(On Topic Only Please) Ever experience Stewards who appear more sympathetic to UPS than they do the employees.?

RTW FTW

Happens everywhere you go I'm betting.

There was a poem written long ago about guys like you:

View attachment 392473
Again, I’m hurt. lol. There’s been a lot written about turncoats too. But I only lurk on here to laugh and remind myself just how fortunate I am.

I meant everyone was against me sarcastically too btw. As if I hadn’t been in that position from the union itself. It’s comical hearing people say they’d remain members of the union, even if they participated in their discharge. Not just a steward, but the local. Maybe it’s too unbelievable to truly comprehend? Regardless, I know what transpired. And judging the outcome it seems the neutral party, the government, agrees with me. Too bad I can’t convince keyboard thugs otherwise.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Again, I’m hurt. lol. There’s been a lot written about turncoats too. But I only lurk on here to laugh and remind myself just how fortunate I am.

I meant everyone was against me sarcastically too btw. As if I hadn’t been in that position from the union itself. It’s comical hearing people say they’d remain members of the union, even if they participated in their discharge. Not just a steward, but the local. Maybe it’s too unbelievable to truly comprehend? Regardless, I know what transpired. And judging the outcome it seems the neutral party, the government, agrees with me. Too bad I can’t convince keyboard thugs otherwise.
Unions and collective bargaining built the middle class in this country and should not be discarded when you perceive that something didn't go your way.

My local too was a mess and my choices were to accept it or change it, so I changed it.

But to opt-out of paying dues while continuing to collect the benefits of coworkers efforts makes you a scab in my book....period.

Shorts365

I’ve had a steward or two that have been more deferential to management than I was comfortable with. I’ve also had a couple of complete badasses in terms of advocating for me. I’ve been pressured a few times to become steward myself, but decided not to after talking to the good stewards about it. Turns out being a good steward takes time and effort (shocking, I know.) A steward should know what they’re getting themselves into and be able to commit to the extra time and effort, and also say goodbye to whatever special arrangements they had with management previously.

Last edited:

RTW FTW

Unions and collective bargaining built the middle class in this country and should not be discarded when you perceive that something didn't go your way.

My local too was a mess and my choices were to accept it or change it, so I changed it.

But to opt-out of paying dues while continuing to collect the benefits of coworkers efforts makes you a scab in my book....period.
I’m sure lol. I bet it was a big mess and you committed yourself to fixing things.

If the local is in on the conspiracy, to insinuate one individual can truly make a change is silly. Once I saw what happened I took control of my own destiny.

I was my own savior so I don’t have to depend on someone like the Boston bully 😂

RoswellHub

Over my several decades of experience as a UPS Teamster I have always found it problematic when union stewards are more sympathetic to the company side than they are the employee side.

I have definitely experienced this on multiple occasions.

Anyone else experience union stewards that appear to be company men and not union men?
I am an ex steward but I will chime in why not. I always tried to keep the company in line. But there are times I had to keep the members in line as well.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I have had bad stewards as well, when I was pretty new at UPS we had some nasty old guys in the shop and the steward might have been the worst if the bunch, however there is better ways than turning freeloader. That affects all of us, even me and I am in a different union.
IAM?

35years

Gravy route
41 year Teamster here.

Have I had bad stewards? Yes, one even needlessly turned me in to management for discipline.

Have I had bad B.A.s?
Yep. Most have been lazy and would only fight small battles, and avoid the big ones.

Is it an old boy's club favoring the select few? Absolutely.

Would I ever freeload/scab? Not on your life.

Freeloaders are lower than management in my book. You know they will be the first to cross in a strike. No self dignity. We would all be making $25 an hour with no benefits if we were all freeloaders.

PT Car Washer

41 year Teamster here.

Have I had bad stewards? Yes, one even needlessly turned me in to management for discipline.

Have I had bad B.A.s?
Yep. Most have been lazy and would only fight small battles, and avoid the big ones.

Freeloaders are lower than management in my book. You know they will be the first to cross in a strike. No self dignity. We would all be making $25 an hour with no benefits if we were all freeloaders.
A lot of PT Union members would love to make $25/hr with or without benefits.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I’m sure lol. I bet it was a big mess and you committed yourself to fixing things.

If the local is in on the conspiracy, to insinuate one individual can truly make a change is silly. Once I saw what happened I took control of my own destiny.

I was my own savior so I don’t have to depend on someone like the Boston bully 😂

You are not in control of your own destiny. If you truly want to be an individual in control of your own destiny then self employment is the best path.

Anyway,You still benefit from the negotiated wage and benefits provided to you by collective bargaining, you just stopped paying your share and your using laws red state governments installed to break unions to freeload..

MrBates

I've had two different shop stewards. The first one was a die hard teamster that always took the side of the driver and management was clearly THE ENEMY. The other one loves to wheel and deal and settle things "in house" and be friendly with management. I have some trust issues with the latter.

RTW FTW

41 year Teamster here.

Have I had bad B.A.s?

Luckily Idgf what you think.

I’d feel same way with such petty examples.

You got turned i to management??? Gasp!

Last edited:

RTW FTW

You are not in control of your own destiny. If you truly want to be an individual in control of your own destiny then self employment is the best path.

Anyway,You still benefit from the negotiated wage and benefits provided to you by collective bargaining, you just stopped paying your share and your using laws red state governments installed to break unions to freeload..
Wrong. I’m in complete control.

Sure did stop paying when they attempted to put me on the street on made up accusations, including having deputy guard the building. I can only assume it was because they knew how far they went and you never know what a man would do. But it’s irrelevant now.

I won my case huge. But knowing I’ve blown it with the Bc community, I’m having second thoughts. I may send one large check to get caught back up on dues? Then maybe I’ll earn an emoji!!!

Brownwind

Over my several decades of experience as a UPS Teamster I have always found it problematic when union stewards are more sympathetic to the company side than they are the employee side.

Anyone else experience union stewards that appear to be company men and not union men?
Dude. We’re teamsters…. Oh yeah. The UNITED brotherhood of TEAMSTERS….

Non sequitur

As a matter of fact, it should read turncoats in locals are unacceptable. Benefiting from sacrifice of many men and women, to only coast in the position.
I wanted to be in the union. I was more proud to be in the union that at ups when I was hired. Took about a decade to learn how the good ole boy club works.
I’d never go in management. I have integrity and self respect. That being said, I respect management more than this local’s leadership. At least they openly come after you, never leaving any doubt.
The fight I put up to both of them is my crowning achievement. Wouldn’t change anything.
We are sorry for your experience. Most package drivers get pretty good at reading the tea leaves from their experience with the general public. I'm surprised you want to burn the place down because of the injustices done to you. Short sighted and selfish imo.

RTW FTW

We are sorry for your experience. Most package drivers get pretty good at reading the tea leaves from their experience with the general public. I'm surprised you want to burn the place down because of the injustices done to you. Short sighted and selfish imo.
If you knew the story, I’m confident you would be blown away, while admitting that I made the right decision. But I understand this is a forum that doesn’t provide the opportunity for that to happen.

I’m not wanting to burn it down. I’m wanting change for the good guys I worked with. I’m done and am set up extremely well now, after a long war. I’m the one people call when they’re fired or disciplined. That’s a problem.

The last guy I got his job back, the union told the steward they couldn’t help him. I took the fight upon my shoulders and forced them to take him back. I ask again, if I’m able to get people hired back, why was the union unable. There’s nothing I offer that’s exceptional compared to the resources the locals have.

But yea, some scab I am, according to a few of the warriors on here. They couldn’t last a day in my shoes. The fight I put up took a lot of courage. I was willing to stand alone for what I believed in. My reward is doing whatever I want, whenever I want to do it. You don’t win like that if you weren’t right. Just the facts

The guys I worked with agree they wouldn’t believe it if they hadn’t witnessed it either.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You should write a book it all sounds like a whodunnit

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

RTW FTW

You should write a book it all sounds like a whodunnit
Maybe if I needed the money. But it would’ve been a good read for sure.

What I find the most odd is everyone’s blind loyalty to the union, while immediately disregarding their end of the bargain. No matter what, they get a pass and deserve money.

Brownwind

Sorry about the last reply. I tried to attach it to another thread but it came up on this one. Stay strong and protect the brown shield….