"On Topic" When you were in high school was UPS employment your career plan?

rod

Retired 22 years
Lots of different videos popped up! I watched the one "USPS,UPs, fed ex fails"
Pretty funny/lame stuff. The mail truck left in reverse when the guy hopped out was great!

I think I've seen all those before. There are hundreds of them online. You can't get away with anything now days.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Worked other places that I mostly enjoyed for ten years. That all changed when I got in that 1972 P600 with a manual choke and wooden bulkhead door. Sadly that was 1988.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Never heard of UPS when I was in High School.
Did not know what it was as a freshman in college but the pay and benefits were great.
That was before the full-time drivers and the Teamsters sold the part-timers out ... in multiple contracts and still going strong.

35years

Gravy route
False pride can really be simply viewed as not admitting one's mistakes.

In this discussion it may appear as those who actually thinked they have succeeded in life by ending up with their job as opposed to being grateful for ending up with a decent job in spite of their failures and dysfunction.
I have no false pride as to why I am here.

I can not help but be reminded of the following...
"44Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the same town as Andrew and Peter. 45Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the One Moses wrote about in the Law, the One whom the prophets foretold — Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.” 46“Can anything good come from Nazareth?” Nathanael asked. “Come and see,” said Philip.…

Jesus said, "Now here is a genuine son of Israel--a man of complete integrity." ...and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!"

False humility or false pride?

When someone can not recognize there own pride-fullness they lack humility.
We are all deceived by our own pride-fullness.

AlliSeeisBrown

I'm 22 and just graduated college on the 17th. I've worked pretty typical jobs for someone my age. Retail management, customer service, etc... This particular job has given me pride. Starting from the bottom doing grunt work humbled me. Then working towards and being given the opportunity to drive; it's more money per hour than I've ever made. I'm also working a county job thats working with what I studied in school, but I'm also looking at UPS opportunities that may be available down the road that work with what I studied.

On a side note, this could be just me, but when I was driving this peak season, almost every single day people were asking me how they could get a driving job like mine. People literally aspire to be in our shoes. Also, every time someone asks me where I work and I tell them "UPS". They always reply with "oh, I've heard that's a really good company to work for!". I always think "lol" but that perception is reality. I wouldn't think negatively towards where you end up in your career as long as you know that you worked hard to be where you are.

El Correcto

god is dead
Actually it was senior year when I chose ups. Was standing on next tow teacher when a driver walked in to make a delivery and started making fun of his short shorts. Said something along the lines of you couldn't pay me enough to be out in those. Teacher told me that guy makes more than her without having a college degree. Went to ups after highschool instead of college, wear pants everyday.

Over 70

I have a 4 year college degree in my early 30's. Found many jobs using it for 30-40k a year. All dead end, boring office gigs.

Got into construction field. Could make 40-100k easily with no degree. Big money requires travel, local only work can be feast or famine. Work in very poor conditions at times, little in way of Healthcare or retirement. Much harder on body.

UPS...OK money until you make top rate. Steady work once you're no longer a bottom feeder. Allows me to still do construction work when ups is slow as they are always in need of a guy who can do a,b, or c. Most importantly, I enjoy being out by myself and doing the actual work.

So yes far from my dreams but then again I'm not sure I really ever had true dreams when I left high school other than to be happy.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Integrity this is one thing I agree with you on. Most of my co-workers and myself didn't choose this job, rather we fell back on it.

Myself, I got a seasonal part time job during peak season 97 since they were the first to give me an interview. Was kept on and figured I'd work here and eventually go back to community college. Did just that 3 years later, thinking I'd be able to transfer to a 4 year college and major in engineering. But I messed around too much in community college and ended up dropping out so I could double shift everyday and make enough to move out on my own. Did that and had the most glorious 4 years until the recession hit in 2008. Double shifting became scarce and I was struggling to get by. It was the ultimate reality check that I needed to get a full time position. Trouble was, they stopped offering any full time jobs because of the recession. As a matter of fact, a lot of the newer drivers were forced to come back in the hub because of everyday layoffs. Luckily the economy rebounded and I was able to get the first full time job offered in 4 years in 2012, a driving job. Fast forward to now and I feel like the luckiest jerk off ever for landing this great paying job with excellent benefits. It was truly blind luck.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't remember ever wanting to "be" anything in particular. Kinda rolled with whatever came along. Restaurant work, loading trailers, college security, driving at UPS, driving taxi, contracting at Ground....

Dream jobs? No. Adequate and I think I've enjoyed them to a fair extent but there was one thing I thought I never wanted and that was the job of "dad". Boy was I wrong!

I guess I have no dream jobs. I think I'll keep my dreams more family oriented. It's just a job, people.

35years

Gravy route
Most of my co-workers and myself didn't choose this job, rather we fell back on it.

Kind of like the old Bailey building and loan was the backup to building skyscrapers.
When you are in high school your priorities are usually messed up.
Integrity looks at his coworkers and sees workers who ended up at UPS because of their failures and dysfunctions.
Perhaps the world looks at some of us as failures since they believe we did not live up to some contrived notion of what constitutes "success".
Look at all the beautiful stories in this thread of fellow UPSers who realize that "success" is not that "dream job".

Our success is far more than that.
It comes from working an honest job without compromising our principles.
It comes from providing a stable loving home for our families.
It comes from realizing how blessed we are to be children of a loving God.
Merry Christmas all you UPSers!
upload_2016-12-30_23-49-54.jpeg

Box Ox

For many, UPS jobs seem to be a decent default position job for those who fail to achieve what they set out for and/or individuals who are dysfunctional in other areas of their life which makes them a good fit.

Yes. I guess we'll just have to settle for driver pay and benefits.

I dunno about others on here, but I'm better compensated in this job than I'd ever hoped to be in my originally intended career path. Which is why I and lots of other well-educated drivers at my center are with UPS in the first place.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My life-long dream of being a brain surgeon or a fry cook fell through so here I am!

Seriously, I started with the company after the beginning of my Senior year. A buddy of mine from a different school went down to apply as part of a school work program and I tagged along. I was hired for Peak Season in October and the starting pay of $4.25 an hour was twice the minimum wage at the time. I never planned on making this company a career, its just the money was always good. I went to DeVry Tech to study computer design, but was bored with that. I tried a sales job but I wasn't good at that either. I turned 21 and started signing full-time bid lists, it took me several tries to make driver. In the Atlanta Hub, most of the routes are in Downtown Atlanta. I'm not afraid of hard work, my dad was in the furniture business and what we deliver is a lot easier. I used to be introverted, so my driving job fit my personality well. I was always a bid driver, I'm on my fourth route and have been there twenty years. No pickups, I just ride around and DR in subdivisions all day. Once I reached the point where I can retire, the job became a lot more enjoyable knowing that I can walk away at any time. Most of you think I'm crazy, but I'm at a spot where its fun now. I enjoy my customers and co-workers. When I am ready, I'll start the paperwork. As I watch my co-workers that started with me retire, I am starting to look forward to it more.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My life-long dream of being a brain surgeon or a fry cook fell through so here I am!

Seriously, I started with the company after the beginning of my Senior year. A buddy of mine from a different school went down to apply as part of a school work program and I tagged along. I was hired for Peak Season in October and the starting pay of $4.25 an hour was twice the minimum wage at the time. I never planned on making this company a career, its just the money was always good. I went to DeVry Tech to study computer design, but was bored with that. I tried a sales job but I wasn't good at that either. I turned 21 and started signing full-time bid lists, it took me several tries to make driver. In the Atlanta Hub, most of the routes are in Downtown Atlanta. I'm not afraid of hard work, my dad was in the furniture business and what we deliver is a lot easier. I used to be introverted, so my driving job fit my personality well. I was always a bid driver, I'm on my fourth route and have been there twenty years. No pickups, I just ride around and DR in subdivisions all day. Once I reached the point where I can retire, the job became a lot more enjoyable knowing that I can walk away at any time. Most of you think I'm crazy, but I'm at a spot where its fun now. I enjoy my customers and co-workers. When I am ready, I'll start the paperwork. As I watch my co-workers that started with me retire, I am starting to look forward to it more.

Nancy would be proud

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I went from making 9.25 an hour to 18.75 an hour with ups. got my first check for 3 days and I had taken home more than 5 days with my old job.

almost called payroll to report a mistake until i brought out the calculator to check.

OrionsBitch

Not...
Went to college for two years. Took time off got hired full time. I'm happy with my job but I'm young so I figured why not finish my degree and try to do something interesting that I might enjoy more? So about a year away from finishing my degree and will see what happens when I get there. UPS is a simple job. Nothing complicated about it. But delivery companies like UPS, FedEx, USPS make the world go around. Kinda like the vascular system to the global economy. So I try to take some pride in that. Pride isn't determined by how important something might seem to outsiders. If you can't find pride in this job because your job title isn't impressive to other people then that's a sad life to live.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
College not for me , came from a family where my father owned his own business repairing cash registers & my grampa ma's side owned trucking company , worked weekend for father and weekdays and after school and school vacations for grandpa and uncles , dads business was a dying breed due to computer age and uncles went out due to deregulation , friend sent me to UPS for part time peak Twi in 87 , let go after peak and told to reapply , did in Jan 89 , was told they needed drivers for fill ins , and I was going to be the fill in for a while , Three guys went in , I was only one that could drive a stick !!Never laid off and never looked back ! Basically off the street since I only worked two months the yr before , No regrets !!