On Topic Boxline Preloaders (Past or Present) Only

Integrity

Binge Poster
Happy Thanksgiving Brethren,

While flying about the facilities recently I couldn't help but notice a practice that concerns me for the safety of the Preloaders who work around the conveying system referred to at UPS as boxlines.

I happened to notice a great many of you climbing on and in these contraptions while they were in motion.

These seems to me that this is not a safe practice. Before moving forward on this concern is this practice part of the written methods taught during the initial training for this job at UPS?

Sincerely,
I
PS
The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we will not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
There are safety rules.....if idiots choose to ignore them, then fatalities happen.......short cuts can kill.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I was a boxline preloader. Those were the days. We uses to get cuts all the time from sharp edges, sprained ankles from stepping down from cages, end-range motions causing strains.

But UPS claims to be all about safety.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I was never a pre-loader but what I've noticed is that the cages are deep and sometimes they have no choice but to climb in them,especially if they're pulling a top cage and the loader is short.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I was a boxline preloader. Those were the days. We uses to get cuts all the time from sharp edges, sprained ankles from stepping down from cages, end-range motions causing strains.

Richard Harrow,

Thank for your contribution.

This is not intended to be a discussion for griping or complaining about UPS in any way.

I would love to hear about any of the injuries and the manner in which they were reported and handled by you and by your management team that you have incurred while working on the boxline in the past.

The question that frames this whole discussion is:

Is climbing in and on the Boxline part of the written training methods that a boxline preloader gets during the initial job training period?

Sincerely,
I

moreluck

golden ticket member
moreluck,

Are you a Boxline Preloader (Past or Present)?

Sincerely,
I
Hubby ran a center in SLC and they had a boxline fatality soon after the opening of the west. The fact that I am not a loader does not make the experience any less legitimate where lessons can be learned.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving in your exclusive club.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I was never a pre-loader but what I've noticed is that the cages are deep and sometimes they have no choice but to climb in them,especially if they're pulling a top cage and the loader is short.
Big Arrow Down,

There is always a choice.

Adults are responsible for the choices they make and the consequences resulting from these choices.

That being said,

Since you are not a preloader (past or present) and you chose to come into this discussion thread anyway I need your input.

Does this look like a safe practice to you?

Do you think it is part of the written methods for this job?

How do you think a severe injury resulting from climbing in and on the on the boxline would be handled?

Sincerely,
I

oldngray

nowhere special
Boxlines used to be much more unsafe. It took some serious injuries and deaths to change things. Now it has probably swung too far to the other side with too many little nitpicky rules in the interest of safety. Most are improvements but others are more lip service to make things seem safer.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hubby ran a center in SLC and they had a boxline fatality soon after the opening of the west. The fact that I am not a loader does not make the experience any less legitimate where lessons can be learned.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving in your exclusive club.
moreluck,

This is not an exclusive club.

The purpose is to eliminate some of the nonsense that comes from many that frequent this site.

Based upon your experience and knowledge you certainly would be a valued contributor so please feel welcome.

Can you tell me more about this boxline fatality?

Privately or here.

I am really interested this?

Happy Thankgiving to You and your family!

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Boxlines used to be much more unsafe. It took some serious injuries and deaths to change things. Now it has probably swung too far to the other side with too many little nitpicky rules in the interest of safety. Most are improvements but others are more lip service to make things seem safer.
oldngray,

How were they much more unsafe?

What injuries and what deaths?

What improvements are you talking about?

Please elaborate on your post if you will, PM if you want.

Sincerely,
I

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Big Arrow Down,

There is always a choice.

Adults are responsible for the choices they make and the consequences resulting from these choices.

That being said,

Since you are not a preloader (past or present) and you chose to come into this discussion thread anyway I need your input.

Does this look like a safe practice to you?

Do you think it is part of the written methods for this job?

How do you think a severe injury resulting from climbing in and on the on the boxline would be handled?

Sincerely,
I
Obviously it's not a safe practice and no it's not part of the methods, the problem is the speed of the carousel the loader is to pull their cage at the power zone and load 4 trucks and when the cage passes it's no longer in the power zone and therefore they climb the cage to get the packages out, all the while the sup is yelling not to let the cage pass ( 18 minutes per rotation)and no stacking, that's how they keep up and that's why they climb...

Integrity

Binge Poster
These are the questions of a "child". Does it look safe? Really???

Notifying next of kin is how it's handled!!
moreluck,

That question was meant for Big Arrow Down...D in response to his post.

Not in context to your part of the discussion. I have followed up with your post.

Sincerely,
I

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Those were the days when your finger would be cut off and you took the tape gun and taped that bitch back on then kept Rollin'

Integrity

Binge Poster
Obviously it's not a safe practice and no it's not part of the methods, the problem is the speed of the carousel the loader is to pull their cage at the power zone and load 4 trucks and when the cage passes it's no longer in the power zone and therefore they climb the cage to get the packages out, all the while the sup is yelling not to let the cage pass ( 18 minutes per rotation)and no stacking, that's how they keep up and that's why they climb...
Big Arrow Down...D,

If what you say is true then how can an obvious unsafe practice that can not be supported by training be accepted as standard operating procedure?

How can this be done in plain view of management and union officials and still be allowed to continue?

How can the Preloaders continue to choose to put themselves in such obvious danger in this way?

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
I