(On Topic Only Please) Ever experience Stewards who appear more sympathetic to UPS than they do the employees.?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Over my several decades of experience as a UPS Teamster I have always found it problematic when union stewards are more sympathetic to the company side than they are the employee side.

I have definitely experienced this on multiple occasions.

Anyone else experience union stewards that appear to be company men and not union men?
Yes
We have a shop steward who is also a safety team member
Plays both sides of the fence to further his cause
Many feel this a conflict of interest
I think it should be one or the other

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes
We have a shop steward who is also a safety team member
Plays both sides of the fence to further his cause
Many feel this a conflict of interest
I think it should be one or the other
I see your point I always was of the opinion shop stewards should be on the safety committee but if you have a company sympathetic steward I can see how this can be a double problem for your work group.

IMO Having a company sympathetic Steward is a serious promotion.

Up In Smoke

I've found being on the committee is the best way to use the grievance procedure to resolve safety issues. No better time than right after the meeting to take step one. Car wash, tire condition, cart audits, parking lot condition and markings, lighting, egress and dozens more immediately after the meeting.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I've found being on the committee is the best way to use the grievance procedure to resolve safety issues. No better time than right after the meeting to take step one. Car wash, tire condition, cart audits, parking lot condition and markings, lighting, egress and dozens more immediately after the meeting.

How many of those issues are resolved by verbal communication ?

(and are they... really ?)

Or, an actual grievance ?

Up In Smoke

Exactly, zero. Every concern has drawn a grievance and every grievance was slow walked until the company finally made some small show of contrition. The company doesn't really care about safety until OSHA shows up. Rolling a flat stone.

qdg2

I see your point I always was of the opinion shop stewards should be on the safety committee but if you have a company sympathetic steward I can see how this can be a double problem for your work group.

IMO Having a company sympathetic Steward is a serious promotion.
and
and

It is/was required for a shop steward to be the Comm. Co-Chair here.

This was to "make sure" no discussion, action or any manner of resolution could be used against a union member.....i.e. observations, demonstrations or information. In other words, observe a UPS driver, civilian, customer....anyone doing anything on the yard....like 30 mph, running stop signs etc....it went to die at the Safety Committee. How about 20 mph INSIDE the building?

Our Steward/Sfty Co-Ch./Asst BA spends more time in the office than doing their bid job. Which happens to be in the ORS office........see?

So much time and such.....I asked if they had been promoted....see?

In appearance and perception......our Safety Committee is a jobs program........especially with the members working both ends against the middle as they say....

Now, you say, "Not your place to cause any "harm" to another Teamster".....fair enough......as the fatalities pile up....

But then....what about the innocent victims?

Our facility has massive security and safety problems.....the last place would be the Safety Comm. or even the Division Mgr. who both know exactly what's going on.....

Non sequitur

I could care less if you believe 1% of what I say.

And if pay and benefits are enough, why have a thick contract? Entertainment purposes only?

If everyone had my philosophy, the union (weak locals) would be stronger. Amazing what accountability will do.

I may redact names and post the statements my “stewards” wrote on me? But then again, you’re in a cult that blinds you from common sense, so there’s no use
Is anyone reading this dude's replies?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I had one shop steward that was great, I always tried to use him whenever possible. Everybody respected him on both sides. He seldom actually ran his route, he often was busy representing drivers and running missloads. He walked into the Center one day and resigned with no warning when he became a Business Agent. His replacement has big shoes to fill. I had the honor of hanging his Circle of Honor jacket on his shoulders during his ceremony. We had one that was totally useless, he spent most of every morning trying to move his work onto other drivers. There was no way I wanted him to represent me for anything, I had to sit in the office one night to witness him getting a warning letter for not clocking out for lunch. 30-year driver? Another one just ran around looking for grievances against supervisors working, he came across as looking out for himself more than anybody else. Working as a shop steward is a thankless job, my hat is off to all of you that take it on. They seem to be unappreciated a lot to me. A good one is worth his weight in gold.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I agree. Unfortunately there was a disconnect in our Committee. They did not appreciate me bringing up the grievance process as being actually part of the Safety Committee contractual language.

They liked it less when I said I will go to OSHA. They liked it even less whe I did go to OSHA. They liked it even less when I filed a formal complaint with OSHA.

Once I did this once they took me very seriously with every issue I was seeking to address. I have no problem being heard now.

Integrity

Binge Poster
and

and

It is/was required for a shop steward to be the Comm. Co-Chair here.
I like it, as long as the Steward isn’t a company man.
This was to "make sure" no discussion, action or any manner of resolution could be used against a union member.....i.e. observations, demonstrations or information. In other words, observe a UPS driver, civilian, customer....anyone doing anything on the yard....like 30 mph, running stop signs etc....it went to die at the Safety Committee. How about 20 mph INSIDE the building?
Not good.
Our Steward/Sfty Co-Ch./Asst BA spends more time in the office than doing their bid job. Which happens to be in the ORS office........see?
Not good.
So much time and such.....I asked if they had been promoted....see?
I have experienced this as well, serious problem.
In appearance and perception......our Safety Committee is a jobs program........especially with the members working both ends against the middle as they say....
Not good.
Now, you say, "Not your place to cause any "harm" to another Teamster".....fair enough......as the fatalities pile up....
Our Local handles these issues “in house” they are awesome they don’t take crap from guys that can hurt other Teamsters by violating safety training.
But then....what about the innocent victims?
So true.

Our facility has massive security and safety problems.....the last place would be the Safety Comm. or even the Division Mgr. who both know exactly what's going on.....
I wouldn’t go there either.

FozziesDeliveries

Our steward talked a driver out of a 9.5 grievence because the steward "talked it over with the manager and WE decided not to file, it won'thappen again." When others of us bring up filing there always seems to be a "did you tell management first, you should of done that" kind of excuse or similar that he throws out to wriggle out of doing something. Kind of sus....
dd3.png

Thebrownblob

Our steward talked a driver out of a 9.5 grievence because the steward "talked it over with the manager and WE decided not to file, it won'thappen again." When others of us bring up filing there always seems to be a "did you tell management first, you should of done that" kind of excuse or similar that he throws out to wriggle out of doing something. Kind of sus.... View attachment 393576
tell him you want a grievance form. You’ve decided you’re filing