages, I have seen and used ones for retrieving packages under the boxline.
2) The proper method of the sorter is to leave packages at the front of the cage, but that doesn't happen with heavy volume
The cages are jammed packed when preload starts, so packages are all the way to the back of the cage.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I am pretty tall, I I could not reach the back of the cage, they are at least 4 ft deep, if not 6ft. I have never seen a hook for cages, I have seen and used ones for retrieving packages under the boxline.

The cages are jammed packed when preload starts, so packages are all the way to the back of the cage.

Certain UPS jobs are not for everyone.
When you are trained as a preloader in a boxline system, if you are incapable of getting the packages at the back of the cage, they find you something else to do.
I've worked here 21 years in MY building, and they will give preloaders hooks to get items in the back of the cage. I don't speak for other hubs.
Because this is an end-range motion, it can be deemed a safety issue. Your safety committee can work on it.
For a dollar, you can have one made yourself and leave it in one of the trucks you preload. UPS doesn't supply you gloves, but if you want a pair for comfort or safety, you either ask or get some yourself.

upschuck

Certain UPS jobs are not for everyone.
When you are trained as a preloader in a boxline system, if you are incapable of getting the packages at the back of the cage, they find you something else to do.
I've worked here 21 years in MY building, and they will give preloaders hooks to get items in the back of the cage. I don't speak for other hubs.
Because this is an end-range motion, it can be deemed a safety issue. Your safety committee can work on it.
For a dollar, you can have one made yourself and leave it in one of the trucks you preload. UPS doesn't supply you gloves, but if you want a pair for comfort or safety, you either ask or get some yourself.
You are joking, right? No hook for cages here, and I, nor anyone else is going to spend money on a hook for the cages. We are suppose to be given the tools to do the job properly, and Plasticman would have a hard job getting those boxes from the back of the cage.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You are joking, right? No hook for cages here, and I, nor anyone else is going to spend money on a hook for the cages. We are suppose to be given the tools to do the job properly, and Plasticman would have a hard job getting those boxes from the back of the cage.

I'm not disagreeing with you.
We had a safety committee that made sure hooks were supplied to preloaders if asked.
That is my building. All I can tell you to do is file a grievance if you want them to give you one.