One Company...

Ms Spoken

Someone please pass the trash can I think I'm going to be sick. Have a great long weekend.
Dont forget to ask your all your friends if they need UPS shipping.

How about giving the lead driver getting 10% of the first months shipping revenue and 1% for the rest of a twelve month period and you`ll be swimming in leads. Otherwise as previously posted,get off your behind.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
I tell you one thing, I know I could do a lot better job at sales than a BD person. And I know there is no way a BD person could ever come close to even thinking about trying to do the job I do as a package driver.

Yes that is a put down. Either UPS needs to get more sales reps. to service our customers, or make the current ones have alot more accountability for the current area they are responsible for.

I don't have the time or the patience to type all the things our "Sales Reps" can do to make there saleries justified.

My comment in no way suggested a comparison between jobs. I know the job of a package car driver and business developement person as well. My point was only to see the business from another perspective. All jobs at UPS have value, from growing the business to servicing the business.[/QUOTE]
CHANNAHON.....

I am in no way compairing the jobs, nor am I saying I would even want to do their job. Having to sell a product to anyone is a crap job IMO. And I love my job as a driver (just the company blows at times, I DO NOT BLEED BROWN, and can't stand those who do). However I like what I do for a living.

What I'm trying to say is that if they (BD) had numbers held over them for every movement they make in a day, the way we do...I bet UPS would get alot more out of them....and in turn both the customer and UPS would benefit.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I remember when the Sales Reps were drivers prior to going into management. I remember those guys and gals being in the center every morning, and accessible. I also remember having respect for them because their hands had been dirty. The respect was mutual, they had also been in my shoes.

Today? Now we get these clowns that have zero clue about the UPS culture. They (when you see them) walk in the building with a cell phone stuck in their ear, and they ain’t talking business, not UPS business anyway.

I have no idea who the "sales rep" for my area is. My customers haven't seen one in years. Their told to "sign up on line and figure it out yourself". The last couple of leads I turned in weren't "big enough" to call for two months, so they love me, but use the competition.:mad:

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
I've done a couple "driver follow alongs" in the past. Not sure if they even do it anymore. Yup, those were actual drivers who were promoted and were then in the BD area. They knew their stuff, and were good. Now adays, some of these guys won't follow up unless they know it'll produce big $$$. I've turned in several leads, most saying "Not enough revenue". Hmmmmm, isn't some revenue better then none? Heck, I've sold a lead that ended up becoming a huge Int'l and domestic overnight shipper. They started small, and are commited to UPS since we commited to them so many years ago. Even the small fish can grow big, so none are "too small" to sign an account up for.

What really peeves me is the BD personel automatically assigning a pickup time and GUARANTEEING it to the customer before asking us. I've had a few customers who had pickup times that would really throw me off. Luckily, I was able to sway them all to a different time (since an hour later they didn't ship any other packages), but I would've been bouncing back and forth on my pickup route instead of a smooth loop.

Funny, I've converted about every customer I can think of on my route (I pickup a majority of the pickups on my route, volume that is). I had two people I had been working with trying to convert. I even told my supervisor last year about them, and NOT to bug them, since they told me they'd switch when they were ready. Guess what? Somebody sent a BD guy out to talk with both customers. Both were hot with me (thinking I submitted the lead). Now they won't touch us. Found out it was a management person doing a checkup on me (have other drivers had this happen where your boss just stops by an account and ask how you are doing?????). I've calmed both down, but they are further from switching now then they were before.

Onto sales leads. Yeah, I'm about fed up with them. I convinced a company to switch from DHL. About 10 overnights a day everyday (sometimes more, sometimes less). Guess what? I get ZERO credit for it. Why? I got credit for turning in sales lead, but since they ship via waybill, I get nothing for this volume. Eventhough they can track how much they're shipping by simply looking at my pickup log or looking at the billing (heck, they're making more off them since they charge a filling fee as well ontop of the shipping charge).

If you want to check out your sales leads, you can do it on UPSers.com. Not exactly sure where off top of my head, but can find it going through my workspace I think.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
At one time you could assess your sales leads on line, then it disappeared. I was told we could only check them on the desktop set up at our center, but no one has a password.

I used to know the sales people, now I havent see one in months. I have never been one, but have seen what they do, all of our jobs are hard. And as someone said, when they dont come from the ranks and dont know our business, I dont think they can sell it. And the promising of guaranteed pick up times without any input from the center is just wrong.

Brownnblue

A few years ago, I had a center manager falsely accuse me of leaving sloppy, incomplete delivery notices. During the conversation, he interrupted what I was trying to say and told me "that I had very poor conversational skills."

Well, I certainly do not want to embarrass the company by trying to articulate how our services are better than the competition in a poor manor!!! Maybe I should go back and review some of the material that I learned en route to earning my BA in Human Services before I attempt to sell any of our services.

If I am doing something wrong with my job, you have every right to correct me. Since this insult did not emanate from any kind of complaint, the center manager really had no right to say what he said. Sorry boys, you can't have it both ways.

Interestingly, a couple of years ago we had a PCM that centered around sales leads; the supervisor announced that if a driver had not submitted a sales lead that the management team would soon be coming around and asking why. It never happened. Sort of like the problems you have following up on sales leads. Sort of like the problems you have finding BD people.

Don't get me wrong, I think that all of my fellow posters have VERY, VERY, VERY VALID REASONS FOR NOT PURSUING SALES LEADS. I just thought I would vent and offer a slightly different perspective.

Pip

Company is really desperate(probably could have used a better word), when they ask us mechanics to turn in sales leads.

During The TSP information session we had back in April where we were told our goals. They had it were we are supposed to also turn in sales leads. I just about had a cow over that. I work 12:30am til 9am, 99% of the time I am in a 2 bay shop working on package cars. How am I supposed to also be hunting sales leads, let alone sometimes dirty as all get out? I really don't think I need to be doing it when I am not on the clock at home.

I'm all for helping the company for the better good. I just happen to think somebody was sipping some high octane happy juice, when they came up with that idea.

mis_load

Remember back in the 70 and 80's is wasn't BD.,we were customer service representatives. We did everything from getting leads from drivers and tracers, driver follow- ups. We wore more hats that the company has today. I think one of the biggest problems today is UPS has loss that personal contact with our customers. Because your AE don't stay in the area before they are move,or has the take on more area. Drivers are still the best source of leads, even today. It's the way BD processes the leads, through a telemarketing, these people are clue less when it comes to UPS. In my center we had 101 leads turn in and 25 have been sold. What is going on?? Drivers will not turn in leads if they don't see them being sold. Right now freight leads are selling in our area, we just don't have enough sales rep or AE to handle the volume of leads coming in, this is out of 33 centers in my district. We all want to retire one day, and want UPS to be around for another 100yrs. so, we can draw retirement. I just hope in my heart of heart UPS wakes up soon, this see that personal contact with customer shows what UPS is all about.

tieguy

Banned
Hey I got an idea, why dont you give us a place to go to see if they have been followed up on, and the tools to make sure we get the right amount for the ones that do get sold, UPS and Freight. .

tooner you can go on upsers.com and check on or even submit sales leads

tieguy

Banned
Interesting thread............

hope the corporate BD person is reading through it. Lots of feedback here most of it negative.

Can we agree that we want our company to handle those packages and not the other guy?

I see drivers that do a terrific job getting sold sales leads. They work the natural love relationship most customers have with their driver. They see what the shippers in their area do everyday. They talk to those shippers or employees working the shipping docks who usually provide us with some great inside information that a BD person would never be able to get.

Can we take a different route and share some positive stories from those who are not offended at being asked to help the company they made their career choice?

Pip

Tieguy:

Can we take a different route and share some positive stories from those who are not offended at being asked to help the company they made their career choice?

Yep I can. Hagerstown,MD. center is leading the Atlantic District 400 race in sales leads. More then doubled the next closest center in sales leads producing with 1 week to go in the competition.(which I think ends this weekend). Winners get the following for 1st place.

1st place
· 6 Skybox tickets to Nextel Cup Dover 400 – Sunday, June 3, 2007
· 10 Grandstand tickets to Busch Series Dover 200 Saturday, June 2, 2007

The guys are doing a good job!

On another note. Down in the Frederick center, A driver last year was able to take a 2 week trip to Cancun or Hawaii(one of those places) for 2 weeks just off the money he was getting for the sales leads he did over the year. Think it totaled up to something like $5500 or so. He was just kicking butt.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
I'm sorry Tie, but your a brown bleeder and that bugs me. UPS is my career choice and I love it. I love my job and the joy it gives me to put in a good days work for a good days pay. However it ends there. UPS is my job. I work there because I get a check every week. Even through I enjoy my work...if they stopped paying me...I would not come in. What I'm, trying to say is I owe UPS nothing more than to do the job I get paid for. UPS in turns owes me nothing more than to pay me for the job I do for them.

I sorry, but drumming up business for UPS is not my job nor a career choice I would have made for myself. I get paid to del. and P/U packages and making sure my customers are as happy as they can be with MY service.

It comes down to this...'Hey driver help BD do there job'
Where's the, 'Hey driver....BD is gonna take a few stops from you today to help you out'

You can't have a two way street and a one way street next to each other without a crash. And that what pushing us for sell leads is. Hey driver, do your job, and theirs, so they can do their job....and that's it.

I hope I have made a logical point and none of this is said with any malice. This is just how I feel...AND I GO TO SALES LEAD MEETINGS FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
tooner you can go on upsers.com and check on or even submit sales leads
I did and it is working for me now, it must have been down before. But heres a for instance, I cant check to see if its producing. One I put in says checking volume account sold. I was told it came back NO OPPORTUNITY.
I still dont see where you can submit them, although I used to find that link.

mittam

Ditto, I think we could all just say DITTO to all the posts on this thread. I drove 200 miles everyday this week and that was the message 2 & 3 times a day "get your leads in today", how about get your sorry behind out of the cushy office with the nice heat in winter and air in summer and do what we do. I have turned in several over the last 5 years and nothing has come of them. A few I covered for the bid driver and after turning the leads in they asked him (the sales reps) if they were good leads, he said yes but he can't handle the extra work they were never followed up nothing!

tieguy

Banned
I did and it is working for me now, it must have been down before. But heres a for instance, I cant check to see if its producing. One I put in says checking volume account sold. I was told it came back NO OPPORTUNITY.
I still dont see where you can submit them, although I used to find that link.

Hi tooner,
on my workspace , click on the growth link on the left, then take charge link. Though not working right now.

tieguy

Banned
I'm sorry Tie, but your a brown bleeder and that bugs me. UPS is my career choice and I love it. I love my job and the joy it gives me to put in a good days work for a good days pay. However it ends there. UPS is my job. I work there because I get a check every week. Even through I enjoy my work...if they stopped paying me...I would not come in. What I'm, trying to say is I owe UPS nothing more than to do the job I get paid for. UPS in turns owes me nothing more than to pay me for the job I do for them.

I sorry, but drumming up business for UPS is not my job nor a career choice I would have made for myself. I get paid to del. and P/U packages and making sure my customers are as happy as they can be with MY service.

I disagree. If your sup tells you to go out and find sales leads while your out doing what you consider to be "your job" then guess what its now "your job" to do so.

And without trying to be overly dramatic here in the scope of things if fdx took our business and we did absolutely nothing to stop them or to generate new business then "your job" and my job could very well cease to exist.

You can't have a two way street and a one way street next to each other without a crash. And that what pushing us for sell leads is. Hey driver, do your job, and theirs, so they can do their job....and that's it.

Its not about doing their job. Its about using a powerfull tool you have called area knowledge to point them in the right direction.
Its about using the relationship you have built with that area over the years to help us win business.

oakland

I don't mind turning in sales leads. Most of the new or returning customers I have on my route tell me that we are the best out there. I don't brow beat anyone, I just use the diad to submit leads without talking to the customer. The sales rep can talk to them. I submit as much accurate info as possible to help them get their job done. I know the reps are gettin out in our area. One thing I hate is pulling up to a dock and seeing one or two FedEx trucks there in my way either slowing me down or taking my volume. The idea that if you get more business means your job will get harder may have some truth, but any driver knows having a more condensed a route is better than taking splits from other routes. Besides your car is going to go out heavy regardless. You can try to maintain your route and keep is tight or watch it evolve into a split car. It's real simple, if you see a white truck that says FedEx or a yellow one that says DHL picking up on your route submit a lead in the diad.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
Tie,

Don't get me wrong. I do know more about my area than DB and I have the advantage over them in finding new leads. They just make ME personally feel like I have to do all the leg work for them so all they need to do is just walk in with contract in hand and be done.

As far a my SUP telling me to do something so now it's my job that is CRAP. Just because I am told to do something doesn't mean its my job to do it. I like helping out my on roads in the morning when I can. But when I'm givin a list of drivers to go find so that the center manager can talk with them, I'm sorry, not my reponsibility. It's not my job to tell other drivers where to go and who to report to, even if I'm told to do so. Your statment is one step away of saying if my sup tells me to do ANYTHING THEY WANT then I'm obligated to do so. That's just not fair. I, like everyone, have a job description. I shouldn't have to wonder each day I roll into work if my sup is going to add or delete what my roll at UPS is.

Please under stand that my post are not venting or directed at any other post as a personal attack. It is just how I fell. I try give as much info as possible so that my point of view is understood.

Also just a bit of info about me. I am not a hard core Teamsters guy, nor am I a hard core UPS guy. I'm just a guy who wants to do my job and make a good living. There are Sups. that are complete scum and the are Drivers that are about as useful as a bucket of mud. So when I post in forms it's from a neutal stand point. Also, been coming to this site for years and just starting posting so I hope I'm doing a service to the veiwers of this site.

As far as losing customers and our jobs that's UPS's managment's doing. When we went from a company that did everything possible to service the customer (Linefights, late P/U's etc.) to a company that has to have good profit numbers for the public, that's when things started going south. UPS has no forsight, not like they used to. Take a huge lost on a letter linefight to make customer happy and keep that business......now we just let the friend up's sit because it is more cost effective. We are a completely differant SERVICE company now than we where 10 years ago, AND NOT FOR THE BETTER !!! I'm know business major, but I'm sure happy customers lead to better profits in the long run. We are a profit first and customer second company now. That's why we are losing business. We have become just like the competion. Price and profit over service....thats what I feel our downfall is.